Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

New D-Link DSL-2640S Firmware Sky_2.04?

This is a discussion on New D-Link DSL-2640S Firmware Sky_2.04? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Any chance of you posting it please?...

Kona Owner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT HomeHub4
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New D-Link DSL-2640S Firmware Sky_2.04?

Any chance of you posting it please?

2. Advertisement
      fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kona Owner View Post
      Any chance of you posting it please?
      There's a copy here:- http://cid-d4f1a5f88060a701.office.live.com/self.aspx/shared/firmware/dsl2640s^_sky1.11^_phy^_telnet22-dnsspoof.img

But, I wouldn't recommend downgrading from sky_2.04, as you'll get back all the 1.11 bugs, and the above version of 1.11 has still got the upgrade process running, so it would probably upgrade itself again anyway.

It probably is an improvement on the recovery cd, which has version 1.07, but I haven't tested it sufficiently to be sure. Telnet is running on port 22, as something in the proprietary code binds to the standard telnet port.

Not sure what if any difference the updated adsl firmware makes, I just pulled it out of a firmware from a more recent router that has the same chipset.

Unfortunately ,I can't flash the other router's firmware as is, onto the dlink, because it needs 8MB of flash memory to fit, and the sky d-link only has 4MB.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fuzzy logic For This Useful Post:

Kona Owner (06-06-11)

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Say I downgrade to 1.07 using the recovery CD. Is there anyway to extract/sniff the 2.04 firmware when the router starts to update itself to it?

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      Say I downgrade to 1.07 using the recovery CD. Is there anyway to extract/sniff the 2.04 firmware when the router starts to update itself to it?
      I guess it might be possible to do something with either the DNS or to use iptables, to redirect the update server traffic to a proxy running on a PC on the lan. I'm not entirely sure how to go about it with iptables, but I think the dlink might have a hosts file in /var, not sure if it actually uses it though, I'd have to check. You'd also need some proxy software that could be persuaded to forward the traffic to the real server, so that you could sniff it.

A simpler method might be to get a TTL serial cable(must be TTL 0/3.3V not rs232) and wire it up to the serial pins in the router. If they haven't blocked it, it might then be possible to dump mtdblock0 which should contain the router's filesystem, although you'd be missing the bootloader and Linux kernel. I wish I'd had one when I wrote my hack, it would have saved a fair bit of time fixing the bugs. Or ask sky/d-link to release the updated source, since it is covered by GPL.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      There's a copy here:- http://cid-d4f1a5f88060a701.office.live.com/self.aspx/shared/firmware/dsl2640s^_sky1.11^_phy^_telnet22-dnsspoof.img

But, I wouldn't recommend downgrading from sky_2.04, as you'll get back all the 1.11 bugs, and the above version of 1.11 has still got the upgrade process running, so it would probably upgrade itself again anyway.

It probably is an improvement on the recovery cd, which has version 1.07, but I haven't tested it sufficiently to be sure. Telnet is running on port 22, as something in the proprietary code binds to the standard telnet port.

Not sure what if any difference the updated adsl firmware makes, I just pulled it out of a firmware from a more recent router that has the same chipset.

Unfortunately ,I can't flash the other router's firmware as is, onto the dlink, because it needs 8MB of flash memory to fit, and the sky d-link only has 4MB.
      Thanks for that, my router is still on 1.11 and if your firmware is stopping the DNSspoofing it has to be worth it just for that.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      I guess it might be possible to do something with either the DNS or to use iptables, to redirect the update server traffic to a proxy running on a PC on the lan. I'm not entirely sure how to go about it with iptables, but I think the dlink might have a hosts file in /var, not sure if it actually uses it though, I'd have to check. You'd also need some proxy software that could be persuaded to forward the traffic to the real server, so that you could sniff it.

A simpler method might be to get a TTL serial cable(must be TTL 0/3.3V not rs232) and wire it up to the serial pins in the router. If they haven't blocked it, it might then be possible to dump mtdblock0 which should contain the router's filesystem, although you'd be missing the bootloader and Linux kernel. I wish I'd had one when I wrote my hack, it would have saved a fair bit of time fixing the bugs. Or ask sky/d-link to release the updated source, since it is covered by GPL.
      Thank you for replying.
      Most of your post went straight over my head but I am here to help if you want to try something.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Recieved the 2.04 firmware over night

this was my last speed test on 1.11

and this is today after realising the firmware was installed

Exchange:
      Thanks

strangley its fallen back to the same sync as 1.11 now, it was originaly 600kbps higher on 2.04.

Sebby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Potters Bar
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Mine has finally updated.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The router has been great since the firmware update, it would apear phone calls no longer force a resync, i told sky it was the router but hey as a customer i cant know best can i

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast