Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Getting worried about joining Sky bb

This is a discussion on Getting worried about joining Sky bb within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by silver tractor Hi folks. I'm due to join Sky on 17/5 and have been sent one of ...

Izak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Netgear N900
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Getting worried about joining Sky bb

Quote Originally Posted by silver tractor View Post
      Hi folks. I'm due to join Sky on 17/5 and have been sent one of the notorious dodgy Sagem routers.

I'm getting on a bit (eg an old git) and rely on the internet a great deal for shopping etc because I have severe arthritis and poor mobility.
      The prospect of having connection problems after joining Sky is really worrying me now.

I currently use a D-Link DSL-2740R wireless N router, which is brilliant, gives full strength signal all over the house and has been 100% reliable.

I have read the instructions on how to obtain my Sky details but am not sure whether I have to connect to the Sagem router before running the extract utility? Could someone kindly advise me on that please?

I am unable to set up a wired connection normally because of the location of my telephone point, so have to use wireless connections for both my laptop and desktop pc.

If I could carry on using the D-Link router that would avoid the hassle and worry of using the Sagem one.

Of course I suppose I could cancel the Sky order (broadband, phone and line rental), send the Sagem back to Sky & stay as I am at present
      We're going on Sky Broadband on Wednesday and have received the 'Sagemcom F@ST 2304' router which while looks quite nice and slim (and has striking resemblance to the Sky+ HD boxes), I have already tried setting up a few things on it and came across some problems. Hopefully when the internet goes live, Sky will update and fix the few problems I've come across (mainly with the firewall).

We've switched to Sky because my brother works for them, beforehand we were with TalkTalk and despite all their bad press, we had no issues with their service at all. We have a Netgear DG834G router which has served us very well for the past five years and I am very reluctant to switch to the Sagemcom (which is a lower quality router in every way). I've got hold of the broadband username and password using the password generator so may well use the Netgear router if the Sagemcom turns out to be bad.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Nice guide Tom.

Tried the IPoA, but still had no joy.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

silver tractor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kesgrave
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

My Sky broadband and phone connections went live about 20 minutes ago and I was connected via my own D-Link router in about 5 minutes.

I am not particularly computer literate but thanks to the info that I have gleaned from these forums I found it very straightforward to change my router settings etc.

I will carry on using my own router until I see positive news about firmware upgrades to the Sagem one (or until Sky blocks me from using my own).

So, I have officially gone rogue now and to celebrate I might go commando too!!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by silver tractor View Post
      So, I have officially gone rogue now and to celebrate I might go commando too!!
      Urgh, the thought. Just before dinner too.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

silver tractor (17-05-11)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12