Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Results 21 to 28 of 28

    DG834GT (the white one) Router, "Block Sites", feature, does not seem to be working??

    This is a discussion on DG834GT (the white one) Router, "Block Sites", feature, does not seem to be working?? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/polls...es-router.html...

    1. #21
      Isitme's Avatar
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Dec 2006
      Location
      Central Scotland
      Posts
      34,256
      Thanks
      65
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

      Re: DG834GT (the white one) Router, "Block Sites", feature, does not seem to be worki


      TomD


      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.


      Useful Utilites

      https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

      Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.






    2. Advertisement
    3. #22
      mrplatypus's Avatar
      mrplatypus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Forge Way, Cwmbran
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Cwmbran
      Posts
      31
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: DG834GT (the white one) Router, "Block Sites", feature, does not seem to be worki

      As an update, I have also set my router to log only those attempts to blocked sites;

      I added various combinations one at a time (google, *google*, *.google.*, *.google.*.*) to try and block access to google.

      After each iteration and ensuring that I had applied the change to the router,I fired up a seperate internet explorer window passing in "http://www.google.co.uk" as a parameter.

      Then I went back to the Logs area - there weren't any entries in it ..
      So it proves that there is an issue with my router as it did not log this activity ..

      Regards

      mrPlatypus

    4. #23
      DruidsNectar's Avatar
      DruidsNectar is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Aug 2013
      Posts
      3
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: DG834GT (the white one) Router, "Block Sites", feature, does not seem to be working??

      I know this thread is pretty old - okay ancient - but I stumbled across it because I was having the same problem with the Sky Hub SR101. I thought I'd post my findings in case anyone else should stumble by here with the same problem.

      I set a keyword to block, and when I came to test it the next day, it didn't seem to work. What I've found is if the browser has previously been used to access a site with the blocked keyword, it will still be able to access it, because there is a cached page in the browser's history. Clearing your internet cache should therefore reflect your blocked settings.

      Better still, use the browser's incognito/privacy mode to test blocked keywords, as incognito/private mode does not use a local cache of pages (it doesn't create one), and therefore always goes to the internet to request new copies of the page, by which it has to go via the router first.

    5. #24
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      28,201
      Thanks
      844
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

      Re: DG834GT (the white one) Router, "Block Sites", feature, does not seem to be working??

      The Sky Hub SR101 is a little different from the router discussed in this thread, Could I suggest that you give the article bleow aread and see if this helps first?

      Blocking specific sites (Why, How, limitations)

      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

    6. #25
      DruidsNectar's Avatar
      DruidsNectar is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Aug 2013
      Posts
      3
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: DG834GT (the white one) Router, "Block Sites", feature, does not seem to be working??

      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The Sky Hub SR101 is a little different from the router discussed in this thread, Could I suggest that you give the article bleow aread and see if this helps first?

      Blocking specific sites (Why, How, limitations)

      See if what helps? I've explained what the problem is, and how to overcome it. Could I suggest that you re-read my post, and understand what I have written first, before posting pointless replies.

      I was trying to help, but my very first post of is met with a moderator full of their own self-importance. I'll not bother with this site in future - waste of time.

    7. #26
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      28,201
      Thanks
      844
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

      Re: DG834GT (the white one) Router, "Block Sites", feature, does not seem to be working??

      Yes I did read your post. I also read the bit in your profile which says that you have a Sky Hub SR101, not a Netgear DG834GT.

      My response was not pointless. It dirrected you to a specific item which goes through the specific details on how to set up the Sky Hub SR101 to block content.

      If I were to post every possible action in one single post you would become completely lost, miss something important and resolve the issue.

      Now assuming that you have read through the article, my next step would be to ask what you are intending to block and what keyword/s you are using to block it.

      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

    8. #27
      DruidsNectar's Avatar
      DruidsNectar is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Aug 2013
      Posts
      3
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: DG834GT (the white one) Router, "Block Sites", feature, does not seem to be working??

      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Yes I did read your post. I also read the bit in your profile which says that you have a Sky Hub SR101, not a Netgear DG834GT.

      My response was not pointless. It dirrected you to a specific item which goes through the specific details on how to set up the Sky Hub SR101 to block content.
      See, your over-inflated ego and self-importance is blinding you, you're of the belief that any new person to these forums can't possibly know anything, and therefore must have your help.

      If you had read my first post, and subsequently my second post, you'd know I was offering help, not asking for help. I don't need to know how to set my router up for blocked content, it's working fine. So yes, your response was pointless.


      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If I were to post every possible action in one single post you would become completely lost, miss something important and resolve the issue.
      You don't have to post every possible action, but you do have to read carefully and pay attention to details, especially those where someone is offering advice and not asking for advice. And no, I'm not completely lost, because I'm paying attention to what is written​.


      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Now assuming that you have read through the article, my next step would be to ask what you are intending to block and what keyword/s you are using to block it.
      Now assuming that you have read through the above details, my next steps are explain it in simple terms why you are wrong to assume it's hardware specific.


      1. Although it is possible the problem it is hardware specific, there is nothing conclusive in the entire thread that suggests it is hardware specific. In fact other users go on to say they suffer the problem, and others it works for some keywords and not other keywords.
      2. At one point the OP turned on logging for blocked connection attempts and nothing was logged.
      3. At no point in the entire thread did anyone suggest clearing the internet cache, or trying incognito/private mode browsing (which doesn't use the local cache).

      Now, lets look at the steps a PC takes to get web page.

      1. User launches browser
      2. User types something into the browser
      3. Browser checks local cache to see if it is there, and recent.
      4a. If cache is recent browser loads that and checks with the website to see if anything has changed since the cache
      4b. If the cache is old, the browser requests a new page.
      5. During the request of a page, the PC queries it's local gateway, which is more than likely the router.
      6. The router analyses the request and checks it against the list of rules, blocked sites, keywords, and firewall rules.
      7a. If the router finds a match to one of its rules it blocks the connection, displaying the appropriate error page.
      7b. If the router doesn't find a match to its rules, it allows the traffic from the browser through.


      Most home routers and browsers will work in a similar fashion, and given there is so little information about the problem it's plain foolish to assume it's only affecting one specific model.

      As the the OP was not seeing any logged attempts to access blocked pages suggests their browser was not asking the router for a page from the web, and was therefore loading it from the local cache. Without the OP available to test, it difficult to further conclude if this is the solution. However if someone else should be unfortunate enough to stumble across these unfriendly forums, they now have something else to consider (despite your best efforts to discount it).

    9. #28
      Saturday's Avatar
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      6,091
      Thanks
      20
      Thanked 53 Times in 48 Posts

      Re: DG834GT (the white one) Router, "Block Sites", feature, does not seem to be working??

      Quote Originally Posted by DruidsNectar View Post
      I'll not bother with this site in future - waste of time.
      That's fine by me.

      Did you really need to have a go at someone just trying to be helpful? A polite "you've missed my point" would have been far more reasonable.

      Seems to me that your two patronising and condescending posts are just trolling, which is unwelcome.

      Goodbye
      Last edited by Saturday; 20-08-13 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Addition

     

     
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2020. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION