Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sagemcom F@st 2304N - RE: Tech & Info

This is a discussion on Sagemcom F@st 2304N - RE: Tech & Info within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Posted in another forum about getting a new router, as it seems my DLINK was playing up. It was a ...

kazz0817 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sagemcom F@st 2304N - RE: Tech & Info

Posted in another forum about getting a new router, as it seems my DLINK was playing up. It was a model DSL2640R. I bought this router to play XBOX with open NAT on 2 consoles. I am on Sky BB Max Unlimited package. The problem was, I kept getting disconnected, if left unattended, the connection stayed off about an hour, yet if I rebooted the router, it came back on right away, but went off again within 2 - 3 hours. Here are the stats I posted on one of the worse days of this situation.

Stats from DLINK 2640R
      Mode: ADSL2 PLUS
      Type: ANNEX_A
      Downstream Upstream
      Rate (Kbps): 7146 kbps 853 kbps
      SNR Margin (dB): 10.2 11.5
      Attenuation (dB): 43.0 26.1
      Output Power (dBm): 20.3 12.3
      Super Frames: 1159901 1159895
      RS Correctable Errors: 15790 143
      RS Uncorrectable Errors: 6 56
      HEC Errors: 93 0
      Total Cells: 39540 33980
      Data Cells: 24202751 4752572
      Bit Errors: 0 0

I eliminated all possible at home issues, no extensions, faceplate microfilter installed, cables fit snug, replaced cables, and got sky to check my line, all passed. It left one possible problem, the router. Sky sent me a Sagemcom F@st 2304N. I thought my misses tested it and said it still disconnected, but turns out she never actually tested anything lol. Sooo anyways. I woke up this morning, the DLINK was offline again, and this time a reboot, power off etc would not fix it. I plugged in the Sagemcom, and to my upset, it worked for an hour then disconnected again!!

I called Sky, this time on the phone for over an hour, they say my line is passed testing, everything looks good. She said 2 years ago my line was capped to 8mb due to dropouts (similar issues to what I have now). When I got off the phone 2 years ago after being capped, my internet worked flawlessly. This lady today has capped my line again to 6.5MB, she said due to environmental changes sometimes lines can change the way they behave, and she said the only thing she can think of is to cap, test 24 hours (they are calling me back tomorrow for results) and failing that, they are sending out a BT Engineer to check the street terminal thingy, and my home line. This was 3 hours ago, so I should, if normal pattern persists, be disconnecting anytime now, but the connection is holding up nicely, using the Sagem 2304N. If it drops again, I know its not the router, and can go back to my DLINK, but for the time being we are in test mode. Here are some stats using the Sagem router, after the cap:

System Up Time: 2:40:38
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 97162 180331 0 6996595 239980386 2:08:48
      LAN Up 195855 107563 0 257445931 11411344 2:40:38
      WLAN Up 27403 14871 0 36722276 1253418 2:40:19
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6496 kbps 1024 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.5 dB 25.5 dB
      Noise Margin 12.5 dB 7.0 dB

Does this look better? I am capped at 6500kbps bearing in mind. I would like to share another find with the forum too. The Sagemcom 2304N has hardly any information online about if it supports 2 XBOX consoles or more, out the box, well I can confirm that it DOES! today I was able to connect both XBOX 360 up, log in both accounts, and join each others party invites. I have also done the connection test with no NAT errors. I have yet to join a game lobby with both consoles (not tried), but from what I read, if you can both join each others party, your good

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sagemcom F@st 2304N - RE: Tech & Info

She has also changed your mode to G.DMT, which may have been a wise move. All you can do is try it, if it stays up OK, they may be able to increase your speed a bit while keeping it on G.DMT.

That is good news for gamers with more than one Xbox.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok bad news, the connection dropped out completely at 1:47pm for 5 minutes. It came back on, and it just dropped completely again at 2:46pm for about a minute!!

Sick of this, everywhere we look everything looks fine!! How can it just stop working after 2 flawless years?? Equipment cant be fault as have replaced everything more or less, and sky say its all good there end. Even a line adjustment has done nothing. What else is left?? I know she said BT Engineer, but what can they do?

Thanks

I know she said BT Engineer, but what can they do?
      They can find the fault on the line which is causing your drop outs

Unfortunately they will probably send an ordinary engineer who will check that voice is working properly and sign it off as OK. You really need one who will get to the bottom of the problem and not sign off until it is fixed. Sky are very reluctant to send this type out as they are very expensive, upwards of 200.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

How do I know which typ they will send, I mean are they differant vans or something?

Sky told me to leave it 24 hours and ring back with results, but seen as it is disconnecting now still should I just ring back today?

Thanks

You will not know what type they send, but it is usually an ordinary engineer. Waste of money in my opinion, but so is sending out new routers when it is most likely the line that is faulty.

I would call them straight away and tell them it is still dropping.

TomD

Useful Utilites

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

They're just different 'products' essentially - LL1 = Standard telephone fault or bb fault where line testing shows a fault, LL14 = LLU Special Faults Investigator - used for bb only when the line is showing right when tested.

Unless the person literally doesn't have a clue what they're doing, they'll book the proper SFI. Don't worry.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Will call them in a minute, hopefully I dont have to go like this for ages lol, will update

Exchange:
      Thanks

Urgh, just phoned, the guy made me go through ALL what I did this morning all over again, can't believe it, another 30 minutes wasted. He said he wont send BT out until they have monitored closely my internet for 24 hours, I have got a callback booked in tomorrow at dinner time.

I am at a loose end though, both higher up tech people have no clue what is wrong, thats not a good sign right? I'm doomed. 2 years of flawless internet and all gone to pot.

Things we have done to eliminate problems:

-Plugged into test socket with brand new microfilter

-Replaced ADSL cable with a new one

-Replaced router with a brand new one

-Checked connections, fittings

-Sky say because ALL devices go down at same time, it eliminated internal Ethernet cables. If PC only went down but all else worked, then PC Ethernet may be broken, but the fact that EVERYTHING disconnects at the same time shows otherwise.

-Had line re-capped and re-profiled and other various settings changed

-Sky have ran tests on line several times, everytime coming back fine.

==========

Completely baffled, as are Sky! See what happens tomorrow, the connection has gone from dropping every 3-4 hours to every 30 - 90mins now, it is so frustrating.

The only possible things I can think of now is:

1) My master/test socket is faulty, although the house phone works fine with no line noise.
      2) A fault in the lines on the street, which are underground.

Clueless. The guy was baffled why my light goes red when it shows working at Sky's end, and sometimes when I have a green light, it still wont work lol.

Something I just thought of while typing this message, I have a Dynamode 8 port Ethernet switch connected to my router, which is a device that provides extra ethernet sockets. Could this cause the constant disconnects? I DID mention this device to the Sky people and they said to leave it in if I need it (which I do) as this device will have no affect on my line dropping out. I want to double check that with you guys though.

I have spoken with neighbors this afternoon, and 2 of them said their internet is fine, one with BT and one with Sky, although mentioned 2 weeks ago their lines played up for 1 day.

Could software on my PC or Laptop be causing this problem? If so what is often the culprit?

What about devices? Is there any device onmy network that could cause the red light on my router (no internet incoming) Here are my connected devices:

All are wired except stated

Dynamode 8 Port Ethernet Switch
      2x XBOX 360 (Slim)
      Playstation 3
      Desktop PC (Windows 7)
      Laptop PC (Windows 7) - Wireless
      WDTV Live Media Server (Connected via main PC)
      Samsung Galaxy S Mobile - Wireless
      2x iPod Touch - Wireless

Only devices that are on all the time is the Laptop and Desktop PC's

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry to keep posting, but I have a theory, I need someone to let me know if this could be the cause. If Sky tell me everything is perfect at their end, and I know everything is spot on at this end. Is it possible if a router is malfunctioning, that Sky will not see this and tell me? I mean they only monitor the lines right?

The reason I ask this is this......My DLINK (router that I had connected when this all started) worked flawlessly. I bought the Dynamode switch about 4 weeks ago (when the problems started) With it only being a switch, I completely bypassed it. But tonight I made observation. My Sagem was all green, good to go, but no internet, I plug in DLINK, and its all red - no internet. I unplugged the Sagem for an hour as it was boiling hot. I spent an hour rebooting DLINK, all red, nothing. Then I realised I maybe did a mistake. The Dynamode box is metal, and I placed this on top of my DLINK, which is set flat on top of my Sky HD box. Metal stores heat, and the Dynamode was scorching. The SkyHD box also gets warm, I wonder maybe I have fried my DLINK?

Luckily the Sagem, even though was also a victim of bad placement, is still working, I have seated the plastic mount, let it cool down, and reconnected, now its green again, but the internet actually works now! Only been online 17 minutes, so expecting more disconnects, but could this actually be the cause? Heat?

If so, chances are my DLINK has burned out? and my Sagem was malfunctioning cos of heat, but not completely fried luckily, and now cool it may be saved?

This is a shot in the dark, total long shot, but you never know, this could be my issue? I will update on next disconnect, fingers crossed I dont get one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast