Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information

This is a discussion on Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; There has been a lot of discussion on this forum recently about this new router. There are a couple of ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum recently about this new router. There are a couple of threads which have pictures of the casing and insides.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-r...ides-pics.html

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-r...-pictures.html

There are even more threads where new Sky customers are having issues with the router connecting to the Internet or where the router is playing up in some other way.

I'll add some screen dumps for those who are interested to this thread in due course. Initially the screens appear very similar to the Netgear v2 934G, which I have been using until now (normally as a backup router).

I was initially worried. My Sky connection has been stable and this router was having some issues connecting at first. It has now connected and it has gone straight to MER, not PPPoA, which is what the Netgear uses.

As for connection speed, I guess Sky has looked into the chipsets a little more. the Sagem 2304n has actually synced a little higher than the Netgear did.

WAN MER 3255 3049 0 497996 2043446 0:13:33
      LAN Up 15821 9334 0 6177409 1764379 0:14:47
      WLAN Up 2772 1248 0 659987 343914 0:14:28

Connection Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps
      Line Attenuation 17.0 dB 10.2 dB
      Noise Margin 6.7 dB 9.3 dB
      Hmm... Copying & Pasting the stats was not pleasant. It put in a lot of extra line returns, I've had to remove the extra spacing to make this post legible.

It might be more useful for the knowledgeable to use screen dumps in future.

It is also perhaps important to note that initially when you attempt to sign in to this router, you are not presented with the usual log in box. Instead you are presented with a list of options to choose from. Clicking anything from here will then present you with the login box, asking for the Username & Password.

These are the same as before (username = admin, password = sky).

For those who have also been observant, WPA/WPA2-PSK (Mixed Mode) is the default WiFi setting. The WiFi password is once again made from 8 uppercase letters. I am also connecting at 72mbps with this WiFi n laptop.

The initial firmware installed on the one received is:

System Details
      Manufacturer Sagemcom
      Model Number F@ST2304
      Firmware Version 5.14.6a4N
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pD030n.d23b
      Yours,
      Scubbie

Edit: BTW, this is my latest speed test:

Previously:

Results from speed.io - Internet DSL Speedtest (Copied on 2010-12-14 22:42:41)
      Download: 16343 Kbit/s - Upload : 1056 kbit/s, Connects : 1404 conn/min - Ping: 34 ms

Edit: More information to distinguish the two Sky Sagem routers:

In term of looks, a couple of significant differences between the Sagem 2504 and the Sagemcom 2304n are:

* the Sagem 2504, like the Netgear v2 DG934G, has a dull grey case, with pitting like a golf ball

* the Sagemcom 2304n has a grey top & black underside, with no pitting. The underside is reflective. The manufacturer's name is moulded into the top side of the case

* the Sagem 2504 has a colourful label on the underside with the default WiFi login details for the router

* the Sagemcom 2304n has a black label with some white boxes where the default WiFi login details are
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information-router-stats.jpg   Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information-initial-screen.jpg   Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information-contents.jpg   Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information-labels.jpg  
      Last edited by Scubbie; 21-04-11 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Added speedtest.net results, pics of contents and added details of old stats to include all the old info. Added more info
      NewsreadeR likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Isitme (20-04-11)

3. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information

The Useful Settings looks like a crib from the BT Hub
      The ability to return the router to factory settings from the GUI, is a useful addition if it works. Many have their router in not too accessible positions to get to the reset hole.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I may well try that feature in due course.

I've been having *fun* this evening whilst I copy MAC addresses and set up the Wireless Access List. To say that the router interface is slow would be generous.

It is taking about a minute to register the details. Having got 8 entries completed, it has lost them all!

Scubbie is NOT impressed.

I've managed to successfully set up my DynDNS account on the router.

Some how it's managed to loose the WiFi SSID & password. I set up my own SSID password in response, but this has failed. I guess that I may have to use the reset process after all.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Just completely lost Internet connection on both wired & wireless. So I've plugged the Netgear back in an will take a break for tonight.

The issue I was experiencing with the Netgear was the occasional loss of WiFi, but never a complete loss of connection for so long on both wired & wireless.

I haven't run the firmware update program on the CD ROM since the router actually appeared to work out of the box. I am thinking about it at the moment. Any thoughts would be appreciated please.

For info, when I was putting the info in regarding the Wireless Access List, I had to remove any apostrophes and spaces, as the firmware doesn't like it in the Sagem, but the Netgear does. So naming devices like "Scubbie's Mobile" had to be changed to "Scubbie-s-Mobile". The MAC address needed the ':' too between the numbers. I can't quite recall if the Netgear was happy to convert them, this may have been the case on the DGN2000 instead.

As for it updating the list, it was taking as long as a minute to add a single device. I've never experienced such a lag on updating on any other router I've used previously.

So far:

WiFi - Signal good, but settings poor
      Connection - Failed
      Ease of using the User Interface: Very Poor, with lots of time-outs

Would I recommend it for a beginner in it's present state: No.

One important issue learnt from the Netgear v2 934G & the Sagem 2504 which needs mentioning here: Use the stand. Have the power socket at the top. This will improve the cooling ability of the router and place the WiFi aerial at the highest point. You can see the silver aerial through the holes in the side too, if you are unsure.

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Thanks

All the newer broadcom chipsets sync better than the older ones

My old sagem sync's around my parents at 19100 or so
      the d-link connects at 19999

thats on sky isam

it was the same sort of jump on my easnet dslam as well

Nostromo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Just picked one of these up from RM at work so not connected it yet.
      If your struggling with it what chance do the rest of us have lol
      The despatch note says Sagem Ph2 Refresh Router UOM=1
      Would this already have the latest firmware ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
      Just picked one of these up from RM at work so not connected it yet.
      If your struggling with it what chance do the rest of us have lol
      This seriously does worry me.

The issue of moving between screens is a serious flaw and should have been picked up before this router was released.

I wasn't looking to have a go at this router. I wanted to produce some useful information for this forum so that members could have a better understanding of this new router.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
      The despatch note says Sagem Ph2 Refresh Router UOM=1
      Would this already have the latest firmware ?
      This is what was on my paperwork too.

Nostromo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Hmm will connect it up when I get home see how it goes.

Thanks

Update: I've managed copy over the relevant settings to the Sagem 2304n this morning.

For me these included:

Wireless Access List (10 Entries)
      DynDNS entry
      Changing the start point for my IP addresses
      Blocking a couple of gambling websites which keep getting referred to from a certain well known torrent site

I've also saved the setting to my laptop, so I can always recover them sooner.

For now I have left the SSID & Network password at their default settings. I normally change these to my own.

I tried to use the supplied CD ROM to 'fix' the firmware. Unfortunately this failed on my Windows 7 laptop. I will try later on either my XP laptop or XP desktop.

For reference, the software changes the IP address on the PC which is performing the update to 192.168.1.20 and referring to the router as 192.168.1.1. It then left these settings as current when it reported that it could complete the task.

You also get a list of your network adaptors and are asked to choose which one the router is connected to.

For the record, I had reset the router using both the option through the first screen and the reset button on the router, so it was at the default settings before I attempted this.

I also only connected to one of the two yellow ports. When I try later I will also use the other ports if it fails.

So how does this leave me?

Still rather disappointed. Each screen change is painfully slow.

In case it was struggling with the traffic of my torrent PC at the same time as trying to update it, I set up the router to act as a 2nd router in order to complete the above tasks.

On this laptop, I have Windows 7 Home Premium Sp. 1 installed. It is a fully supported product by M$. I would have expected such a large company to have check this out.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The Useful Settings looks like a crib from the BT Hub
      The ability to return the router to factory settings from the GUI, is a useful addition if it works. Many have their router in not too accessible positions to get to the reset hole.
      Factory reset is in the original sky netgear router's UI and in the D-links on the Backup Settings page Although as it happens, factory reset, including the button on the d-link doesn't reset all the settings - well not on the old 1.11 firmware anyway

The Useful settings looks a good addition, but I still think it is a pity that sky didn't keep the full menu on the left hand side from the original sky Netgear, and proper buttons to click on.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast