Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PPPoA to MER?

This is a discussion on PPPoA to MER? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all. I've searched the site but can't find any existing posts pertaining to this, apologies if I didn't look ...

Raveologist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norwich City
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

PPPoA to MER?

Hi all.

I've searched the site but can't find any existing posts pertaining to this, apologies if I didn't look hard enough.

I'm on Max/Unlimited or whatever they call it now, with the Sagem router. I've always synced at between 18000 and 19000 kbps but recently I've noticed that my sync speeds have dropped to around 17000 kbps. No biggie I thought, its not like the lost speed will have any noticeable effect on my day to day internet use. My average ping has also gone from 28 to 38ms. Again not a huge issue.

However this morning whilst fiddling with some port forward settings for a new network device I noticed that the Router Status page says:

"Network Type: MER"

I'm pretty sure that previously it had always been on PPPoA, and I definitely haven't made any config changes in the past several months. I've googled it but most of what I find goes straight over my head. Essentially, could someone tell me what MER is, why I seem to suddenly be using it, and whether it could be related to my drop in stats?

Many thanks in advance
      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro : Sync 80000/20000

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thanks

Re: PPPoA to MER?

That does indeed explain whats going on, thanks very much. I'm now left wondering if I should use the reset to try and get PPPoA back. Am I right in thinking doing this would wipe all my settings?

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Raveologist
      Hi the settings revert to factory settings what you could do is How to get your router statistics then copy and paste to your next post and then reset so you have your stats recorded before the reset

Thanks

Thats a good idea and I will probably do that, however what I meant is that I have a lot of port forwarding, IP reservation etc settings and it will be a pain to have to redo them all, especially given the buggy nature of assigning static IP's on the 2.6 firmware.

I will monitor my connection for a few days just to be sure that this MER thing is causing my issues, if so i'll do the reset and report back.

Thanks for your help mate.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You may find that simply resetting your router will not put you back on PPPoA, it may also require a change at Skys end. The user was instructed to do this by Sky, who may have made a change at their end.

Before you do anything you should back up your settings, in fact everyone should have a backup of their settings if they have made configuration changes. You will find the link to do this on the Router Status page. Just save CFG file to your Desktop or a folder where you can find them easily if you need them. Do this and you can reset your router without the worry of loosing a lot of settings, they are very easily put back..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

shakey1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: New Brancepeth NENP
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Been told that its because sky are moving the network great i asked if i would get the same speed i had before they had mucked it up he said "i dont know ring back tomorrow " surely moving servers counts as a "change in service" users should of been emailed to say that rhis was going to happen and they might not get the same speed as they had when they signed up thefore it isnit the same service you should be able to cancel in contract without penalty to the user or bill payer !!

my speed was around 7mb now i only get 4mb not good sky

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

If you would like to start a new thread & post your stats, there may be something else other than MER causing you speed to slow.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

miamigo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01782
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Mine has changed to MER in the last couple of days, although my speed has held up, my connection has started dropping out every 30 seconds or so, but I think thast due to the current thunderstorm here.

As someone who gets a less than 4meg, I can only say i'm very envious of those who get much higher.

We use MER readings at work to check the quality of digital channels carrying television pictues, the higher the MER the better the picture quality, I dont however know what this MER is.

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

MER is "MAC Encapsulated Routing". It uses the MAC address of the router, rather than a username/password combo to allow it onto the Sky network.

Moving to MER from PPPoA, could be seen by some as one step to preventing non-Sky routers being used on their network!

(Although MAC address spoofing may still work).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pengwern For This Useful Post:

RJM (10-05-11)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast