Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router Keeps Disconnecting >_<

This is a discussion on Router Keeps Disconnecting >_< within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I really don't know if it's a problem with the router. Probably is. Might be me. Basically, and it seems ...

Ravensky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Router Keeps Disconnecting >_<

I really don't know if it's a problem with the router. Probably is. Might be me.

Basically, and it seems incredibly random, the router cuts out. Going into the web address thingy (192.168.0.1) and then looking at the Modem Status, it keeps saying something like "ADSL Link Down". On top of this, it will also say "PPP Server Down", and to top it all off, it throws "ADSL TRANING" in my face. I've tried to Google this, but I just get confused at all the words people post relating to it.

Network Type likes to change, too. When it changes to "ADSL Link Down", the Network Tye changes to "PPPoA/MER". It used to just be "PPPoA", but now it's a constant "MER". No clue what they both are, and the A could actually be an E (it's not happening at this moment, so I can't check).

Oh yeah, when it does say "ADSL Link Down", the ADSL cable is still plugged in, so would that mean it would be a problem further down the line? or a faulty Router? I believe it's a SAGEM router. It says the firmware is "2.8Sky".

Resetting the Router doesn't always work, either :/ it happened about 9 times in the space of 30 minutes yesterday. It happened again around 10 minutes ago after it had been working fine for pretty much half the day.

It has worked pretty perfectly before this started happening. It started happening around last week Monday, or so.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Router Keeps Disconnecting >_<

What you are describing sounds like a line fault.

Could you plug a corded telephone into the Test Socket, dial '1' and listen carefully for any noise.

From your description I am inclined to suspect the wind. It may be that you have overhead telephone lines and they have become damaged. Typically this can be caused by a tree that is close to the telephone line.

If you hear any noise, then you will need to call your telephone provider (i.e. who you pay your line rental to).

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It'll mean you're dropping sync - have a look at the internet light on the router and what lights are you seeing? A flashing amber internet light?

How many telephone sockets do you use?
      Is there a microfilter connected directly into each telephone socket in use, ensuring that nothing is before the filter?
      Is the router connected to the master socket or an extension socket?
      Are you using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided, or running an extension telephone cable to the router?
      Do you have Sky tv connected to any telephone sockets?
      Do you have a test socket?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

Ravensky (30-05-11)

Ravensky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      What you are describing sounds like a line fault.

Could you plug a corded telephone into the Test Socket, dial '1' and listen carefully for any noise.

From your description I am inclined to suspect the wind. It may be that you have overhead telephone lines and they have become damaged. Typically this can be caused by a tree that is close to the telephone line.

If you hear any noise, then you will need to call your telephone provider (i.e. who you pay your line rental to).
      Ah. That doesn't sound good :/ I'll have a lookie within the week. I don't have much time right now to unscrew everything

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      It'll mean you're dropping sync - have a look at the internet light on the router and what lights are you seeing? A flashing amber internet light?

How many telephone sockets do you use?
      Is there a microfilter connected directly into each telephone socket in use, ensuring that nothing is before the filter?
      Is the router connected to the master socket or an extension socket?
      Are you using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided, or running an extension telephone cable to the router?
      Do you have Sky tv connected to any telephone sockets?
      Do you have a test socket?
      On the router, there is indeed an amber flashing light.

There is a microfilter connected into the telephone socket. The guy who put our phone in has plugged a microfilter into a microfilter, then plugged another microfilter in and plugged the phone into that. Pretty sure it's unecessary, and it's messy.

Come to think if it, these problems have been happening since that bloody phone got put in. Could that be a potential problem?

I'll get back to you on the rest of the questions tomorrow. Need to have a look around. I've been busy all day and this piece of crap has been playing up all day.

I really wish I could use a different router, since a huge pile of horse manure with all the wires plugged in the back is much better than this usless piece of junk. Actually, I'm being too kind on that statement.

One thing I am sure on is that the small gray DSL cable that Sky supplied is being used to connect the router.

Nostromo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensky View Post
      Ah. That doesn't sound good :/ I'll have a lookie within the week. I don't have much time right now to unscrew everything

There is a microfilter connected into the telephone socket. The guy who put our phone in has plugged a microfilter into a microfilter, then plugged another microfilter in and plugged the phone into that. Pretty sure it's unecessary, and it's messy.

Come to think if it, these problems have been happening since that bloody phone got put in. Could that be a potential problem?
      You only need one microfilter from the phone socket one lead goes to the router the other to the phone.