Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Router suggestions to increase line speed?

This is a discussion on New Router suggestions to increase line speed? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I *believe* I am on a conexant based exchange, bradwell abbey exchange. Traceroute shows traceroute to BBC - Homepage (212.58.244.66), ...

mrbulldog84 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New Router suggestions to increase line speed?

I *believe* I am on a conexant based exchange, bradwell abbey exchange. Traceroute shows

traceroute to BBC - Homepage (212.58.244.66), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
      1 myrouter.home (192.168.0.1) 2.297 ms 1.075 ms 0.992 ms
      2 02dc093e.bb.sky.com (2.220.9.62) 39.908 ms 40.767 ms 41.676 ms
      3 10.245.182.97 (10.245.182.97) 41.823 ms 39.946 ms 39.307 ms
      4 te0-7-0-5.er11.thlon.ov.easynet.net (89.200.134.59) 42.251 ms 42.633 ms 44.780 ms
      5 212.58.238.189 (212.58.238.189) 40.960 ms 41.821 ms 40.969 ms
      6 212.58.238.129 (212.58.238.129) 59.743 ms 43.112 ms 40.964 ms
      7 212.58.239.58 (212.58.239.58) 42.301 ms 41.249 ms 41.491 ms
      8 212.58.251.44 (212.58.251.44) 41.356 ms 42.783 ms 42.168 ms
      9 bbc-vip111.telhc.bbc.co.uk (212.58.244.66) 42.908 ms 42.435 ms 40.142 ms

Which has "easynet" in it which means its the old easynet stuff down at the exchange? I know the billion 7402XX range is very good, but it is SO expensive. Is there any other routers out there that use the same chipset?? or the same chipset type as is found in the exchange?

thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: New Router suggestions to increase line speed?

How about looking at some basic issues first?

Could you post you stats?

What kind of set up do you have in respect of telephone wiring & router positioning, in respect of the Master Socket & any extensions?

Finally do you have a filtered faceplate fitted?

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Its got easynet in the route because you are on Sky who bought the easynet network.
      Before assuming your router is an issue do as Scubbie advises.
      And what you think the issue is would also help.

Thanks

Stats:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7613 kbps 945 kbps
      Line Attenuation 37.5 dB 20.9 dB
      Noise Margin 7.0 dB 13.2 dB

Setup:
      i) Pre-filtered adsl nation faceplate
      ii) Router connected directly to master socket with no other extensions or phones connected

In my opinion for 37.5dB attenuation my downstream sync speed should be closer to 10000kbps. It would also help if I changed to a router with a tweakable SNR because 7.0 is far too high...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Its got easynet in the route because you are on Sky who bought the easynet network.
      Before assuming your router is an issue do as Scubbie advises.
      And what you think the issue is would also help.
      So without stating the obvious, what chipset is my exchange using? I thought there was a way of identifying it...?

thanks

Thanks

A couple of points first:

* the tool on this forum that provides an estimate of your speed, based on your line attenuation, indicates that you should get a speed between 9-10Mb

* the noise margin of 7dB is Sky's default and the best it will normally set

* changing the noise margin could cause DLM to kick in if you get it wrong, but others have tried it with degrees of success

* Billion's 7800n range has a the right chip set to make the most of Sky's LLU equipment I believe. In fairness the difference can be up to 500kbps added to your d/l speed

Whilst the ADSL Nation Faceplate will be of good quality, I would be inclined to take it out and plug in a separate micro-filter and post your stats from the test socket. Micro-filters can and do fail and even a filtered faceplate can have problems over a longer period of time.

Have you requested to be placed on a gamer profile? If this is the case, then perhaps this is why your sync rate has dropped.

Also, have you plugged a corded telephone in to the socket to see if there is any noise on the telephone line? To double check this, dial '1' and listen carefully.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      A couple of points first:

* the tool on this forum that provides an estimate of your speed, based on your line attenuation, indicates that you should get a speed between 9-10Mb

* the noise margin of 7dB is Sky's default and the best it will normally set

* changing the noise margin could cause DLM to kick in if you get it wrong, but others have tried it with degrees of success

* Billion's 7800n range has a the right chip set to make the most of Sky's LLU equipment I believe. In fairness the difference can be up to 500kbps added to your d/l speed

Whilst the ADSL Nation Faceplate will be of good quality, I would be inclined to take it out and plug in a separate micro-filter and post your stats from the test socket. Micro-filters can and do fail and even a filtered faceplate can have problems over a longer period of time.

Have you requested to be placed on a gamer profile? If this is the case, then perhaps this is why your sync rate has dropped.

Also, have you plugged a corded telephone in to the socket to see if there is any noise on the telephone line? To double check this, dial '1' and listen carefully.
      I am currently in "line testing" stage and it's keeping me at 7613 sync right now. Have tried both ADSL nation faceplate and a microfilter dongle. The adsl nation faceplate gets 0.5dB less attenuation and slightly more SNR so l'll stick with that for now. Only requested the max delay of 8 yesterday via e-mail and it hasn't been enacted yet so that isn't to blame for anything (as of yet). Think l shall google this billion 7800n. But my exchange was enabled back in 2006, that is why i would be inclined to think it has the old globespan dslam....... but nobody seems able to find out if that's true.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbulldog84 View Post
      I am currently in "line testing" stage and it's keeping me at 7613 sync right now. Have tried both ADSL nation faceplate and a microfilter dongle. The adsl nation faceplate gets 0.5dB less attenuation and slightly more SNR so l'll stick with that for now. Only requested the max delay of 8 yesterday via e-mail and it hasn't been enacted yet so that isn't to blame for anything (as of yet). Think l shall google this billion 7800n. But my exchange was enabled back in 2006, that is why i would be inclined to think it has the old globespan dslam....... but nobody seems able to find out if that's true.
      If DLM is still running, then it may change your line speed a little more. It is definitely NOT a good idea to muck about with the noise margin levels during this time.

As for your exchange, I hope that someone else will jump in to comment, but I believe the one you are describing uses the Conexant chipsets and the Billion 7800N works well with these.

From memory, I seem to recall that the Billion router also works well with the alternative LLU equipment that Sky has.

Please do search this forum as I have learnt this from the pages of this forum in recent months. You will also find other specific routers which are likely to get that little extra from your connection too.

One very important thing to do NOW though: Get you router password & username for the ADSL connection before you get a software update. The latest version locks out this ability using the current technique.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Which has "easynet" in it which means its the old easynet stuff down at the exchange?
      Are you on Sky phone rental, looking at your trace it looks like you are. I think the first exchange connection to sky.com indicates this, although I could be wrong. With a BT line your first connection would be to something like - 'cr0.<exchange>.uk.easynet.net'

This is the first thing to establish before you decide on a router. If you can give this information, you will get plenty of guidance on what you should consider. Don't think you will definitely get better performance from a router you buy, by the way, it may be no better than the one you have. The lack of speed could be down to a poor line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I am also with sky for my phone rental yes.

I admit the line might be poor, I am in an apartment complex (think dreaded apartment wiring) and a lot of the quality can probably be blamed on substandard wiring etc. However l am hoping to get a router which definitely matches the DSLAM vendor and then decrease the SNR a bit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast