Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please Help Wifi Setup Sagem

This is a discussion on Please Help Wifi Setup Sagem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi i have just joined sky from virgin and cannot set up my wifi sagem for my Acer 5315 laptop. ...

lisalooby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01623
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Please Help Wifi Setup Sagem

Hi i have just joined sky from virgin and cannot set up my wifi sagem for my Acer 5315 laptop. It connects when i disable the key or via the yellow cable but not when i try and enter the key - even though it finds the wifi in the available networks? I have gone through a few options with sky via telephone but still no joy. Can anyone help? Ideally step by step as im not a computer whizz,thanks Lisa

2. Advertisement
      GrimTech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WWBWAT
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast
      Router: SR203
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Please Help Wifi Setup Sagem

Just make sure the Wep/WPA key is the same displayed via the Card Sky gives you, if it's not on a card check the router.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Hello Lisa,

Which O/S do you have on the Laptop?

Also have you ensured that all the latest updates have been applied (not just the automated ones, but also the optional updates)?

There are two Sagems at present which you could have. If you have only just joined Sky, you may have the Sagem 2304n, which has a smooth grey top and shiny black underside for it's cover.

The older Sagem 2504 has a grey dimpled case on top & bottom.

It would be useful to know specifically which one you have.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

gswsky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: birchwood SLBWD
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I have just received (yesterday) a sagema 2304n which didn't work. I had to connect a laptop to the router by ethernet cable and install the optional software update on the CD they send you. The modem is now working great, I am getting 72MB/s on wireless and the signal is decent around the house.

Have you applied the update on the CD?
      Its under Windows folder and called someting like sag*.exe

Thanks

There is another reason why the WiFi may not work, which is why I've asked about software versions & if all the updates have been applied.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It connects when i disable the key or via the yellow cable but not when i try and enter the key - even though it finds the wifi in the available networks?
      Go into the settings again and delete the default key, you will want to change this anyway. In its place type in something simple like abcd1234, click apply, disconnect your ethernet cable and try to connect by wireless using the new key. If this works, change the key again to something random with at least 12 characters.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hello Lisa,

One issue that has plagued me previously is that some WiFi adaptors would not connect when the network key (aka password) was all in uppercase.

I've had the opportunity to try out the router with one known Laptop which had this issue previously. It hasn't had any hardware updates relating to the WiFi, just the Windows XP Home Edition updates have been applied.

It connected first time to the new Sagem 2304n router, with the default network key.

I know of another laptop I can replicate the issue with. Currently is connects to a Sagem 2504 router which i changed it's network key to all lowercase.

For now, if you can do as Tom has suggested and change you network key to all lowercase, this may resolve the issue.

Another thing that may help is to change the 'WPA/WPA2-PSK Security Encryption' from TKIP+AES to AES only.

If that doesn't work, let us know as there are a few more settings available.

Thanks

Hi sorry for the late reply ... i have windows vista on my laptop and it is the Sagem shiny black and smooth grey (apparently the new one as i was told by the engineer that installed the phone line) i will try the options you have advised and let you know ..thank you :-)

Thanks

Hi i have tried the password in lower case and changing the key to AES only still no good it sees the wireless network and connects but no internet, the only disc i had with the router was an automated dvd type disc that shows step by step set up,i.e. what to plug in where, no software as such or software update for the router (unless i am looking in the wrong place?) is there anything else i can try before i fire it out of the window? lol (i can connect if i disable security key or with yellow cable, so frustrating :-( sky have tried changing a few ports then told me its my woreless setting and to get my computer updated!!!!! not very happy, i had no issues with virgin/orange etc - can anyone help (p.s i am not technical so any step by step is greatly appreciated)

Thanks

Hi Lisa,

Since you last posted I've been talking with some other people and have mentioned similar issues like what you've been experiencing.

Can you do a little research on your Laptop please?

Could you find out which of the following the Laptop supports:

• WEP
      • WPA-PSK
      • WPA2-PSK
      • WPA/WPA2-PSK

You'll need to do a search in Google or try the manufacturer's website. In the search you will need the specific model number, located on the underside of your Laptop.

From what I have been discussing, there are issues with some devices that only support WEP. I suspect this is what the problem is in your case, but it would be nice to get confirmation.

Whilst on the manufacturer's website, check to see if there are any driver updates. These too may help to address the issue.

When we know what the Laptop can support, specific advice can be provided.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast