Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adding a second Router/extending Wireless coverage...

This is a discussion on Adding a second Router/extending Wireless coverage... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Is it possible to add a second Router to the Sky Modem Router to boost Wireless coverage? I've been having ...

soneman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Adding a second Router/extending Wireless coverage...

Is it possible to add a second Router to the Sky Modem Router to boost Wireless coverage?

I've been having signal strength problems with the Sagem Sky Router particularly at the back of my house so was thinking of buying a second Router (Cable Router) to use as a Wireless Access Point to try to boost the Wireless strength in my house.

I wanted to use the Sagem Sky Modem Router as a Modem only and try to get a Cable Router to piggyback the WAN IP Address coming from the Sagem Sky Modem Router. Then I was hoping that the Cable Router would deal with things such as the DHCP Server and Wireless interface.

Can it be successfully configured this way?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Adding a second Router/extending Wireless coverage...

It should be possible.

Basically connect the Cable router to your PC/Laptop, preferably with a cable, not through your Sky router. Now go into the Cable router setup and configure along the following lines (this assumes that your sky Router is set to the default settings):

1. Change the IP address of the Cable router to 192.168.0.250

2. You'll need to save these settings & reset the router.

3. Go back into the cable router (remember the new address!) and change the default DMZ Server to 192.168.0.1 . Save the settings & reboot the router.

4. Now connect the cable router to your Sky router & reset your connection to the router (i.e. pull the cable out.

5. To check it all works, it you connect to your cable router, you should now be able to access the Internet.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

soneman (29-01-11)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

With the Sky routers the only way you can get them to act as a modem only is to use the DMZ of the Sky router to connect the second router. If you only want the 2nd router to use its wireless capabilities, give it an address in the same range as the Sky router (192.168.0.254) and turn off its DHCP server. Connect it to the Sky router using an ethernet port, not the WAN port, and check that it is being detected by the Sky router by checking the Attached Devices list. Reboot the PC you want to connect and search for its wireless signal.

It often helps if you Disable the wireless in the Sky router and also disable the security in the 2nd router until everything is up and running.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

soneman (29-01-11)

pybe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SDSFRD
      Thanks

I would just buy a wireless access point.....

Run an ethernet cable some where you to to extend the wifi reach, set up the new AP to have the same ssid and pw as your sky router and you good to go.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

wireless briding is awkward and all the times I used it improved signal strength but had rotten actual throughput.

You can use the 2nd router as an access point though, which is what I do on my home network.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

soneman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I followed the instructions posted by Scubbie and Isitme which seems to have done the trick.

I connected the Cable Router directly to my Laptop and disabled the DHCP Server then set the Cable Routerís IP Address to 192.168.0.250. Then applied the changes and restarted the Cable Router. Then I set the Default DMZ Server to 192.168.0.1 in the Cable Router. Again, applied the changes and restarted the Cable Router. Then physically connected the Cable Router to the Sky Router via Ethernet and that was it.

Now I get an internet connection via Ethernet and Wi-Fi on the Cable Router in addition to the Sky Router and Iím not breaking Skyís terms and conditions.

This setup seems to work with Netgear Routers. Iíve tried the WNR1000, DGN1000, DG834G v3 and I managed to get them all working as a second Router to piggyback the internet connection from the Sky Router.

Time will tell though as to how reliable the wireless is with this setup. It seems to be working at the moment but Iím not holding my breath. At least I know now that I can do something to increase the Wireless coverage in my house with my existing equipment but without breaking Sky's terms and conditions.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Well done!

If you wanted to get all of some of the others all working at the same time, in different places, then just give them each a different IP address.

I suggested 192.168.0.250 as it was at the higher end of the list for the Sky router. Routers will normally assign IPs from the lower end of the available table (i.e. .1, .2, etc.).

From experience, assigning .254 or .255 is not a good idea as occasionally other items can clash.

So if you were to assign .249 to the next one & work down from there, all would be fine (i.e. 192.168.0.249).

I'd also suggest that you make a written note of which IP address is assigned to each router. Just in case you wish to play about at a later date.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

aledw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bangor WNBG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the second router info, my old Edimax now now supplies WiFi (UMA) to my Blackberry - great fix!

NickS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Seethelight FTTH
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

All I did when the wireless died on my Sky router was to connect the Sky router to the WAN port of a cable router (N+) and it works! I know there are potential conflicts but I've been using this set up for more than a year and until now no issues.

irvsax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 447595542279
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thank you for the advice on here. I couple of questions. You mention 'Go back into the cable router (remember the new address!) and change the default DMZ Server to 192.168.0.1 . Save the settings & reboot the router.

I cant find an option for this on my new router at all. Also, in another thread it mentions plugging the Sky modem into the Ethernet port and not the WAN port. Sorry for the stupidity, but is this a standard port you wouldnormally use for taking feeds OUT of? I have 4 of these and one port labelled 'internet'. Plugging into the one labelled 'internet' does not seem to work at all.

The router i am adding to the sky router is a D-Link DIR-655, and i want to improve the wireless signal throughout the house.

Thanks

Irving

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast