Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2304 problems

This is a discussion on 2304 problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I posted basically the same message on a thread on the official Sky forum but I understand that some matters ...

Rallos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

2304 problems

I posted basically the same message on a thread on the official Sky forum but I understand that some matters can be discussed here which can't be discussed over there and there might be users here who have thoughts not over there:

I have the Sagem 2304 router with Firmware Version: 5.14.6a4N.

The router has been completely unstable since receiving it (6 days ago) as the router appears to crash and not allow either wireless or wired devices to connect to it after a period of time being switched on.

The power, wifi and internet status lights remain switched on and green and the router's SSID is still broadcast with full wireless signal. However, wireless devices (Windows laptop, MacBook and iPhone) are unable to connect to the router.

Furthermore, plugging a laptop into the ethernet ports does not give access to the internet or to the router page. The laptop is not assigned an IP address by the router (instead it settles on the automatic 169.x.x.x IP address after a while) and Windows is unable to identify the network name.

If I power the router off and back on again, it works both wirelessly and wired without issues until the router crashes again. It is not linked to actual usage or heavy downloading as the router may be working in the morning and then when I come back from work in the evening I am unable to connect to the router and I have to power it off and on in order to connect.

The router does not appear to keep a log which survives a power cycle that displays useful details such as the WLAN or LAN link going down unless I am mistaken?

This is happening during the initial line testing period which is particularly annoying as I am having to power the router off repeatedly and so this will probably lead to a lower connection profile.

I have not tried disabling wireless to see if that causes the router to be stable because the router is useless to me in my flat without wifi and I do not have a wireless access point to hand to connect to the Sagem in order to test it while it has wifi diabled.

It seems as though there are separate issues with this router as some people are reporting that the connection drops when heavy downloading goes on while there appears to have been some other users reporting that the router freezes such that you are unable to connect to the router.

I would be grateful if anyone can help with this issue and also tell me if a replacement router from Sky resolves this particular issue if they have managed to get customer support to send one out.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information

lol - I just read it there too.

This perhaps could have been in a new thread, but I'll answer it all the same.

I'm not personally familiar with the Mac Book & iPhone, but the Laptop gives me a lead.

You have the latest firmware and there are a few known issues already. Could you run through the following list of checks for us please?:

* have you tried to connect the Laptop using a wired connection?

* have you set a fixed IP address? Ideally this shouldn't be required and, with the exception of Windows 98, isn't beneficial

* can you access the router's homepage and subsequent pages?

* which OS do you have installed on the Laptop?

* have you downloaded and installed all the latest updates, including the optional ones?

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

EXACTLY same issues I'm facing. Well ... the wireless one's. I've only got one wired connection and it remains wired (server).

Actually I haven't tried connecting to the router with a fixed IP Address, I've been using MAC address reservations. Will try that next too.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The internet went down while I was trying to reply. I was connected wirelessly and it was working fine but the router crashed and this was only after 5 minutes of uptime (I had to power cycle the router to connect in the first place as it had crashed overnight).

For the first time, as far as I am aware, the adsl status light (@) disappeared completely when the router crashed just now. I will keep an eye on whether this occurs again.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      lol - I just read it there too.

This perhaps could have been in a new thread, but I'll answer it all the same.

I'm not personally familiar with the Mac Book & iPhone, but the Laptop gives me a lead.

You have the latest firmware and there are a few known issues already. Could you run through the following list of checks for us please?:

* have you tried to connect the Laptop using a wired connection?

* have you set a fixed IP address? Ideally this shouldn't be required and, with the exception of Windows 98, isn't beneficial

* can you access the router's homepage and subsequent pages?

* which OS do you have installed on the Laptop?

* have you downloaded and installed all the latest updates, including the optional ones?

1. I have tried to connect the laptop using a wired connection when I have noticed that I am unable to connect wirelessly because it has crashed and I am unable to access the router page. The laptop network adaptor is not assigned a 192.168.0.x IP address, as it should be by the DHCP server on the router, but instead the automatic IP address that is useless.

I have one device which is connected to the router by wired ethernet connection the whole time and that is the Sky+ box. I have checked that the Sky+ box is unable to access the internet (Anytime+ is unavailable) when the router crashes so that means that it is kicked off the network when the router crashes because it should be connected the whole time and, unlike the laptop, it is not a device which I am trying to connect to the router after I have noticed that the router has crashed.

2. I haven't attempted to connect to the router with a fixed IP address set on the laptop. I will attempt this and see whether that allows access to the router admin page but I am not overly optimistic about that as I think the whole router crashes rather than simply the DHCP functionality.

3. No access to the router admin page or any sub-pages once the router has crashed whether connected by wifi or wired connection.

4. Laptop has Windows 7 installed on it

5. WIndows is fully updated.

Pengwern are you saying that your wired device remains connected and able to access the router admin as well as internet even when the router has crashed? As that seems to be marginally better than my situation?

Thanks for the responses guys

Nostromo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: 2304 problems

I was having similar problems and im in the 10 day training period too.
      Change the mode from auto to auto 54g.
      You should d/load inssider to see if others near you are on the same channel numbers.Change it from auto to a number nobody else is using.Mine seems to be ok so far.

Thanks

No problem there.

It is beginning to look like there are some major issues with the router and how it stores site addresses in it's memory.

From what I did the other night, and the response gained on the Sky Help Forum, it does appear to be a documented issue now.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
      I was having similar problems and im in the 10 day training period too.
      Change the mode from auto to auto 54g.
      You should d/load inssider to see if others near you are on the same channel numbers.Change it from auto to a number nobody else is using.Mine seems to be ok so far.
      I am currently trying the router with the wireless AP switched off to see if it the wireless functionality that is causing the router to crash and require a power cycle to provide any functionality at all.

If that is the case then I will try your suggestion Nostromo and see if that prevents the wireless funciton from causing the whole router fail.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rallos View Post
      I am currently trying the router with the wireless AP switched off to see if it the wireless functionality that is causing the router to crash and require a power cycle to provide any functionality at all.

If that is the case then I will try your suggestion Nostromo and see if that prevents the wireless funciton from causing the whole router fail.
      Update: the router is completely stable with the wireless AP disabled and does not seem to crash at all. As soon as wireless AP is enabled, it crashes after a few minutes of on time.

I tried changing the wireless mode to 54G Auto and manually setting the channel to a channel that isn't being used by other wireless networks in range but that didn't fix anything. Changing the wireless security mode didn't make a difference either.

I spoke to Sky customer support again and managed to convince them to send me a replacement router without having to jump through all the hoops and I'm just going to use the faulty router as an ethernet only one until the replacement arrives.

Thanks

With the large number of people complaining about issues with this router at the present, I believe that you may well have issues with the replacement router.

Until the next firmware update is released, I can't see any progress on this issue.

Since you are able to get your router working by not using the WiFi, could I suggest that you piggyback an old WiFi router onto the Sky router? This would at least provide you with a WiFi access point.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      With the large number of people complaining about issues with this router at the present, I believe that you may well have issues with the replacement router.

Until the next firmware update is released, I can't see any progress on this issue.

Since you are able to get your router working by not using the WiFi, could I suggest that you piggyback an old WiFi router onto the Sky router? This would at least provide you with a WiFi access point.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html
      I am hoping that they will send me a previous Sky router model rather than a new Sagem 2304. I'm not particularly bothered about it being capable of 802.11n as I'm in a flat where the wifi signal strength isn't a limiting factor.

I was told that I should send back the faulty router but I might see if I can keep it and use it again when a firmware update has come out that makes it useable.

Hooking up a wireless router to the adsl router will be a bit of a last result as I don't have an old router lying about so will need to buy one..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast