Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Sky install - bridge mode?

This is a discussion on New Sky install - bridge mode? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I've just had a Sky ( BT /Openreach) phone line installed and the broadband will be ready on ...

powerbarge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLLI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

New Sky install - bridge mode?

Hi all,

I've just had a Sky (BT/Openreach) phone line installed and the broadband will be ready on the 11th March, with the router arriving some time before then. I would've had it in sooner i'm guessing but Sky weren't able to tell me if I could get Sky Connect (which I definitely didn't want!) or their LLU product... Line is installed now and after a quick phone call I confirmed its the LLU broadband (good news!) and wend ahead with the order.

I'm a "power user" and currently have a Linksys WRT54G with Tomato custom firmware on it which has a lot of advanced features on it that are very useful to me - I'm guessing that the router Sky send out will be a basic home model so it's not really ideal for me.

However, i've noticed that Sky enforce the use of their equipment - is it possible to have a bridge mode on this router? I want the router to present my public IP address to the WAN port of my linksys (hopefully that makes sense)

Thanks for your help in advance!
      Ben
      Last edited by powerbarge; 04-03-11 at 01:50 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: New Sky install - bridge mode?

Whilst it is a part of Sky's T&Cs, plenty of people do use their own routers without any problems.

If you want to link the two together though, this document may be of some help:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...tml#post309066

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: New Sky install - bridge mode?

You may get the latest Sky router which is an N standard, if so, your Linksys 54g will be a bottleneck.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.