Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line Stats

This is a discussion on Line Stats within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Folks, I've temporarily swapped out the Sky Router (2304n) for a Netgear one. Sky are aware of this and ...

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Line Stats

Hi Folks,

I've temporarily swapped out the Sky Router (2304n) for a Netgear one. Sky are aware of this and happy for me to do so at present.

When I first got connected DLM had tried to run and failed. So based on my distance from exchange and downstream Line Attenuation of between 5.0-5.5dB, they set my line at 19996 kbps down.

With all the recent router restarting, and I think DLM has finally started to run, it's changed to:

Downstream connect speed: 16382 kbps
      Line attenuation: 5.5 dB
      Noise Margin: 10.4 dB

(See attached).

So about 9am today, I've swapped my router out for my Netgear DG834N, running DGTeam Firmware. The connect speed is identical to my connect on the 2304N from this morning.

Downstream connect speed: 16379 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 8.0 dB
      Noise Margin: 13.2 dB

Now ... when the line was manually set on 19996 kbps, I had zero errors in the stats, and I'm pretty convinced that the speed has lowered due to frequent restarts.

My question is .... does the line stats look better for the 2304n or the DG834N?

Cheers
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Line Stats-20110506-1121.jpg   Line Stats-20110509-1559.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Line Stats

Call Sky and ask them to reconfigure your line again.

From previous posts, I seem to recall that you have done everything else required (i.e. using the master socket, grey ADSL lead, micro-filters, etc.).

Your noise margin is quite high at present, so unless there are errors on the line, you have room for improvement. If there are errors, the BTO should be called out.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I would leave the Netgear connected and call Sky. Tell them you think DLM has left your speed low due to the router disconnecting, can they put it back up to where it was. Don't mention that you are using another router, irrespective of what Robert says on the Sky forum, they may tell you they can do nothing and hang up.

Slightly of topic but could you say whether you had to spoof the MAC address of the Sky router on your Netgear to get it connected? If so did you use the WAN or LAN MAC?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

Ok, the line had been running from an extension ... but still running quite well. I've bitten the bullet and moved it to the lounge and is currently in the engineers test socket. Therefore all extensions are now dead, and the house isn't acting as a great big antenna!

Still using the netgear, it has reconnected as thus:
      Downstream Speed 16379 kbps
      Line Attenuation : 6.5 dB
      Noise Margin 13.2 dB

I've got an answerphone message from CST ... so will give them a shout shortly, and see what they can do!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I would leave the Netgear connected and call Sky. Tell them you think DLM has left your speed low due to the router disconnecting, can they put it back up to where it was. Don't mention that you are using another router, irrespective of what Robert says on the Sky forum, they may tell you they can do nothing and hang up.

Slightly of topic but could you say whether you had to spoof the MAC address of the Sky router on your Netgear to get it connected? If so did you use the WAN or LAN MAC?
      Yeah will call Sky now. Robert reset it for me on Friday, but I didn't get chance to disconnect the 2304n and it locked up again! Doh!

No, I simply entered my username and password, changed it to PPPoA, VPI 0, VCI 38. <- I'd left it at 40, not realising that MER and PPPoA require different numbers. Once I'd changed it to 38 it connected immediately.

Thanks

Called Sky ...

Put me manually onto "fastest gaming profile". 20 Meg down, 1.2 Meg up.

See attached:

Hurrah!
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Line Stats-20110509-1730.jpg  

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Much better

Extensions are never recommended. It is one of the most common causes for slowing people down and never mentioned in the letter which they send you.

A filtered faceplate isn't going to improve things much for you now, but you may want to consider fitting one.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

In the first house that I bought, the line was so poor, I managed to get BTO to pull in a new line down the road. Quite an achievement! But it took a lot of time and effort proving that the line was capable of much more, used to perform much better and suddenly started getting lots of errors. Including multiple engineer visits and constant performance monitoring by using the test socked constantly with a scheduled test application.

My second place, I had another line put in, just for work purposes, and used that in my office for the internet and business calls. So no extensions.

I've recently sold my place, so this one is rented ... hence not too fussed about changing faceplates etc. Quite happy to keep the current faceplate unscrewed and use the test socket. The phones are all DECT, and on a different channel to the wifi.

Glad it's looking better ... I've never delved into the stats too much.