Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Router?

This is a discussion on New Router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have the Sagem router from 2010(I joined in about August), anyway, I've done everything with it, new channels, manual ...

CoconutPete is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

New Router?

I have the Sagem router from 2010(I joined in about August), anyway, I've done everything with it, new channels, manual ports and legit everything to try and make the wireless remotely worth a damn, but at the end of the day, it's beyond shocking for wireless signal.

Now I have an iPhone, it's pretty annoying, because unless I leave it unprotected it disconnects every 10 minutes or so, which is beyond frustrating, wep, wpa, wpa2, makes no difference, unless theres no security itll just constantly disconnect.

I mean it's mildly ok on my macbook and another house PC, but still only does abou 4mb on them. Ethernet is fantastic and always likes 20mb.....but yeah I don't want to constant have to change ethernet cables between my xbox, ps3 and sky box.

Is there any real solution to this? Have they released a good router yet? What happens if I buy a new one router? Because at this point, I'd be willing to change over this, because it's beyond shambolic that they can't give an at least half-decent wireless router.

I really shouldn't have to spend like 100 extra just to get something THEY advertise.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: New Router?

Are you saying that you iPhone is disconnecting from the router or the router is disconnecting from the Internet?

In either case it sounds as if something is wrong. What is wrong and where is the question.

If the problem is disconnections from the router, then could I suggest that you:

a. check that the iPhone is up to date with all it's software
      b. check any iPhone forums to see if it is a known iPhone problem
      c. contact Sky to determine whether it is a Router or PSU problem

If the problem is with the router connecting to the Internet, could I ask you to post your stats?

Also could you plug the router into your Test Socket & re-post the stats?

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The router is always in the test socket because it's even worse when it's out.

The stats and all that are fine, it's just an abysmal wireless router, is there anyway to improve that part of the router?

Thanks

If you've tried relocating the router by laying it on it's side or standing it upright, then you'll be fast running out of options. Sadly most of the remaining ones may require that you spend some money.

In all their wisdom, Sky only supply a router that is capable of working up to WiFi g specifications. This inherently leaves it short on signal strength and speed compared to WiFi n.

You don't have to spend as much as 100. If you have an old router that is capable of WiFi n, then you could reconfigure this to use in tandem with, or instead of, the Sky router. There are a few ways to do this.

a. replace the Sky router
      b. connect it next to the Sky router with a short Ethernet cable
      c. connect it in another part of your home, linking it by a long Ethernet cable or by a pair of PowerLine or HomePlug adapters

Another option is to install a pair of HomePlugs, where one of them is a WiFi adapter. If you search the web, then it is possible to find some good deals with the HomePlugs. The link shows a pair for 80.

If you don't have a spare router, eBay is a good place to search for some good deals.

Alternatively, you could get a WiFi n extender. Again look around for the best price.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I do another which was pretty damn good for wireless.

But what do I do? Does the telephone cable go into the sky one or the second one(ZOOM)? Then which one I do my DMZ and setup ports on?

Thanks

The Sky router will have all the sign-in details to connect to Sky's BB. Many people, inc. myself, use non-sky routers and have used them without any problems.

Sky router password generator

Technically this is against Sky's T&Cs, but it tends to be ignored.

Basically to get the two to work in tandem, you need to assign the 2nd router to a LAN address within the range of the primary router. Sky uses the range 192.168.0.x starting from 2 (1 is for the router). So I'd recommend that you use a high number (i.e. 250, making the address 192.168.0.250).

You then set the 2nd router so that it uses the 1st as the DHCP server.

Save/apply all the settings and cable the two together.

Test it all works by plugging you PC into the 2nd router and accessing the web.

If everything is fine, you can now look at placing the 2nd router somewhere else in your home. It will still need to be connected via cable to the 1st router, but you can use HomePlugs if you don't want a long cable running all over your home.