Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Computer can't find netgear modem

This is a discussion on Computer can't find netgear modem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi everyone I’m having a prob with my modem and hope someone can help before I smash the damn thing. ...

jamoo25 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Computer can't find netgear modem

Hi everyone
      I’m having a prob with my modem and hope someone can help before I smash the damn thing.

I have just finished relocating my Netgear V2 DG934G modem into my office as the wifi was not performing very well. I’ve used a high spec/speed ADSL line due to the distance from phone socket and bingo...everything worked great(for a change). I have connected the computer directly into the modem and I also connected the modem to my Sky HD box and anytime+ works a treat.

Knowing this was too good to be true, my prob came about when I fired the computer up the next morning only to find ...no internet/network connection detected. Everything else works fine...anytime+ still works...wifi on my laptop no probs and all lights green on Modem...just nadda connection to my PC.

I rebooted and like magic it connected. This has been goin on now for a few days and the same thing happens. Sometimes I need to reboot 2 or 3 times before it connects.

So, as a non tecky...all I know is, the problem seems to be that my PC cant “always” find my modem during boot-up even though the damn thing is plugged into its back....any suggestions would be most appreciated(remembering the “non techy thing”) Many thanx

2. Advertisement
      F022Y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASUD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Computer can't find netgear modem

Did you use wireless before ethernet (cable) connection? Might be that the drivers for the network card need to be updated. These can normally be found on the manufacturers website (dell, asus, acer ect). Post up the make and model and i'll take a butchers for you.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanx F022Y......I forgot all the extra bits, lol...

I have an Acer Aspire T180-097Z with Vista Home Basic.

I can't recall if this PC was previously connected via Ethernet..but for some time now Ive been on wifi. Im sure that this will be something simple but I just don't know enough to be messin about with settings...don't get me wrong..I know my way around a PC...just not the indepth things

Thanx again for being so quick to reply

Thanks

Try Download, its a simple selection menu, it wouldn't be the first time if windows update installed a LAN driver that caused issue, try installing the one from the site above and see how you go.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

The Acer Aspire T180 isn't a laptop it's a desktop PC and wasn't originally fitted with WiFi so you must have a third party WiFi adaptor (either an internal one or a USB dongle).

If that's the case and you want to use WiFi you will need to make sure you are only using the Windows Vista Wireless manager or only using the third party wireless manager provided with the adaptor - never try to use both at the same time as they can/will interfere with each other. Personally I always use the Microsoft Wireless programs.

However I read your original post to say you are connected by LAN cable from the PC to the ADSL Router. In that case you are having problems with your PC finding a correct IP address. You could try a fixed IP address rather than one nominated by the Router. Take a look at http://www.trainsignaltraining.com/w...-ip-addressing which even has a video of how to do this. Or look at http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2...cpip-in-vista/ which offers more help.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dms05 For This Useful Post:

jamoo25 (30-04-11)

Thanks

On top of dms05's comment i assume that you have disconnected any such USB wireless device? Might be conflict there, stranger things have happened.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanx guyz...right,
      FO22Y..I followed your link and downloaded the new files and did a driver update which came back as already using the most up to date files..so at least I can rule that out. And no...even though I'd like to some mornings...I don't have the dongle pluged in anymore hehehe

dms05..my Toshiba laptop is working fine(wifi) in the other room....my office desktop(Aspire) used to be wifi via a dongle but is now via ethernet.(when it feels like it) Ive had a look at the sites you posted and they are great, especially the first one..but Im still a little uncomfotable doin that sort of thing just yet...sorta a last resort if ya get my drift. But if it is just the prob you suggested of the PC not being able to find the correct IP addy, then I guess I wont have much choice.

Gosh, this was supposed to be such a simple thing moving the modem to the office but as usual, hassle hassle hassle

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just a bit more trivia....

after a reboot(no network detected)..if I remove the ethernet cable from the pc...go make a cuppa then plug it back in...still no connection.
      Just found out that this PC has only ever been wifi..never via Ethernet

and just one last question....should I have "Network Discovery" On or Off???? May sound a bit silly but it was off for security reasons

Thanks

Gunna sound really silly but have you got another ethernet cable to try? Might be loose connection in the cable itself causing intermittant connection, if not try the cable from laptop to router to see if drops out just to rule it out.

*I may be wrong but i think network discovery is only a wireless setting (making the SSID public) so i don't think that would be it.*

Scrub that its a setting in windows that allow the discovery of devices on the internal network such as other machines to share resources (drives, folders ect) i have it set to on but i have 3 machines, a network printer and a NAS on my network. What is network discovery?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to F022Y For This Useful Post:

jamoo25 (30-04-11)

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Follow these steps to setup a manual ip address. Reboot your pc. Shouldn't face problems connecting anymore.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

jamoo25 (30-04-11)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast