Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sagem F@ST 2304n WiFi issues

This is a discussion on Sagem F@ST 2304n WiFi issues within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Likewise I changed my channel to 11, and fixed it there rather than auto last night. It was still working ...

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Sagem F@ST 2304n WiFi issues

Likewise I changed my channel to 11, and fixed it there rather than auto last night. It was still working fine this morning.

I shall continue to monitor too.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Been connected 28hrs now no issues downloading
      Your wireless is only showing 8 hours connected, so it must have dropped out sometime during the day.

For some reason the auto channel function has never worked well on any of the Sky routers. To find the best channel download Inssider from the link below and use it to discover the channels in use in your area. Use one as far from those in use as possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Nostromo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your wireless is only showing 8 hours connected, so it must have dropped out sometime during the day.
      Ye i noticed that but cant remember when i started using it as it was late at night so it maybe only started timing it from next day when connected to the laptop.
      Its at WLAN=18hrs LAN=39hrs now.

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

*** UPDATE ***

Ok, since this morning I have been out and about. It's a great day to hit the road and get some shopping done. It seems the whole planet is doing something else!

Anyway ... I was sat using my macbook and streaming some TV on SkyPlayer. Suddenly it started "Bufferring 0%".

I noticed that the Wifi was trying to reconnect and needed a password. Uh Oh WLAN service has stopped again, I thought.

I had no machines currently online via wifi, that I could use to connect and restart the WLAN service. So I grabbed an ethernet cable.

I plugged the ethernet cable from the macbook into the 2304N. The macbook marked the link as active but could not get a DHCP address. I therefore gave it an IP Address from within the range of my DHCP scope.

I could ping my server which is also wired, but could not connect to the internet nor the management page of the router.

Had DHCP stopped ... maybe. Was it refusing to accept new connections ... it seems so.

This does not seem limited to the Wifi, but also new Wired connections too.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Ok, since this morning I have been out and about. It's a great day to hit the road and get some shopping done
      SWMBO went in early this morning to shop at Marks and Sparks, there was a notice on the door saying they were closed to 1 pm due to some wedding or other

I have an idea that all of the problems with this router can be traced back to the wireless chip. Whether it is being asked to do more than it is capable of and overheating the whole device, I don't know, but it seems to be something like that. Has anyone tried running it on 'b' only?(If this is possible) This would reduce the throughput for some, but might help by not overtaxing the chip. Most adapters will be backwards compatible to 'b',

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Update for the WiFi side of things:

I gave the router a nice steady heavy load yesterday.

I took the mickey a little with the Wedding. A friend turned up expecting to not see it, but I had it live on the TV (BBC1 HD), streaming through this Laptop from Sky News and streaming ITV1 to my desktop. Both computers had their sound muted and were linked via LAN cable, but the fottage remained stable for both computers until about 1pm, when we went out for lunch.

I thought that I wouldn't risk the WiFi for the Laptop, and it seems that I was right to be concerned. The signal seems to have dropped about 0:10am today for some reason.

The streaming to both computers went in respect of the picture. My friend did enjoy it in the end, even if he didn't want to watch it initially. More due to caching the fottage, than a PC issue, ITV1 was a steady 5 seconds behind the TV. Sky News was a steady 1.05 mins. We were able to point out things the other had missed and catch them again easily.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sagem F@ST 2304n WiFi issues-router-stats-30-4-2011.jpg  

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

We are now being advised to disable Wifi on these routers if the customer does not require it. Still not clear whether it's a firmware or hardware issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buddbuttocks View Post
      We are now being advised to disable Wifi on these routers if the customer does not require it. Still not clear whether it's a firmware or hardware issue.
      I have seen those messages too. Some members of this forum have reported that doing this is helping to keep the router running for longer.

Unfortunately it isn't a reasonable solution for many other members out there.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Nostromo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Great solution considering i have an iphone,ipad,laptop,HTC Wildfire and a Dell Streak all wanting to use wifi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
      Great solution considering i have an iphone,ipad,laptop,HTC Wildfire and a Dell Streak all wanting to use wifi
      Already acknowledged that it isn't a reasonable solution to turn the WiFi off. Perhaps I should have added 'practical' as well?

There is an alternative solution which would get through some of the issues for the present though.

If you have a spare WiFi router hanging around, you could piggyback this onto the Sky router. Turn the Sky router's WiFi off & use the 2nd router as a WiFi access point.

Again I realise that this isn't a good solution for many people. I should emphasis that whilst it is an excellent way to extend your WiFi coverage when in a larger home, it does mean that you need a spare router. It can also allow you to have a set of LAN ports beside your TV or other place where you desire them.

For a basic setup though, you could happily use the short Ethernet cable supplied with the Sky router to connect the two together. The instructions to accomplish this are available on this forum. Please read this thread:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

If your WiFi coverage is normally sufficient, then you quite rightly would not be happy with this. Please see it as an interim measure. BSkyB will need to resolve the issue.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Panda3 (14-05-11)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast