Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sagem router and VPN

This is a discussion on Sagem router and VPN within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Just switched from Virgin to Sky and received a sagem router which installed fine but I cannot get VPN (using ...

markkus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Sagem router and VPN

Just switched from Virgin to Sky and received a sagem router which installed fine but I cannot get VPN (using Nortel Contivity client) to work. After noticing similar comments on other posts I called Sky and they acknowledged that the Router would not allow VPN but said that is not their problem because "we only support domestic internet browsing and VPN access is classed as a business use"!! They also refused to send a Netgear router ("we do not supply them anymore")

Has anyone found a solution to this?

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sagem router and VPN

I don't use Nortel VPN and I don't have a Sagem router, so it's probably not a good idea to take this post as a definitive answer, but I did look at the Nortel VPN documentation and I reckon there might be a way to do this.

Basically to get VPN working through an ADSL router, either the router has to support "VPN pass-through" or the VPN system has to support "NAT traversal". The Sagem router, unlike the Netgear ones, does not support VPN pass-through, so NAT traversal needs to be enabled. In the case of the Nortel VPN system, this has to be done at the server end, so you need to speak to the IT people at work about enabling NAT traversal.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

and there is a netgear V2, but there's no option to chose which one gets sent out unfortunately...

and they're right about not supporting it - it is usually business use and Sky BB is a consumer service...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am told that our VPN does support "NAT Traversal", but still does not work - although I think the person I asked was not exactly sure - so will need to ask again.

As to Sky being 'right' not to support me accessing my email from home - I don't see the Post Office refusing to deliver letters from my company to me at home just because I have not paid for a 'business service" and BT (or Sky for that matter) do not stop me telephoning my office because I have a consumer service!

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I don't see the Post Office refusing to deliver letters from my company to me at home just because I have not paid for a 'business service"
      post is the same charge for business or home (thats not totaly true, business can get a reduced cost due to volume and mailsort)

and i'm pretty sure BT do Business packages for bb (which are more expensive, but do get better support)

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markkus View Post
      I am told that our VPN does support "NAT Traversal", but still does not work - although I think the person I asked was not exactly sure - so will need to ask again.
      Ah yes, it's definitely supported, but is it switched on? It's switched off by default.

As to Sky being 'right' not to support me accessing my email from home - I don't see the Post Office refusing to deliver letters from my company to me at home just because I have not paid for a 'business service" and BT (or Sky for that matter) do not stop me telephoning my office because I have a consumer service!
      Well, there is a clause in the Sky Broadband Terms and Conditions that indicates that Sky Broadband is for domestic use only.

What's not clear though is whether working from home is business or domestic use. The point about BT is a good one. If I were running a business from home, I'm sure BT would be a bit miffed about me having a residential connection, but just phoning into my fixed place of work would be regarded as residential use.

Car insurance is the same. If I were a travelling salesman, a plumber or a builder, my insurance company would require me to take out commercial cover. If I used my car to commute to and from work, and occasionally use the car to visit customers, they would insist on me taking out business cover. But if I use my car just for commuting to and from a fixed place of work, then domestic cover is sufficient - and they state that point explicitly.

My personal feeling is that working from home, VPN'ing into your fixed place of work is domestic use, and so that's allowed. But running a business from your home using Sky Broadband for your Internet connectivity wouldn't be allowed. Although I'm not in any particular hurry to seek clarification on this point in case they disagree with me.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks James - I will check.

I also agree with your position - that is my point.

Alternative solution - any chance of getting username & password from Sky so I can use an alternative router of my own?

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

A clear set of definitions need to be made about what constitues domestic use.

James's anaolgy of car insurance is interesting as we are on Pay-as-you drive insurance and my god they have not just got a couple of terms such as business and domestic, they have very strict and well defined clauses on what you can and can't do.

This week my wife started a new job and she had to phone up and say that she would be driving the 3 miles to work and parking in the works car park, a quick check showed that the present cover wasn't enough and a new status code of driving to work - under 5 miles, has been added and bunged up the premium 6/month.

Now considering that even the government itself is trying to get more and more civil servants to be based at home, isn't it time for ISP's to start charging accordingly and rather than just having domestic and commercial start having Working from home packages?

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

^^^ Shhhh! If Sky were to clarify things then I'm pretty sure I'd end up having to pay more, so please, no rocking of the boat, I'm happy with the vague status quo.

Alternative solution - any chance of getting username & password from Sky so I can use an alternative router of my own?
      Sky won't give out that information, and as yet, no-one has cracked the Sagem router to get the username and password out.

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Some of the analgies and excuses used here are odd to me.

It's a very clear situation. The vast vast majority of routers support IPSEC/LLTP tunneling etc (what VPN requires).
      The old Sky V1 router did, as well as the new Netgear router.
      The Sagem router doesnt.

This has nothing to do with the network supporting this protocol or not and everything to do with a piece of hardware not performing in the same way as other , available , and supposedly identifical hardware from Sky.

What's next that's not going to be supported. Port Forwarding perhaps.
      If this lame excuse is readilly accepted by the people who do want to use VPN, then Sky will continue to throw lame excuses at us for anything that doesnt work.

I for one will be ringing cancellations (only been connected a few weeks) and telling them to cancel , give me my user + pass for a router that does support VPN or a Netgear router.

I suggest everybody else does the same.

Slim

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast