Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information

This is a discussion on Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by fuzzy logic Don't try installing OpenWrt, you should just follow the instructions on how to use TFTP, ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      Don't try installing OpenWrt, you should just follow the instructions on how to use TFTP, and upload the Sagem firmware file, you found on your CD. I would leave it, and ask sky if they can provide you with a recovery tool that actually works and the latest version of the firmware,

I still think that even if you were to successfully flash your router, it wont help.
      No problem, i had read the bit in your first post on this topic not to use the OpenWrt firmware. I'm not that silly, but I do appreciate that others reading these posts might be.

As for whether it will help or not, all I can say is that is would be worth trying. At the moment I can't swap over as my main PC is busy doing something.

I've also tried changing the DNS details to something else. So when I next plug it is, I'll see if this works first.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

I've swapped back to the Sagem 2304n router and I'm using Sky's DNS servers on this Laptop's WiFi.

Primary: 90.207.238.97
      Secondary: 90.207.238.99

If that plays up, I've set the LAN port to use Google's DNS servers.

Primary: 8.8.8.8
      Secondary: 8.8.4.4

I know that other members like the OpenDNS servers. I can always try them as well later.

At the moment I've connecting via WiFi and the router has been connected for 50 mins. Let's see how things progress.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

pablouk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rayleigh Essex
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Don't understand any of the technical stuff, but from what I can understand SKY need to wake up to the 21 century and pass out routers that are not using the old “G” rated technology.
      Even BT has a working "n" rate router and they have to be one of the worst internet companies in India (sorry UK).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pablouk View Post
      Don't understand any of the technical stuff, but from what I can understand SKY need to wake up to the 21 century and pass out routers that are not using the old G rated technology.
      Even BT has a working "n" rate router and they have to be one of the worst internet companies in India (sorry UK).
      You're right: BT India is awful.

Also BT's HomeHub v2, which supports WiFi n, was releases a few years back now.

The new Sagem 2304n has a WiFi chip which is capable of supporting WiFi n, but currently the firmware on supports speeds up to 72mbps.

Hopefully soon this will be increased to somewhere between 150mbps-300mbps in order to comply with the WiFi n specification. There is a rumour going around that this will be included in a firmware release scheduled for July.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      No problem, i had read the bit in your first post on this topic not to use the OpenWrt firmware. I'm not that silly, but I do appreciate that others reading these posts might be.

As for whether it will help or not, all I can say is that is would be worth trying. At the moment I can't swap over as my main PC is busy doing something.

I've also tried changing the DNS details to something else. So when I next plug it is, I'll see if this works first.
      I didn't think you were, but I was a bit concerned someone skimming through this thread might, and I'd forgotten I'd already posted a warning not to in my post last night It should check the header and reject firmware for a completely different chipset anyway, assuming that bit of the firmware actually works as its supposed too!

The trouble with this tftp method is you've got a very, very narrow time window while the router will be in the CFE, so I'm not optimistic that it will work. I tried that method on my D-link after I'd bricked it, and never got it to work.

I was just looking at that thread you mentioned, unless I missed it, they don't mention anything about putting the router in recovery mode in their instructions, but do mention using the recovery server if the utility fails. I think they may have got that wrong.

If they think the older firmware will fix the issue, maybe they should make a copy of the old firmware available, but with a higher version number than the current one, so you could flash the router using the option in the normal Sky web interface. It shouldn't take long to change the version number and rebuild it, and if they are just changing the version number, it shouldn't need that much testing.

Thanks

No problem Fuzzy. I am sure if it were mentioned a dozen time, someone would still mess it up some how.

For the moment I have been taking the alternative route suggested and I have programed the DNS server addresses into the Laptop, rather than rely on the router to set them.

This doesn't fix issues such as the WiFi dropping completely or the update process on the router being very slow, but it may help with general Internet connectivity.

So far it hasn't failed on my, but the my torrent PC has slowed down for the moment. The up time is now showing 2 1/4 hours. Streaming video from YouTube has been good. My friends are busy, so I can't check out Skype.

Previously I would have expected lots of problems.

Goooner1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Quick update, had a new Sky digibox installed today, as my old Thompson wasn't compatible with Anytime Plus, connected it to the router and it's happily been downloading stuff for the the last 3 hours or so, no dropouts or anything.

Whilst it's been doing that, I was browsing stuff wirelessly on my iPhone, when the wifi dropped out again, but the wired connection happily continued to download, so I left that as it was, didn't reboot the router and carried on browsing using 3G, 10 mins or so later, up pops the wifi indicator on my phone and continues on as if nothing has happened, no reboot required.

So it would seem to be a wireless problem rather than anything else.

Thanks

Nice to hear that you too have got a new STB, which is also working.

I think someone has said that it can't be done, but is there any way you can set the DNS address to an alternative setting, rather than taking it from the router?

It might be worth setting it for either OpenDNS or Google DNS if you can.

Goooner1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys, but I've driven the wife up the wall for 3 days now with this, so I'm going to leave things alone, at least until the replacement router turns up

When I was last speaking to someone at tech support, I mentioned that loads of people were experiencing similar problems with this router, she assured me that there was a faulty batch that they knew all about and the new one would be different and would work properly. I just went along with it, bit I'll believe it when I see it

So for now, I'm connecting everything up (apart from my iPhone and the wife's mobile with wired connection and only using wireless when absolutely neccessary.

As I said, it's happily downloaded what must be 1.5gb on a wired connection to the new Sky box with Anytime + just to test it out, didn't get a single problem, went to watch something wirelessly on iPlayer, got 8 mins in and off it went

Thanks

Faulty batch?

We knew about the 'faulty batch' a month ago on this forum.

No getting back to what I've been doing: Anyone noticed that I've been quiet for a couple of hours?

Well I watched a bit of TV, had my dinner and came back to my Laptop.

Guess what? Internet was down.

I plugged in the LAN cable in, no joy.

Tried my desk top, no joy (it's wired and I hadn't changed the DNS settings).

Powered up my other laptop, no joy.

The strange thing is that this laptop was still receiving emails, I could browse to the router, but I couldn't browse the Internet.

The email alerts came through on my other laptop, but still it couldn't browse any sites, even Sky.com !

I could still access the other PCs over my LAN, but no browsing.

Conclusion:

Changing the DNS settings failed. It appears to be a port issue on the router.

Netgear router works fine, except for occasional WiFi issue.

Sagem router has serious issues.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast