Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

@Light on Router is flashing amber and always displaying gateway authentication

This is a discussion on @Light on Router is flashing amber and always displaying gateway authentication within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been a sky user for nearly two years now, and all of a sudden the router is having ...

Jonney.Corner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01792
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

@Light on Router is flashing amber and always displaying gateway authentication

I have been a sky user for nearly two years now, and all of a sudden the router is having problems connecting, first of all it started with the @Light flashing amber randomly, and then it went to displaying the gateway authentication all the time.
      e.g. if i typed in Google onto my internet browser it would instantly open the gateway login. once logged in with the login name and password it would take me straight to the router settings rather than the desired website wanted to go on.

I rang sky about a week ago, and they didnt give me much help, such as sending an engineer down or anything, all they said was that they would send me a new router in 3 working days. The 3 days came and i then set my new router up, but unfortunately the same problem occured.

Can someone help?
      i have tried reseting the router but still, nothing has happened.
      When my router is not in use i always turn it off. then enable it when needed.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: @Light on Router is flashing amber and always displaying gateway authentication

Did you also change the PSU, or are you still using the old one?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Jonney.Corner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01792
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: @Light on Router is flashing amber and always displaying gateway authentication

Yes i changed the PSU which came with the new router, also i changed the broadband filters that came with the new hub.

Thanks

It looks like a router problem, but if the new router is doing the same, that would seem to rule that out. I suppose it is possible the 'new' router is also faulty, but I doubt that is the case. All you can do is get back on to Sky and tell them you have the same problem.

You have tried the router in the Test socket to rule out internal wiring problems? If you haven't, try it there and post your stats.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket
      How to get your router statistics

When my router is not in use i always turn it off. then enable it when needed.
      That is not good practise really, it can shorten the life of the router. It is better left on 24/7.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Might be a good idea to post your full stats if possible and then we can see if there are errors building. Mel's Notes

Would also enable use to see if you are on Fastpath.

Usually when its asking for a username and password its because an ip address is not being allocated, the router is trying to take you to its page to show you

Not a good idea to always leave the router of as you can miss firmware updates.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

The router gateway page usually pops up when there is no sync (i.e. internet light always flashing amber). Is it still doing that or are you getting a steady green or amber light?

Did they do any tests on your line before sending the replacement router?

Tried test socket?

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Guessing that it is trying to show that no ip address has been allocated.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

bry159 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hello,

I wondered if anyone could help me, as judging by what I've been reading, I'm having similar problems with my router. I have logged on to find the statistics that people have asked for, and I also turn off the router by the mains plug each night. I am a bit hesitant about leaving it on constantly - is it really so awful to keep switching the router off?

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 10:47:44
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 1354 200227 0 1408 1250680 00:03:03
      LAN 14001 29455 0 42 229 10:47:44
      WLAN 234418 156293 0 1408969 116298 00:02:54
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10720 kbps 920 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41.0db 24.5db
      Noise Margin 6.9db 7.5db
      Poll Interval: (secs)

We're having more frequent "downtime" at the moment where the router flashes amber, then takes a few minutes to sort its life out and let us reconnect to the internet. We use Google Chrome and frequently get a pink screen when the browser no loner loads, or it starts bothering us for a username and password.

Many thanks in advance, and apologies for re-awakening an older thread.

Bryan.

Thanks

We use Google Chrome and frequently get a pink screen when the browser no loner loads, or it starts bothering us for a username and password.
      I seem to remember that this occurred when the PSU was starting to fail. If you have a spare 12v PSU try that and see if it helps. Many of the PSUs issued with the 2504 failed early in their life.

You have an exceptionally good sync speed for your attenuation and you may find you get a more stable connection with a slight reduction in speed. Only Sky can do this and only ask for it as a last resort.

There are millions of people worldwide who never switch their router off. You may think that you are 'saving the environment' by switching it off, but that is debatable. Constantly switching electronic equipment on and off will shorten its life, meaning that it has to be replaced sooner. The replacement costs a lot of energy to manufacture, maybe more than it costs to keep the router switched on.

TomD

Useful Utilites