Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Sky router question

This is a discussion on New Sky router question within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; With all the problems with the new Sagemcom router people are reporting it's starting to make me think twice about ...

afn
      afn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bethesda
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

New Sky router question

With all the problems with the new Sagemcom router people are reporting it's starting to make me think twice about switching to Sky BB. What do you think I should do guys?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: New Sky router question

I would agree with you in many ways.

If you have your own non-branded router, it might be worth getting the log in details from the new Sagem router and using your own one instead.

I appreciate that this is against Sky's T&Cs, but in the face of recent issues, I think that it is costing them enough money already. An embarrassing court case, or threat of one, would loose them a lot of respect in the ISP market.

Hopefully they are working 24/7 to rewrite the firmware as I write this post.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

afn
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I would agree with you in many ways.

If you have your own non-branded router, it might be worth getting the log in details from the new Sagem router and using your own one instead.

I appreciate that this is against Sky's T&Cs, but in the face of recent issues, I think that it is costing them enough money already. An embarrassing court case, or threat of one, would loose them a lot of respect in the ISP market.

Hopefully they are working 24/7 to rewrite the firmware as I write this post.
      I just don't want to be in a worse situation than I am now as everything is working fine with my current BB connection.

As in previous posts i'm using a Netgear DG834GT. Will I definitely be able to extract the password from the Sagemcom router and use it on my existing one?

Also how will I know when the issues have been resolved with the Sagemcom router and it is safe to use?

Thanks for your replies

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by afn View Post
      I just don't want to be in a worse situation than I am now as everything is working fine with my current BB connection.
      I completely understand that. I could just swap back to the Netgear router which I have and return the Sagem back to Sky with a request for a working one. There is value for me to keep this one for the present and see if I can report on and test various issues that members are complaining about though.

The issues which I was experiencing were nothing compared to what I am getting now.

As in previous posts i'm using a Netgear DG834GT. Will I definitely be able to extract the password from the Sagemcom router and use it on my existing one?
      Unless you receive one with a new revision of the Firmware which blocks the process. Sky keep this kind of news very quiet.

Also how will I know when the issues have been resolved with the Sagemcom router and it is safe to use?

Thanks for your replies
      Same as me I guess. When people start receiving an updated firmware version I hope that some will post on this forum to let us all know.

Sky are not known for advertising updates or emailing those affected. Being a company whose primary industry is involved with communication, they seem very reluctant to practise some about themselves.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

afn (22-04-11)

afn
      Thanks

I have already requested my MAC from my previous ISP but am in no rush to swap - what do you think I should do?

This is what I got back from posting a question about the Sagemcom in the official sky forum:

While I appreciate your concern over the reports of issues with some Sagemcom routers, we are actively investigating these problems and will post an update as soon as we can provide more information.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

what do you think I should do?
      I don't think that it is fair to ask that of anyone. It is up to you what you should do. Scubbie has laid it out pretty well I think. One thing is sure if you delay too long you may find you cannot get an LLU slot with Sky LLU. These are limited in all exchanges and once the slots are filled, you could wait long enough before one becomes available. The problems they are having with the present router will be fixed, in fact some find that the 'upgrade' available on the CD you are supplied with fixes all the problems. I would not let that put you off joining Sky

It is also possible that the full update to the firmware, when it becomes available, will block the ability to get your password. Another reason for not delaying too long

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

afn (22-04-11)

afn
      Thanks

Ok thanks for your help but to save messing about and upsetting Sky I think I'll buy a 2nd hand Sky router off ebay. So the question is which is the best Sky router in your opinion as there are a few different types for sale. I'm thinking the DG834GT as I have that now and touch wood i've have never had any problems.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The Sky GT is a lot more restricted than the standard one, but is a good choice in my opinion As long as it has been registered in the Sky data base and not banned, it should connect OK.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Ssscrudddy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01604
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Freeview
      Thanks

I was under the impression that Sky will have the details of your mac address, router manufacture & model number etc. So I would have thought getting a second hand Sky router wont make any difference, ie it still isnt the 1 they sent you.

If I'm wrong & this post is muddying the waters please delete my post (as I dont actually know)
      Is the pub open yet?

Nostromo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

You can use your existing DG834GT just extract the user/pass from the Sagem 2304n when it eventually arrives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast