Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Should Sky ditch custom firmware and locked routers

Voters
    52. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

43 82.69%
    • No

9 17.31%
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Has Sky wasted time and money making you use their routers.

This is a discussion on Has Sky wasted time and money making you use their routers. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; If you ask for your user/pass they should just give it too you.If you do need to phone them up ...

Nostromo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Has Sky wasted time and money making you use their routers.

If you ask for your user/pass they should just give it too you.If you do need to phone them up about problems it takes only seconds to change the router back again.

2. Advertisement
      fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buddbuttocks View Post
      L
      They should have stuck with Netgear... Mind you, the D-Links seem pretty reliable too.
      The thing about the Netgears, is that they were both based on well established, reliable, popular uk models, with a few sky customisations, so the bugs would .have mostly been sorted before the Sky version came out.

I seem to recall a few sky connect customers on here complaining about frequent loss of sync with the D-links. The software notes released with the source code report an issue with the pre-release, although it was fixed:- BT Option 4 line CPE appears to train ok but will only hold sync for a few seconds - I wonder if it was a related.bug.

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

There is definitely an issue with D-Links on Connect, they don't seem to like being on Fastpath (which they shouldn't be anyway). Field testing apparently ruled out any issue with the routers themselves, but the issue is only ever seen with D-Links on Connect.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ssscrudddy View Post
      I think you should be able to use your own modem(/router).

I have been with various ISPs over the years, both cable & phone line.

Cable have supplied their own modems, & if I wanted I could use my own router.

Phone line, BT supplied their own "free" modem/router (which was rubbish) but if I wanted I was able to use my own modem (& router) & BT was happy to supply me with the neccessary settings for getting on their network (username password protocols etc).
      Talktalk didnt provide a free modem(/router) but offered to sell me 1 of theirs, or I could use my own, & was happy to supply me with the neccessary settings for getting on their network.

Over the years I have used dial-up Freeserve then SCREAMING Net (so called cuz you would be screaming at the damn thing to give you more than 5 bits per second) Tiscali (which I got out of straight away), & then CABLE NTL when that arrived

While on cable I bought a router Lynksis BEFSR41 which has never let me down. A second address on cable (by this time Virgin) again their modem my router.

Eventually moved to my current address, phone line only, BT supplied modem (& I still used my router). Switched to Talktalk & continued using the BT modem. When that finally died I replaced it with a basic USRobotics modem (1 port wired & wifi) & continued using my own same router. Eventually replaced the modem with a much better 4 port wifi modem router (which got nicked).

Now I am on Sky & their router sucks & doesnt work with wifi enabled. T&Cs says I cant use my own modem. I say they have already broken the contract by supplying faulty equipment, & not anwesring correspondence even within their own time frame (5 days to answer an email, day 9 still waiting)

Last night I tripped over an ethernet cable to my laptop, it's a wifi enabled laptop, but using wifi stops the router from working due to faulty equipment which Sky insist I use. The plate of food I was carrying got launched out of my 1st floor window & smashed on a blokes head. I got arrested & spent 4 hours in the cells. I missed seeing my children so they are upset, the ex wife is angry with me also for not showing up, & there is a chance I could get sued. I blame all of this on Sky & their stupid T&Cs which insist that I must use their faulty equipment rather than my own working equipment.
      I am so angry about last nights incident that I have now stopped using Skys faulty equipment & have plugged in my old USRobotics modem/wifi &-1-port-wired router (wich is also plugged into my old Lynksis router. If I get punished for breaking their T&Cs I will seek legal advice as in my opinion they have already broke them themselves.
      Just get them to send you another one, if it's faulty then you'll get a new one. Simple as that. Or use theirs as a modem and a wireless access point for wifi - means you stay in T&Cs
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Ssscrudddy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01604
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Freeview
      Thanks

They have since publicly confirmed that I can use my own modem/router without being penalised.

Sky Help Forum - Re: Sky Router keeps cutting out. (Sagem Router) - Page 13 - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum
      Is the pub open yet?

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

I think Sky should give the customer the option of either using their own router or using the one supplied with Sky when they sign up for broadband.

Lets face it, there are people out there, who aren't very literate with setting computers up, wiring things up etc. These types of people will more than likely prefer something that they can easily connect and be immediately online with. In those cases, using Sky's own router is probably the best for those kinds of people.

However. There are people out there who are computer/tech literate and can easily setup things, enter details etc and for whatever reason, would prefer to use their own router, perhaps it works well on their line, has a good wireless range or for whatever reason. In these cases, the customer should be able to tell Sky when they sign up for broadband, that they want to use their own router, and they should be supplied with the username and password. Sky should also tell the customer at this point that they are on their own, if they do require support for their own router or have difficulty setting it up.

I think the above two scenerios would keep the tech literate and the not so tech literate people happy.

Izak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodley
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Netgear N900
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I think Sky should let you use your own router. It would same them thousands of pounds. They could simply ask when you join 'Do you already have a router?' if your answer is yes then they simply send you a letter with your username and password and leave you to set it up yourself. If your answer is no, then they can provide you with one of their routers along with your username and password so that if you want to get your own router in the future you can do.

If they don't want to offer technical support for third party routers then that's fine with me. I know what I'm doing and don't think I'll ever ring up technical support (unless it's a problem with the phone line itself).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

if your answer is yes then they simply send you a letter with your username and password and leave you to set it up yourself.
      Unfortunately Sky's system for generating the username and password do not allow this. If they wanted to allow the use of other routers they could write firmware that makes the username and password as well as other details visible on the router they supply. This router could be on a 'loan' basis the same as O2 and some others, where the router is loaned free of charge during the time that you are a user and returned when your membership ceases. Sky could have saved themselves hundreds of thousands of pounds if they had used this method from the start.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I'm quite happy to be sent a locked down router, as long as I can use my own when I'm not dealing with support. Having been an AOL customer, with a problem that they repeatedly failed to fix, even after they diagnosed it correctly (also repeatedly), and them insisting on going through the router's settings at least twice every time I called. Being able to factory reset the router and plug it in the test socket to prove it is not my end is rather appealing.

The number of complaints about the Sagem would suggest that Sky need to improve their testing. Perhaps they should consider recruiting a dozen or so members of their support forum, who have a good selection of networked and wifi connected gear, and are technically adept enough to be able to configure it all themselves. And ask them to trial the next new router, before they start shipping it to new customers.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      ...The number of complaints about the Sagem would suggest that Sky need to improve their testing. Perhaps they should consider recruiting a dozen or so members of their support forum, who have a good selection of networked and wifi connected gear, and are technically adept enough to be able to configure it all themselves. And ask them to trial the next new router, before they start shipping it to new customers.
      Just what does 'testing' constitute though?

There will be many people out there who hardly use their home networks and will not have experienced any of the reported problems.

Many issues have been easy to identify, but not always easy to replicate at will.

Suppliers are notorious for using one set of components for test equipment and then change them, sometimes at the request of the customer, for the main production run.

This has the potential to invalidate any thorough testing.

People are already commenting about subtle differences between the routers on the outside (green sockets), so it would not surprise me if there are other differences inside.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast