Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fighting with the Sagem 2304N!

This is a discussion on Fighting with the Sagem 2304N! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello all, First post! I've just signed up, as Sky have recently unbundled our exchange. I was getting around 3Mbit/sec ...

Elmlea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NSELG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Fighting with the Sagem 2304N!

Hello all,

First post! I've just signed up, as Sky have recently unbundled our exchange. I was getting around 3Mbit/sec on ADSL Max, so was hoping for better. Still in the training period with no speed increase yet, so we'll see about that, but in the meantime I've been arguing with the awful router they provide.

I've got one of the new, "looks like a little HD box" Sagem 2304N routers. It's terrible; we use a 360 downstairs and a PS3 upstairs to stream media from our iMac, and that worked seamlessly with my old Belkin full-N router. With the Sagem, the PS3 chugged and struggled through a typical TV show, to the point it was unwatchable.

So I've got 2 options; either extract the username and password and switch back to the Belkin, or try to use the Belkin as a switch to run my network.

Regarding option 1: I tried the "Skypass" site, and it gave me a username and password. I copied both into the Belkin, assigned it the same MAC as the Sky router, but no luck at all. All I get are CHAPS authentication errors; so I presume the SkyPass site isn't correctly extracting passwords yet for these new routers?

Regarding option 2: I'm confused as to how I link them together. I've read the advice of turning off DHCP on the Belkin and setting its IP address to 192.168.0.250, but if I want it to handle all the iMac, MacBook, 2 iPhones, 360, PS3, netbook and Kindle, surely I want it to act as a DHCP server?

Also, what do I do to the Sky router? I'm worried that just piggybacking them will end up with horrible DHCP and NAT errors (especially for the 2 consoles). I'm pretty technically savvy, but never done this before.

Any advice....?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Fighting with the Sagem 2304N!

There have been a lot of problems with the new Sky routers recently. These have mostly been down to them not connecting to the Internet properly. Yours doesn't appear to have this problem though.

The Sagem 2304n isn't actually a proper WiFi n router. It allows up to 72mbps connection, whilst the minimum for WiFi n is 150mbps. It does not have a WiFi n certificate, only WiFi b & g.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmlea View Post
      Regarding option 2: I'm confused as to how I link them together. I've read the advice of turning off DHCP on the Belkin and setting its IP address to 192.168.0.250, but if I want it to handle all the iMac, MacBook, 2 iPhones, 360, PS3, netbook and Kindle, surely I want it to act as a DHCP server?

Also, what do I do to the Sky router? I'm worried that just piggybacking them will end up with horrible DHCP and NAT errors (especially for the 2 consoles). I'm pretty technically savvy, but never done this before.
      Read this thread: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

You could turn the WiFi off on the Sagem router or leave it on. Following the guide in the above link I hope things will be easy to follow. Please feel free to comment, the idea it to make things easier not harder.

The set up will be able to handle multiple WiFi connections through both routers.

What is also worth noting is that it is better to use the PS3 (and any other games machine) on a cabled connection, not WiFi, when playing on-line games.

P.S. Linking the two routers can either be accomplished by an Ethernet cable (short, medium or long, it doesn't matter) or with a pair of HomePlugs.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 25-03-11 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added postscript

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm surprised that this will allow either router to handle multiple connections; I assumed the Belkin would get confused if it wasn't set up as a DHCP server?

I've set the Belkin's IP address to 192.168.0.250, and now can't connect to it at all, at least not wirelessly. I'll dig out a cable tomorrow and try some more...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elmlea View Post
      Thanks very much for the reply. I'm surprised that this will allow either router to handle multiple connections; I assumed the Belkin would get confused if it wasn't set up as a DHCP server?

I've set the Belkin's IP address to 192.168.0.250, and now can't connect to it at all, at least not wirelessly. I'll dig out a cable tomorrow and try some more...
      I trust that you followed the guide that I composed. If this is the case then there should be few issues.

Basically the Belkin router will defer the allocation of IP addresses to the Sky router. The Belkin router will handle specific WiFi connections and it's own passwording will come in to play. I've found that if you enable the 'Wireless Station Access List' on the Sky router, it can influence both WiFi routers.

This is a normal process for LANs. The Belkin router, in this instance, provides a kind of doorway to you LAN, but allows the Sky router to hold the keys.

You can also you the other LAN ports on the Belkin to access the Internet. Useful to know if you have a Games machine (i.e PS3 or Xbox) or the Sky+ HD STB and want to access Anytime+.

Sadly the Sky Router does have the facility to 'Bridge' routers via WiFi. This is one reason why the document was created.

Sky would have supplied a short yellow Ethernet cable with the Sky Router. You can use this to prove your settings. I have faith that if you followed the guide that was posted in the thread, then all will work fine.

For the long term either use a long Ethernet Cable or a pair of HomePlugs. This will allow you to extend your coverage around your home.

For reference, prior to my own router failing, I had 3 routers & one switch on my own LAN. Each router had it's own address, the switch doesn't have one. Currently I have two routers & one Switch.

In terms of devices I have 2 Desktop PCs, 2 Laptops, Sky+ HD, TV, pair of HomePlugs & Mobile Phone. Each connects via Ethernet cable or WiFi or both. I also have 4 other desktops that could be connected. Occasionally friends visit and they can connect their Laptops quite easily too.

There is a limit. This is governed by the number of IP Addresses that can be allocated. Since a router will take 1 address, this leaves approximately 253 more available.

There is a way of getting beyond this limit, but since most home users do not need to concern themselves with this, you and I can safely ignore that process for now.

P.S. My own router failed because of a manufacturer defect (it overheats too easily & I didn't know this when I purchased it). It was the Netgear DGN2000.

Thanks

Well, following your guide to the letter it looks like I've got a solution; typing this connected to my Belkin router wirelessly, with its DHCP server switched off, IP address set to 192.168.0.250, and the Sky router left currently at default settings. Thanks!

The only potential snag I can still think of is NAT issues when it comes to the consoles, but I wonder if making sure there's only one router acting as a DHCP server should fix that? Failing that, can I assume the Sky router's still issuing IP addresses, so adding the 360 to the Sky router's DMZ will ensure it's got an open NAT?

Thanks

The Sky Router will handle all of this as if you were connecting directly.