Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No Router - advice needed!!!???

This is a discussion on No Router - advice needed!!!??? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello! We had our BT line fitted 15 days ago and we were told we would recieve our router 3-5 ...

Hog
      Hog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy No Router - advice needed!!!???

Hello!

We had our BT line fitted 15 days ago and we were told we would recieve our router 3-5 working days from that date, but nothing arrived. When I called Sky they told me 2 more days, but still nothing. Finally I called again last week and they said they hadn't even sent it due to a 'problem with the routers being sent'.

Am I now paying for a service I can't use? I havn't been told an activation date but I would have thought it was ready to go by now.

Anybody here had this problem? I've read some other horror stories of waiting 2 months for a sky router!!!!!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: No Router - advice needed!!!???

There is a major issue currently which has caused a lack in the number of new routers being available to new Sky BB customers.

The issue has been identified and there is a procedure in place should you receive a dodgy one (this forum also has the 'fix' to help should you get stuck).

Sadly the result is that you are not alone. Many New customers are waiting more than two weeks after their activation date.

Since Sky will not issue login details for you to use on a router of your own, you have every right under consumer protection laws to gain recompense for your inconvenience. This may equate to a couple of months free BB.

Sorry I can't offer a great deal more help.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Sky don't receive the username and password until the router has logged in for the first time.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      Sky don't receive the username and password until the router has logged in for the first time.
      This is true, since they are encoded into their routers and they have no idea which you will specifically receive.

It would also be helpful if they have a list of details which new customers could use if they were without a Sky router for any period.

I seriously don't know what they are worried about? You need to connect to the correct ISP from your telephone. If a neighbour of mine plugged a BT HomeHub into my ADSL socket, it wouldn't connect to either Sky or BT.

Hog
      Hog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, thats great.

I've just come off the phone to sky who have said they have sent it on the 13th April but there is no tracking number on the system. I'm not holding my breath on revieving it today or tomorrow as they have just told me i will!!

Very frustrating but thank you for your advice

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

New routers are currently taking up to 10 days to arrive, but the idea was that since it takes up to 14 days to activate your BB, your new router is meant to be dispatched when the order kicks in so that it arrives before you are active.

Looks like in this case it wasn't unfortunately.

If you call them as soon as you are up and running your account will be credited for the time you have not had your service and as has been said, they will probably give you some free BB time as well.

McPartlin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Same problem here I'm afraid, have just fired off a complaint after being very disatisfied with my dealings over the phone with Sky. From what I've heard they don't really take complaints seriously so goodness knows what good this will do me but the basic gist of my complaint for those that are interested...

I write to complain and to hopefully hasten a swift resolution to the problems I have had with you since ordering Sky and in particular trying to get Broadband. The specific issue which I need to be addressed is that I want you to send me the broadband router which I am entitled to ASAP and get me online. If I do not receive this by the end of this week I will be cancelling my whole Sky order.

The main reason I ordered Sky was to take advantage of the Sky Talk/ Broadband bundle, so I ordered that alongside Sky+HD. The first problem arose when my HD box broke down the day after it was installed and had to be replaced. I was told on installation that I would be contacted in a few days time about my broadband. After a week of no contact I called to be told that for some reason they had cancelled my order. I instructed them to reinstate this. I received no further communication which I found a little strange. On Tuesday April 12th, more than a month after ordering Sky my internet link and telephone went dead. I called Sky and asked if this meant my phone and broadband was being transferred over - I was told it was (would have been nice to have been told this in advance!). I asked when I could expect to receive my broadband router - I was told 2 - 3 days. Yesterday (17th April) I called to ask where my broadband router was - the chap I spoke to seemed to think it had been sent. It hadnít. After being on hold for a few minutes I was passed to someone else and told that I would have to wait 10 days before I received my router.

Believe in better? I'll believe it when I see it.

Thanks

Obviously Sky are having some issues at present with their routers.

It would appear that their chosen supplied (Sagencom) has let them down badly.

You still have your consumer rights. If you are not receiving a satisfactory result, members of this forum can also provide you with contact details for the sky Executive team who can make much bigger waves.

In all cases though, I would recommend that you contact Sky and see what they can do. Always make a note of whom you spoke with, what was said and what was agreed. This part is just good practise for any company when things go wrong.

Sadly there appears to be an issue with the warehouses not getting the new routers in and dispatched promptly. This is affecting many Sky customers who all have a right to expect a better service.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

McPartlin (18-04-11)

McPartlin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Just to update - just had a call from an extremely helpful lady at Sky who has promised to resolve this ASAP so I am now hopeful.

Would advise it's worth e-mailing if you have the same problems as me as this seems to spur them into action.
      ExecCustEnq at bskyb.com

Please do not put active emails on the posts, these are harvested and end up being spammed, with the result that they are disabled.
      Last edited by Isitme; 18-04-11 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Disabled email.

Thanks

Well done.

If you don't get a result from that email address, there is a more direct one which is buried within this forum somewhere. It has proven to be a useful contact when required too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast