Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using Old router which is now broken.

This is a discussion on Using Old router which is now broken. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, First post. Let me first explain the situation as I may be getting ahead of myself in buying a ...

cordenadam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Using Old router which is now broken.

Hi,

First post. Let me first explain the situation as I may be getting ahead of myself in buying a new router.

Been a sky broadband user for 5 years since moving into a new house.

Had their pre supplied little white netgear router for all of 4 or 5 months before we decided that it wasn't good enough. Mains problems with it were dropping out and it didnt reach across the whole house.

Brought another Netgear router which I have no idea what it is, white verticle standing box which at the time seemed like top notch money for a router around 150 from John Lewis.

Didnt realise it wasn't that simple hacked the origional sky one and got all the data i needed and set up the new one have had no problems at all up until around 2 or 3 months ago.

around 3 months ago, we would loose internet connection randomly having to reset the router, over the last 2 or 3 weeks this it has no been unbareable. I use xbox live alot and that would disconnect for fun, meaning having to reset the router.

Gave sky a call yesterday as i got fed up and they said i had no faults that would cause the drop outs and it was weird that it happened as the internet light was on, even when hard wired it wasn't working.

I reset the router and moved it to the master socket as advised she was able to up the line speed to 12meg instead of the 4mb i was getting from other phone lines.

She said I may have a wiring problem and that you can just leave it connected to the master socket.

Had no problems for all of 4 hours until xbox live cut out and none of the computers worked.

how frustrating, now think that its my router which is broken ?

Am I right in thinking this ? I dont have a sky router at all now so cannot extract the details from it again am i now able to simply plug a router in and work or can i get the login details from the router im using now ?

sorry to have rambled.

help in appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      jasw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Using Old router which is now broken.

You should really test with a different router before going out to but another one - may be a line problem. Customer services will just give yoiu "defined" answers

cordenadam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasw View Post
      You should really test with a different router before going out to but another one - may be a line problem. Customer services will just give yoiu "defined" answers
      This women I spoke to seemed to know what was happening, she wasn't the usual type of person telling you to basaically follow instructions that are on her screen. She even called up an hour later to see if everything was ok.

She was able to up my line speed and could tell me what i was getting when i was connected to each telephone point.

I also think its my router beacuse of when i play xbox live. I can test the connection on that and it will do the following:

Test Xbox to the network

then test the network to the internet

and then finally if it all work it will test the internet to xbox live.

I always struggle to connect to my home network even though i have it hard wired.

Nostromo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You can buy another router and use the existing login details to connect.
      Or you could ask Sky to send you another router.
      As you no longer have the original Sky router i dont know if Sky will send one out free or charge you for it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nostromo For This Useful Post:

cordenadam (01-06-11)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you got a difference of 8 Mb between the socket you are using and the Master socket, that suggests your internal wiring is creating a lot of noise on the line. Even in the master socket this noise can still effect your connection. Your best bet would be to buy fit and use a filtered faceplate. This isolates your internal wiring and prevents it interfering in any way.
      XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.