Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Router Intrusion?

This is a discussion on Router Intrusion? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; If the router is building up a lot of errors due to interference or noise on the line then this ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Router Intrusion?

If the router is building up a lot of errors due to interference or noise on the line then this could cause it to reboot or hang requiring a reset.

This will happen even more with downloading as there is more data being sent that is corrupted.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

And video senders work on the same 2.4 GHz bandwidth as wi-fi, as one of my neighbours routers is interferring with my video sender to the kitchen.

(and no I can't change channel as I get interferremce on all channels with the video sender, the one I use is the least rubbish)

don't forget wi-fi is just one of many types of device that use this range of frequencies, door bells, video senders, even my central heating uses 2 channels, one for the thermostat and one to talk to the boiler from the control panel.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

merrydown is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121427
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I know, unfortunately though, I was wrong it isn't the wireless as the problem occurs even when the wireless access point is turned off. As predicted, Sky say it isn't the line that's to blame and I have tested from the master socket with exactly the same problems and stats, so I know that it isn't anything beyond that point which is to blame either

rsvman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      If the router is building up a lot of errors due to interference or noise on the line then this could cause it to reboot or hang requiring a reset.

This will happen even more with downloading as there is more data being sent that is corrupted.
      This has just started to happen to me.. the sagem router hangs. i cant ping it from the wired pc or connect via browser and i have to hard reset it every time.
      Its worse when downloading etc.... i had a bt engineer come and clean up the cables etc as my bandwidth dropped from 3.8 to 1.2 .. now its back upto 3.6 .. but now the sagem hangs more often..

I have changed this to a spare sagem router and am now trying the same senarios to see if it hangs.. i have also setup syslog server on my wired pc and setthe router to output every incident to tray and capture what/when the router hangs..

How can i see the errors/interferance that you mention in the logs.. etc

merrydown is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121427
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

In case it is of use to you here's the solution to my issue:

I had entered some domains and keywords (poker,pkr.com,888.com) into the keyword blocking facility of the router. I removed the keywords I had entered and turned the facility off. While I was at it, I also turned off the 'ping from wan' feature which seems to have been turned on by default and may offer a security hole. The problem disappeared.

I took this course of action after having installed a program called kiwi syslog server which has a 30 day trial which seemed like a good bet. I directed my router to send all info to the syslog server at my machine's ip. I saw that as well as the intrusion attempts which I was seeing in the router (I am still getting one every 30 seconds) I got a whole stream of 'url_block matched' warnings probably 1 per second. I should add at this point that the only web-page I had open was you tube with no adverts showing... I looked in security at the blocked keywords I had put in and turned the facility off as mentioned above. The warning messages stopped and suddenly I was able to download files without the line dropping!

I left the domain/keyword blocking facility off the problem did not occur again. It seems the keyword/domain blocking facility of the sagem router it is badly implemented and buggy.

I hope this is useful to someone else...

rsvman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It don't think i have implemented that filter block, but will check and also verify if ping from wan is disabled.

I swapped routers last night and it seems stable at the moment , but will try downloading some big files tonight and get some wireless activity as well..

What i was wondering is how to look/measure this "errors due to interference or noise on the line" i know i can check the connection status.. but i 'm not sure what db levels etc are acceptable...

RobNick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Smile Re: Router Intrusion?

I also got a lot of these messages. I did some research and eventually disabled the IGMP setting in the WAN setup. Apparantly it is used to establish multi-cast group memberships and your router will listen and respond to such messages....that's my simple interpretation.

It's been turned off now for about 15 minutes....and not a sign of an intrusion message....and as you can see, my internet access appears to be OK......so suck it and see!

Ashley Cardwell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanfaethlu
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect 17pm - CRAP
      Sky TV: Basic & +
      Thanks

I Wouldn't suggest digging up old threads, but it may be possible that you have malware, and when the malware server tries to connect to the pc, the firewall on the router blocks it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123