Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information

This is a discussion on Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; lol - I never realised that maxing out my connection would be so much like fun. Well video streaming on ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information

lol - I never realised that maxing out my connection would be so much like fun.

Well video streaming on the WiFi is poor.

Initial test: Torrents hitting between 500-800Kbps (5-8Mb) and I couldn't watch SatDish's link to the Spitfire video on YouTube on my laptop. Refreshing pages was impossible. I did manage to watch it cleanly on my TV using a wired connection without any issues.

2nd Test: Having disconnected the torrent PC for some good 15 minutes, I retried watching the video on my laptop, and still it stuttered poorly, but I was able to watch it. Browsing has also recovered.

Considering that previously I could have my torrents hitting the max speed on my connection and not impact the Laptop's browsing abilities, I guess this is another issue that Sky didn't pay enough attention to.

Before anyone says that torrents aren't right, I have no problem with that argument, video streaming has taken off in a big way. Sites like YouTube and BBC iPlayer are really popular now and their content is likely to overtake torrents soon. Many more people are demanding good WiFi connections and i am about 2.5m from the router, with nothing blocking the view.

Sorry BSkyB, but I am really beginning to think that your R&D department either didn't do their research properly or you didn't give them the right budget. I trust that someone's head has already rolled off the chopping block.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

After all the issues discussed to date in this and various other threads, I guess this one had to work...

I've reconnected my PC which does the torrents and I am experiencing some issues again with browsing, but interestingly I thought... What about Anytime+?

Now in previous threads I have commented that I have to stop the torrents to be able to browse the Anytime+ listings, and my own Netgear DGN2000 struggled a little more than Sky's Netgear v2 DG934G.

Well surprise surprise: It worked perfectly first time!

WOW!

So as to confirm things, I've just gone in again. Sadly this time things didn't all quite work as planned. I could go to the first few programs listed, but i can't go to additional menus, so perhaps it really does struggle.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

is this suposed to be the router that is suposedly coming in july or june or whatever date it is

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      is this suposed to be the router that is suposedly coming in july or june or whatever date it is
      The Sagemcom F@ST 2304n is the router that is currently being dispatched to new customers to Sky. It is also the one that Sky are sending out at the moment as they have run out of replacement routers.

It is possible that this router will have a firmware update in July which will enable the full WiFi n specification. The WiFi chip supports WiFi n. No further information is available at the moment though.

Whilst it is just me using this particular router, hopefully I reasonably computer savvy and can identify & resolve a few common issues. My connection is quite reasonable in terms of stability and speed.

Many other Sky customers have different requirements to me. They may also need to share their connection with other family members. Whilst many will also be computer savvy, many more will not be interested in identifying what is wrong and just expect it to work.

bjorkiii is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Just streamed 10 minutes of video off bbc iplayer on my sagem wirelessly and it seemed to stream fine im about well not sure modems downstairs and i'm upstairs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bjorkiii View Post
      Just streamed 10 minutes of video off bbc iplayer on my sagem wirelessly and it seemed to stream fine im about well not sure modems downstairs and i'm upstairs.
      Thank you for you input.

To help quantify the test, could you help by letting us know something else about your connection please?

* What is the reported connection speed by your OS?

* Is there any other traffic on your network at the same time? If there is: how much and what type?

* What is your current connection speed?

bjorkiii is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'm on 64bit version of debian linux so cant see were os is giving me my connection speed. I was only streaming the video nothing else sorry.

Connection Speed 15357 kbps 1114 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.0 dB 12.5 dB
      Noise Margin 6.2 dB 8.5 dB

Ssscrudddy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01604
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Freeview
      Thanks

I have been playing around more with this, but basically if I want to use it I have to turn off wifi.

With wifi turned OFF it works just fine. With wifi turned on, the whole thing just stops working after 42 minutes, & doesnt come back.
      Is the pub open yet?

Thanks

Please don't be sorry.

I would be unfair for me to say that no video streaming could ever be completed using this router as I can only report on the experiences which I have had.

I am able to compare them to the experiences which I have had on other routers.

It does highlight an important issue in my mind though: There are other routers out there which can prioritise video streaming on their WiFi connections and although I am disappointed, I am not surprised that Sky has missed the boat again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ssscrudddy View Post
      I have been playing around more with this, but basically if I want to use it I have to turn off wifi.

With wifi turned OFF it works just fine. With wifi turned on, the whole thing just stops working after 42 minutes, & doesnt come back.
      I trust that you have contacted Sky. The WiFi on this one keeps dropping from time to time. It's done this a couple of times today.

The WAN & LAN time showing in the attached picture are only around 14 hours as I lost Internet again last night and hoped that resetting the router might help.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information-router-stats-22-4-2011.jpg  

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast