Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No internet in two upstairs rooms-help!

This is a discussion on No internet in two upstairs rooms-help! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I am new to this forum so please bear with me! I swapped to the full TV, phone & ...

shirlz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01253
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No internet in two upstairs rooms-help!

Hi, I am new to this forum so please bear with me!
      I swapped to the full TV, phone & broadband package a few months ago and have had wireless problems ever since in part of the house. No problems with last 2 ISP's and routers.
      The Sagem router is with the main PC downstairs in a backroom and is connected via the ethernet cable and a telephone extension cable.
      We can get very good to excellent wireless connection on laptops and netbooks except in the 2 front bedrooms and on the landing. Sky told me to try different channels, which I have - 11 being the best, but problem still same.
      I think it is because the router is in an alcove next to a chimney breast wall and probably needs to be at the front door at the main telephone socket. Sky said I could run a longer ethernet cable through the house!!
      What about a wireless adapter at the PC and changing the place for the router to be? Would that help? If so, which adapter is best, please?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: No internet in two upstairs rooms-help!

There are a number of solutions.

A WiFi adapter is only going to be of any use if there is a WiFi signal reaching the PC.

Due to a recent change in Sky's product range, could you confirm which router you actually have please?

Is it the Sagem 2504, 2304n or 2504N?

The Sagem 2504 is WiFi g. The 2304n is a little better (74mbps instead of 56mbps and improved signal strength). The 2504N is full WiFi n, but we are still looking for the specs of this router.

An alternative solution is also available. This would involve either using a spare router from a previous ISP that you may still have or purchasing a LAN Switch and a pair of HomePlugs. The result would be that you could have a LAN connection in the other part of your home. If you were to use a WiFi enabled router, then this could boost your WiFi coverage.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

OMG! You've lost me already - sorry! The router just says Sagem on it.

Thanks

Have read on here about plugging previous, non-Sky router into Sky one and so not breaching T&C etc. As I had no problems previously - would that work?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

That would work. Follow Scubbies directions in this post-
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ok, lets work on one thing at a time first.

If you could type the address 192.168.0.1 in to your browser, you'll be presented with the sign-in page. If you read this piece carefully, it actually might state the full model number there. It does with my Netgear, so I'm hoping the same is true for yours.

Next, with regards to using your old router, you are correct in stating that technically it is against the Sky T&Cs to use an old router. There is a link we can provide for you to get the sign-in details from your Sagem router, but you definitely need to know which model you have first.

I was actually thinking of linking the Sky router and your old router together. There is a document that is available on this site specifically to help you with this task. It requires either a long Ethernet cable or a pair of HomePlugs to link the two routers together and a few changes to your old router that can easily be completed.

This is particularly popular with people connecting a games machine or the Sky+ HD STB to a LAN. It is also useful when a larger home is struggling with the WiFi from the single router connected to the telephone line.

Edit: lol! Tom's posted a link to the doc!

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Have checked the router site for the model but no mention of anything Sagem there
      Have read your instructions for the 2 routers together and my head exploded!! I obviously don't have the experience or the ability to cope with the technicalities

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It is quite easy really, even a woman could do it, it was written by one after all.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yeh! Nothing to do with gender...I have other skills! Just my experience of computing is mostly limited to browsing, ebay and research for my nursing degree.
      Have to say though, that this wirless problem is driving me nuts cos both my daughters got netbooks for Christmas. Now one can use the internet in her room whilst the other can't You can imagine the arguments and of course it's all my fault cos I changed us over to Sky. No previous problems with other routers. That is what is so frustrating.
      I'll have another read and see if I can cope!! Thank you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is quite easy really, even a woman could do it, it was written by one after all.
      lol - Nice one!

Seriously though, I did have your help too in fine tuning it, thanks.

Getting back on track though, the guide is designed to be suitable for people with different levels of experience. Admittedly I don't have access to a Linux machine or a Mac, for screen shots from them, but hopefully it will help most others.

I noticed in your stats, which have been removed, that you are on MER already. This could make it difficult to extract the password to enable you to use the old router as the sole ADSL connection. Some members have been able to do this, whilst others have struggled.

Forgetting the HomePlugs for the moment, you should have a couple of short Ethernet leads that can be used. If you follow the instructions in the guide using those, you should be able to complete the task.

If it works, then you could look at purchasing a pair of HomePlugs. These are relatively easy to install and use. Many are literally 'Plug & go' some require that you push a button on them to synchronise them, but instructions are enclosed with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast