Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

D-Link Router Unstable

This is a discussion on D-Link Router Unstable within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; i think we are going to have to wait for a firmware, the router has incredibly poor control over the ...

Kona Owner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT HomeHub4
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: D-Link Router Unstable

i think we are going to have to wait for a firmware, the router has incredibly poor control over the downstream noise margin, far worse than any other router i have owned. Most routers will drop 2 to 4db at night where as the D-Link will drop 8db in to minus figures and then after the resync it will often drop again by another 5db.

If the wireless on the sagem was a bit better i would but that back on without batting an eye at the minute

2. Advertisement
      gadjet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haslington, crewe
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,
      Just for info. I thought I'd post some results from the log of my Dlink(SKY) router, very interesting, sometime around 3 this morning there were no stats returned at all until just after 5, when they started again.
      Attached Files Attached Files

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If the wireless on the sagem was a bit better i would but that back on without batting an eye at the minute
      Why don't you piggyback the Dlink onto the Sagem and use its wireless? That would give you the best of both worlds. It would also show if it is the router or your line that is causing the problem. There have not been many complaints about the Dlink not being able to hold its sync.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Kona Owner (07-02-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

cracking idea cheers.

the Sagem can hold sync for 600 or 700 hours without issue though, it isnt a problem the D-Link resyncing cos i know it is really pushing my line where as the sagem syncs 600kbps slower, i am just worried the mentalist Sky DLM will kick in.

Exchange:
      Thanks

last night as the attenuation was going south an incoming phone forced a re-sync, right in the middle of a good game on Blops.

This would indicate a faulty filter so i have ordered a clarity faceplate to replace the ADSL Nation XTE-2005 i am currently using although i am not convinced this will alter anything.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

If this IS the problem, a temporary solution would confirm it. I would plug a standard filter into your master socket for a few days.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

True, the new faceplate will be here tomorrow though and i have to go to work in a bit so ill hang on.

I have been watching the noise margin over the last 50 odd minutes (cant get router stats to work) and even though it is a lovely bright day the noise margin had dropped by 1.5db, it makes no sense at all as we near midday

Going back to router stats i tried the netgear alternatives and nothing and i tried the dlinks real stats url http://192.168.0.1/system.html and something but not anything that made sense, it showed 2db down and zero up attenuations with no sync speed.

Seville is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kona Owner View Post
      last night as the attenuation was going south an incoming phone forced a re-sync, right in the middle of a good game on Blops.

This would indicate a faulty filter so i have ordered a clarity faceplate to replace the ADSL Nation XTE-2005 i am currently using although i am not convinced this will alter anything.
      I had a similar issue way back, with the SNR dropping causing a resync. I tried replacing filters, Router, cables everything infact. I also found the issue happened every other phone call I got which pointed to a line fault. My Router Stats pointed to the SNR crashing every now and again especially when receiving phone calls. After weeks of coming and going with Sky and BT, with BT basically giving me a new line all the way back to the exchange they arranged a Tie Pair shift at the exchange. After the shift, I have had a constant connection with no problems.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...ng-slower.html

Above link is my story

Exchange:
      Thanks

I am not sure it is a line fault, this only happened once i put the Dlink router on and although it isn't seen as a major problem others are experiencing the same issue.

I am still waiting for the faceplate to arrive from Clarity, it was ordered on the 7th and it is the 17th today with no sign of it, i wont order from them again with ****e service like that. My ADSL Nation faceplate was here the next day!

When the faceplate arrives and i get the new firmware ill see what happens, if nothing improves ill move back to the Sagem to see if it still happens.

(my daughter has been in hospital thats why i have not done anything up to press, sorting it out hasnt been at the front of my mind)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just put the clalirty faceplate on, connection speed is identical to the ADSL Nation one (no surprise) and with routerstats on i can see my noise margin has dropped by 2db in the last 20 minutes.

The errors in this time are:

UAS: 0 0
      LOS: 0 0
      LOF: 0 0
      Since Link time = 19 min 37 sec
      FEC: 2304 17
      CRC: 2 3
      ES: 1 0
      SES: 0 0
      UAS: 0 0
      LOS: 0 0
      LOF: 0 0

Not exactly major trauma on the errors side then.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast