Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

D-Link - what they like?

This is a discussion on D-Link - what they like? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Isitme Been done a thousand times on here. Have a look http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html Or if you have a ...

sam_skyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: TP-Link VR900 ( vdsl2 modem/router )
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: D-Link - what they like?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Been done a thousand times on here. Have a look
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

Or if you have a Cable type router
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html
      Great info... many thanks

2. Advertisement
      Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sam_skyuser View Post
      I've just spotted on the delivery note that it says it's the D-Link v1.11
      Thanks
      That's what my D-Link box has on it. As long as it isnt V2.04 then you will be able to use the username and password extraction program mention on this post, but do it ASAP before the firmware gets updated to V2.04, after this, it isnt possible to extract the username and password (well not possible for now )

Just remember when you run fuzzy logic's program that you will need to disable your firewall for the program to do its work, if my memory serves me correct.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tal71 View Post
      That's what my D-Link box has on it. As long as it isnt V2.04 then you will be able to use the username and password extraction program mention on this post, but do it ASAP before the firmware gets updated to V2.04, after this, it isnt possible to extract the username and password (well not possible for now )

Just remember when you run fuzzy logic's program that you will need to disable your firewall for the program to do its work, if my memory serves me correct.

Thanks info.

Yes... my intention is to use the utility a.s.a.p when I'm activated as if at all possible, I want to use my own modem router.

One of the reasons I upgraded (in the last few months) to the Netgear DGN3500 was that it offered 'N' wireless and has giga LAN ports. I dont know what the wireless is like on the D-Link but if it's anything like my previous experience of 'g' rated wi-fi, then it aint going to cut the mustard and reach all my devices around the house ; - )

I've tried to find some information about the D-Link but so far, not had much luck. I cant even see it on D-Link's own site but just guessing that because it's a specific badged (Sky) bit of kit, they wouldn't show it amongst their other kit?

It would be interesting to know what the updated firmware offers over v1.11 that our box comes loaded with?

Thanks

Thanks

: - ) ... just spotted a thread that appears to be talking about the update for the D-Link ..... just about to read through it. It's quite a long thread so I'm hoping/guessing it has lots of info about the new firmware : - )

Thanks

Just gone through that thread and really interesting, but like always, it now raises lots more questions : - ) (aint forums great? )

I'm not sure what 'Network Type "MER" ' is but if I'm reading things right, then as long as you can spoof the MAC on your modem, then there would not really be a need to know your username/password?

Just checked my Netgear DGN3500 and there is in fact 3 options with regards the MAC ...

1 Use default address
      2 Use computer MAC address
      3 Use 'This' MAC address

So, my guess is that option 3 would allow me to add the Sky MAC and hopefully not have to worry about grabbing the username/password?

Right... I'm just off to Google/SamKnows etc about Network Type 'MER' : - )

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

So, my guess is that option 3 would allow me to add the Sky MAC and hopefully not have to worry about grabbing the username/password?
      We have been hoping someone would try that and report back, but so far, everyone seems to have gone down the PPPoA road. Maybe even if you get your details for PPPoA you could try the Spoofing first and report back

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

We have been hoping someone would try that and report back, but so far, everyone seems to have gone down the PPPoA road. Maybe even if you get your details for PPPoA you could try the Spoofing first and report back
      Yes, sure will

As long as using my own modem/router doesn't cause any problems during the initial training period, I'd like to be able to use it right from the off, right from when I'm activated (date I've been given is 18 April).

From all the information I've received from Sky (my original order was cancelled and thats why I've got to wait until 18 April), my existing Sky telephone line, which has previously been attached to BT's system will be moved at the same time as my Sky Broadband goes active so I'm assuming that my connection will be via 'Network Type MER' ? .... and if so, hopefully spoofing the MAC in my own router will hopefully let me connect to Sky's Broadband network.

I'll of course report back any findings as and when I get activated.

Thanks to all for the great info/help

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

We always advise using the Sky router, at least until DLM training has completed. That way you are unlikely to have problems if you have to call support.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

We always advise using the Sky router, at least until DLM training has completed. That way you are unlikely to have problems if you have to call support.
      Yes... thats the sort of thing I'm concerned about... i.e if anything goes wrong during the initial activation and training.

Given that my Netgear at the moment has few settings that relate to connection to my existing ISP (O2), and it *should* be easy enought to configure, then I guess what I could try would be just to add the Sky MAC on day one and see what happens.

My main concerns with using the D-Link is if the 'g' rated wi-fi is going to be up to the job. Also, as I run a NAS and have seen the difference that using giga LAN can make (my old modem/router was standard 10/100), again it's going to mean a dip in overall performance using Sky's supplied kit.

I think I'll have a go spoofing the MAC ... if things go wrong, I can always hook up Sky's D-Link and hopefully pull things back

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123