Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Problems with Sagem Router

This is a discussion on Problems with Sagem Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; He has found another one Scubbie a DG834G v3, which is an ADSL router. I have seen reports that the ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Problems with Sagem Router

He has found another one Scubbie a DG834G v3, which is an ADSL router.

I have seen reports that the Password generator for the Sagem works with the new router, so set it up and try it. You have nothing to loose.
      The main details you need are
      Encapsulation ...PPPoA
      VPI........................0
      VCI........................38
      Multiplexing....... VC
      Also make sure the Region is set to UK.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Gormley1080 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Your Netgear router is a DSL/Cable Router. The connection that you are using is an ADSL/ADSL2+ connection. These are two different types of BB and they have different physical methods of connecting to the routers.

Now if you happened to have a third router which was an ADSL2+ Router, then the story would be quite different.
      Did you see that it was a different router to the one I mentioned earlier? The one i'm talking about now is a different one to the Virgin one I was talking about at the beginning of the thread. The back of the router i'm trying to use now states that it is a "54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Router" (Netgear DG834G)

I just need to know how to input the details, and where so I can give it a blast. I plugged the line directly into this new router, instead of using the Sagem, and while the Internet light was a steady green, I was unable to connect to the internet, which makes me think that if I can just get the Username and Password in the right places, and possibly get hold of a Sky firmware for it somewhere, I could be in business.

Hypothetically, of course

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I had missed that you were now using a different router.

If you look at Tom's post, you'll see the information that you need in addition to the username & password that you have extracted.

You'll need to sign into the Netgear router and click on the tab to change the settings. All the information should be relatively easy to change.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Unless they have been changed log into the DG834 by typing 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, put in admin for the username and password for the password.

Click Basic settings in the left menu and put in the following.
      1. Tick Yes my ISP requires a login
      2. Encapsulation PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
      3. Put in the Username and password and set idle time to 0
      4 Check Get IP address and DNS from ISP.
      5. Enable NAT
      6. Click Apply.
      7. Click ADSL settings in the left menu
      8. Set Multiplexing method to VC-Based
      9. Set VPI to 0 and the VCI to 38
      10. Click Apply and that is it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did...but no matter what, even though the router is showing a green internet light, it wont let me connect to the internet. Which leads me down to three final conclusions.

1: I've managed to input something wrong into Skypass (Which I'm assuming is simply the MAC address at the bottom of the back on the router, and the original network key), thus giving me the wrong Username and Password

2: It is NOT possible at this time to use the Skypass Sagem option in order to extract the Username and Password for the new Modem

3: The new Netgear i've come across has a firmware installed on it that is incompatible with Sky's service (ie Was used with another internet setup which locks out.

I hope i'm not bugging anyone with this drawn out way of doing things...I just hate being beaten by any form of hardware!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Whoops, accidental double-post there. Thanks Sagem, cutting me off mid-post.

Thanks

If you are showing a green light on the Netgear for the internet connection, that means you are connected to the Sky servers, otherwise it would be orange. Are you sure it is not a DNS problem. Try connecting the Netgear and reboot your PC while it is connected. See what happens then.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cheers isitme...had a crack and restarted while having the computer connected via ethernet to the router, still no joy. Checked the router settings and using a Dynamic DNS is turned off, however Windows' Network Troubleshooter is telling me that there may be a problem with DNS, however it didn't tell me much other than that. To be honest, I really don't know where to go from here, trying to search up on google, but there's so much stuff related to DNS problems, I don't know where to begin.

If you've all exhausted all your help, I totally understand...these things never seem to run smoothly for me anyway. Any final advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated, but if that's about as far as you can all go, it's cool. Thanks again!

EDIT: Been doing some looking up on the subject and have somewhat educated myself on what to do. Been reading up on the possibility of using a seperate DNS server...the netgear I have has a default option of going with DynDNS if you prevent the router from automatically obtaining the DNS details, so I think i'll sign up with that and roll with it, see what happens. Will keep all posted
      Last edited by Gormley1080; 16-03-11 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Quick Update

Thanks

Dynamic DNS will not help when connecting from your home, only when trying to connect to your home from a remote connection.

Try entering DNS server settings in the Netgear. To do this go into its settings and at the same page where you put in the username and pass word, at the bottom where it says Domain Name Servers check 'Use these DNS servers and put these addresses into the spaces
      and

Remember to click Apply. You can try clicking the Test button and see what it brings up.

TomD

Useful Utilites

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Might also be a good idea to look and see if the new router can be flashed with the uberGT firmware.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast