Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Model?

This is a discussion on Which Model? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, A few years ago, I was one of the first people to take up Sky Broadband. Aside from ...

Gav
      Gav is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Which Model?

Hi all,

A few years ago, I was one of the first people to take up Sky Broadband. Aside from a disconnection issue (which was actually caused by a line fault), it was great. Sky provided a top of the range DG834GT router, and my line synced at a very healthy 15Mbps or so.

I appreciate it's not very economical for Sky to be shipping such a fancy router any more, and I understand that they ship a Sagem router now. Is that correct? I've seen a couple of models mentioned, I was just wondering what they're actually shipping now?

I'm not actually planning on using the Sky supplied router (other than to grab my details from it), will this cause problems with DLM?

I'm coming from O2, and I have no problems whatsoever. I can use any ADSL2+ router, I get 15/1.3 sync speeds and fairly close to that in terms of download speeds to (minus the overheads). I currently have a service that's been up, is stable, fast and unrestricted (unlike the new O2 packages which have a FUP).

I'm hoping Sky will be the same (I know they were back in '07)... what do you think?

- Gav

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Which Model?

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
      I've seen a couple of models mentioned, I was just wondering what they're actually shipping now?
      You will probably get the Sagem 2304n.

I'm not actually planning on using the Sky supplied router (other than to grab my details from it), will this cause problems with DLM?
      Nope

I'm coming from O2, and I have no problems whatsoever. I can use any ADSL2+ router, I get 15/1.3 sync speeds and fairly close to that in terms of download speeds to (minus the overheads). I currently have a service that's been up, is stable, fast and unrestricted (unlike the new O2 packages which have a FUP).

I'm hoping Sky will be the same (I know they were back in '07)... what do you think?
      Your upstream will not be as high as it is with o2. You should be able to get a similar downstream though. What would really help is you posting your router stats.

Gav
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      Your upstream will not be as high as it is with o2. You should be able to get a similar downstream though. What would really help is you posting your router stats.
      Thanks for that. Why would be upstream be any slower? I'm on O2's Annex A package so I get 15/1.3, which I'm expecting to also achieve on Sky.

My SNR/Attenuation are all very healthy, so if I can get it on O2, I should be able to get it on Sky?

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Thanks

Sky enforce a supposed 7db margin on the upstream
      though its 99% of the time 9db

O2 is 6db i believe

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Most members who have posted their stats in the past few months report upload speeds in the range of .9Mb-.98Mb.

Whilst the connection speed difference between O2 & Sky is such that Sky is slightly slower on the same line, I understand that O2 recently introduced capping on their BB products.

If you are able to get Sky BB Unlimited, this is not a factor. There is no capping at all.

If your connection speed is more important that you monthly bandwidth allowance, then do look around as there are some who can offer better speeds than O2 if your line is able to support it.

Of the two remaining BB packages from Sky:

Sky BB Home Lite has a monthly allowance of 2Gb. Not a good idea if you wish to download Anytime+ content on a regular basis or any HD content on Anytime+.

Sky BB Connect is a re-badged BT Wholesale product with a 40Gb monthly bandwidth that is narrowed down to a 1.3Gb daily limit. If you go over this, then never go near Sky BB Connect. There are better options.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks for that. Why would be upstream be any slower? I'm on O2's Annex A package so I get 15/1.3, which I'm expecting to also achieve on Sky.

My SNR/Attenuation are all very healthy, so if I can get it on O2, I should be able to get it on Sky?
      It can be seen as a limitation of Sky's equipment in the exchange. In my previous house I had o2 broadband and got a 1.3meg upstream sync despite having a 42db attenuation. On the same line I never managed to get more than 1meg upstream with Sky.

It's very unusual to get a 1.3meg sync on sky while it's a norm over at o2 and this has nothing to with your target SNR.

Gav
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to have to make a decision as to whether or not we do move to O2.

We are on a legacy package with them, which is still unlimited and isn't throttled. If I changed package, or moved away then back, I wouldn't be able to back to this package (which, in case you're interested, is 13/month).

On the subject of line stats (haven't got acesss to them from here or I'd post them), can't I set the target SNR margin on my router, or will the Sky equipment in the exchange force me to sync at a lower speed?

Thanks!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

On the subject of line stats (haven't got acesss to them from here or I'd post them), can't I set the target SNR margin on my router, or will the Sky equipment in the exchange force me to sync at a lower speed?
      Some members have reported that they are able to force the noise margin to be lowered by using their own routers. This has had variable success.

The Sky Routers do not have this facility.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks!
      If sky's DLM decides to set a cap for your connection, due to noise or whatever, then you won't be able to sync any faster. I have read elsewhere that asking to be moved to the gaming profile gets rid of the cap, but I've not done that so I can't confirm if it is correct, or not.

If your connection is capped, you may also find that the downstream noise margin is still reported as 7dB by your router, this is certainly the case since mine was capped, and I can raise my noise margin to over 9dB before I start seeing a fall in sync rate. The DLM has got the sync rate about right for the router I'm currently using though, and I gather Sky are quite good about manually adjusting it too.

Thanks

Amongst the sky routers the Netgear DG834GT with the DG Team firmware is capable of doing this and the D-Link 2640s with fuzzy logics utility (firmware 1.11 only)

But the chances of getting either of these at the moment are quite slim.

I've got the D-link 2640s and my normal stats are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18282 kbps 934 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19.5db 10.4db
      Noise Margin 7.2db 8.0db

SNR tweaked:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 19999 kbps 990 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19.5db 10.9db
      Noise Margin 3.9db 8.0db

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      I have read elsewhere that asking to be moved to the gaming profile gets rid of the cap, but I've not done that so I can't confirm if it is correct, or not.
      I was told the same by a very friendly Sky CST rep. He also told me that setting your interleaving depth to 8ms suspends DLM on your line too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast