Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

New Sky Router - D-Link DSL-2640S

This is a discussion on New Sky Router - D-Link DSL-2640S within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; deleted....

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: New Sky Router - D-Link DSL-2640S

deleted.
      Last edited by skypaulusplus; 08-10-10 at 08:58 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

the router info is saved against your account when sent out,
      I don't think so. A pile of routers are scanned into the database then sent out to users. When the router is connected to Sky's server, the username then shows on the account. I don't really know if a permanent record of the first router connected stays on your account or not. I don't think it does, or you would not be able to log in with a router which had not been issued to you. Which it has been proved, you can do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

deleted
      Last edited by skypaulusplus; 08-10-10 at 08:57 PM.

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joe1234 View Post
      If you save the configuration of the D-Link 2640S router and then give it the .xml extension, you can view it in IE.

Amongst the various tags there is:

<X_BROADCOM_COM_LoginCfg>
      <AdminPassword>*******</AdminPassword>
      </X_BROADCOM_COM_LoginCfg>

where ******* = plain text password consisting of 8 letters/characters/numbers

Whatever this password is, it is clearly not the default 'sky' password which is used to access the configuration page.

I wonder if it could be the password for the connection settings:

Username: MAC@skydsl
      Password: ********

Since I haven't been activated yet, I can't try it - but if anyone does I would recommend also spoofing the MAC if your alternate router supports that.

If anyone tries this, I for one would be interested in knowing the result.
      I have this same router and I will try entering my details from the saved configuration file after changing the extension to xml, into my shop bought Netgear DG834GT. I'll try if I get a chance, sometime tomorrow.

Vini is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLMOS
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just hooked my Sagem up from my old account, works fine. Back on my Draytek using my old account info.

That account is still live til 19th Sept, so we'll see

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tal71 View Post
      I have this same router and I will try entering my details from the saved configuration file after changing the extension to xml, into my shop bought Netgear DG834GT. I'll try if I get a chance, sometime tomorrow.
      If you were to save a configuration file, change the router's admin password then save a second configuration file, I'd expect the value to be different, which would confirm it is just the router's admin password.

The V2 and onwards sky routers use an algorithm to generate the ADSL password from the router's LAN MAC address (and possibly other factory set values) every time they connect. The password itself is not stored in the router to make them more difficult to hack than the V1 router.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      If you were to save a configuration file, change the router's admin password then save a second configuration file, I'd expect the value to be different, which would confirm it is just the router's admin password
      I have saved a configuration file for the second time, and I can confirm that the password mentioned is EXACTLY the same has the first one I saved.

I might have a go after at entering the password into my shop bought DG834GT.

For routers that have been cracked, i.e. Netgear, Sagem. Is the username, the MAC details off of the sticker on the router with @skydsl

Are there any other settings that need to be altered when using your own router. Its just I want to make sure I have all the details/connection type correct, just in case this password would work.

Thanks in advance.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joe1234 View Post
      If you save the configuration of the D-Link 2640S router and then give it the .xml extension, you can view it in IE.

Amongst the various tags there is:

<X_BROADCOM_COM_LoginCfg>
      <AdminPassword>*******</AdminPassword>
      </X_BROADCOM_COM_LoginCfg>

where ******* = plain text password consisting of 8 letters/characters/numbers

Whatever this password is, it is clearly not the default 'sky' password which is used to access the configuration page.

I wonder if it could be the password for the connection settings:

Username: MAC@skydsl
      Password: ********

Since I haven't been activated yet, I can't try it - but if anyone does I would recommend also spoofing the MAC if your alternate router supports that.

If anyone tries this, I for one would be interested in knowing the result.
      I tried what you mentioned but it doesn't appear to work

I also tried altering these settings to see if it would work, but still no joy.

It was worth a try

Protocol/Encapsulation :- PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
      Multiplexing method: VC-BASED or VC-Mux
      (On some routers the above 2 settings may be combined as "PPPoA VC-Mux".)
      VPI = 0
      VCI = 38
      DSL Standard: G.dmt

pilch2k is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bar hill
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Hi guys i have a 2640s router from sky on their connect package. Wanting to get my login details so i can use my own router as im having issues with this one.

My main problem is connecting to astraweb with newsbin (works fine on my friends wifi in the same location (same exchange, non LLU) so i know it works fine). When connected on my sky account i just get server timeouts so im assuming its a setting on the router - as other people on sky connect dont have issues downloading via newsgroups so they are not shaping traffic (in my case cutting it off completely).

I have emailed sky but they are unable to assist only suggesting that i configure port forwarding etc which i have done without success - they then suggested that i look to online solutions for my problem. I asked where online to look and i got this reply:

We are unable to direct you to a specific source regarding the configuration of newsgroups. Please use a search engine to locate information on this matter.

We have noticed on your Sky account, that the unique reference details from your Sky Broadband Box are missing.

On the underside of your Sky Broadband Box you will see 2 barcodes, one labelled MAC and the other Serial Number.

We would appreciate it if you could note down these numbers and reply to this email with this information.

Or alternatively give this information to a Customer Advisor the next time you call Technical Support.

We use these codes to fully register any technical assistance you require from us, and issue any Case IDís required.

Now this made me wonder - shouldn't they already have these details if they are used to create my login and password for the internet connection? Also isn't every router paired to the customers account before they are sent out?

pilch2k.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It should be paired to your account but it's possible it got missed. The usernames and passwords are put onto skys system long before the customer receives the router though.
      As for your newsgroup problem I doubt that a new router will solve it, more likely it's the old DNS issue - change your DNS settings in windows to use OpenDNS and try again.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast