Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Problems with Sagem Router

This is a discussion on Problems with Sagem Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I don't know why Sky once again went for Sagem. They must be providing them very cheap to get rid ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Problems with Sagem Router

I don't know why Sky once again went for Sagem. They must be providing them very cheap to get rid of out of date stock. Just try buying a Sagem router in UK and see what you get. Nothing but exSky routers. Why they did not stick with established UK brands like Netgear or Dlink can only be down to financial considerations. Maybe their tightness is coming back to bite them.

Anyone with one of these dodgy routers should call Sky right away and insist on a replacement.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Gormley1080 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hey guys, quick update post.

Still haven't gotten in contact with Sky, got called into a shift at work, so I haven't had time! The Sagem's still giving me gip, turning itself off as before. However, I have come across an old Netgear WGR614 v9 that the past tenants left behind when they moved out.

It was originally used with a virgin broadband account, but i've reset the settings and can now access the router. I've been hearing possibilities of installing the Sky firmware onto other routers, but I have no idea (and I really mean NO) on how to do this. I'll have a search on google to see what I can come up with.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, or has any ideas on how I could possibly use this Netgear model to connect to Sky Broadband, i'm all ears people

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

The Netgear WGR614 is a DSL/Cable Router. You need an ADSL router.

Keep it though, should you wish to use it as a Switch with WiFi in another part of your home, you can do so.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Gormley1080 (13-03-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cheers Scubbie, decided not to go that way anyway, due to the possibility of being disconnected for using a different router. Shame it wouldn't work, but I'll keep it regardless!

Totally sucks having to restart the router every couple of minutes, but I suppose it'll just
      have to do till I send the bugger off for a replacement.

By the way, I know it's quite a vague and open question, but is there anything specific about Sky Broadband I should know from you lot who've been with them for whatever period of time? Such as choking the speed on the usage of torrent programs, or if the online gaming is up to scratch? I used to be with o2 a while back, and they were pretty consistant. Not jumping on no bandwagons or nothing, but I'm curious if this faulty router stuff is something people have seen before and are used to, or something that is common knowledge among Sky users.

I'm sure it's a one off, and the service should be good. Has been a pretty smooth installation of everything so far, this is simply the worst problem of an otherwise sound service.

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gormley1080 View Post
      Totally sucks having to restart the router every couple of minutes, but I suppose it'll just
      have to do till I send the ****** off for a replacement.

By the way, I know it's quite a vague and open question, but is there anything specific about Sky Broadband I should know from you lot who've been with them for whatever period of time? Such as choking the speed on the usage of torrent programs, or if the online gaming is up to scratch? I used to be with o2 a while back, and they were pretty consistant. Not jumping on no bandwagons or nothing, but I'm curious if this faulty router stuff is something people have seen before and are used to, or something that is common knowledge among Sky users.
      I should contact Sky ASAP and find out where the replacement router is first. There are quite a few reports on this forum that there has been a large batch of faulty routers.

As for torrents, your profile indicates that you are on the Sky BB Unlimited package. There is NO traffic management of any kind.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quick side note...is there any possibility I could run the internet through the main Sky Router, wire the connection to the DSL router via ethernet, and use the wireless connection on the DSL router to access the internet through the Sky router?

If that makes no sense, or is a dumb question, then I do apologise. Just trying everything and anything.

And if it's too much to bother explaining, what should I search up if it's possible?

Thanks

Yes it will work.

Hopefully the guide in this link will help: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

The guide talks about setting up a router to talk to the Sky Router, letting the Sky Router run as the DHCP server (meaning it allocates the LAN IP addresses) and connect to the Internet.

If you have any difficulties, please feel free to post your questions on that thread.

You then set up you DSL router's WiFi as you desire.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If the router is dropping its internet connection, piggy backing another router on to it is not going to help. The new Sky routers are N Lite, which means they have a higher wireless speed than your WGR614 v9, so using it is hardly worth it. Wait till your replacement router arrives and see if it makes any difference.

If you are going to connect it with a long ethernet cable or homeplugs to a distant part of your home, that is a different proposition. I doubt if the new Sky router will be any better at penetrating walls than the old routers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unfortunately, isitme is correct on this one. Tried hooking them up (which worked), but when it went down on the Sky router, it all went down. Totally worth a shot, but you can notch that one down as "Busted"

By the by, the router IS the new Sagem F@ST 2304n, in case anyone is wondering.

Also, another development which maybe some of you fine users could help me with. I happen to come across another router, a DG834G (v3, and not an original Sky router) which is an ADSL Router Modem and thus, if one were able to aquire the password and username for the ADSL Connection login, I could, theoretically of course, use that one with it.

So, here's the new problem: I've tried using the Skypass to extract the details, and I am aware that it could be totally different for the 2304n as opposed to the original. I've gotten a password and username, but I'm not entirely sure where exactly in the Netgear settings I'm supposed to input it. I have tried putting it in certain fields that I think it should be going, but just to be sure, I could do with a second opinion. Also, how many characters long does the password tend to be? It's possible that i've put the wrong details in, or the new routers are built with a work-around for such "information extraction"

Of course, I have no intentions of using the router full time, it's just to ensure that the problem is indeed with the router, and not a problem with the line that we had installed just prior to this! Yeah. That's what i'm doing.

Anyway, this is pretty much the last resort now before packaging the dud off and sending it away, so once again, a big thanks to everyone who's helped. Such a great and helpful community.

Keep up the good work all!

Thanks

Unfortunately, isitme is correct on this one. Tried hooking them up (which worked), but when it went down on the Sky router, it all went down. Totally worth a shot, but you can notch that one down as "Busted"
      Sorry, I should have perhaps considered wording things better for you. I answered a specific question in a specific way. If the router is not connecting, then your Internet connection will be lost for anything connected to your LAN.

So, here's the new problem: I've tried using the Skypass to extract the details, and I am aware that it could be totally different for the 2304n as opposed to the original. I've gotten a password and username, but I'm not entirely sure where exactly in the Netgear settings I'm supposed to input it. I have tried putting it in certain fields that I think it should be going, but just to be sure, I could do with a second opinion. Also, how many characters long does the password tend to be? It's possible that i've put the wrong details in, or the new routers are built with a work-around for such "information extraction"
      See previous answer.

Your Netgear router is a DSL/Cable Router. The connection that you are using is an ADSL/ADSL2+ connection. These are two different types of BB and they have different physical methods of connecting to the routers.

Now if you happened to have a third router which was an ADSL2+ Router, then the story would be quite different.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast