Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sagem router and VPN

This is a discussion on Sagem router and VPN within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I had the same issues with the Sagem, could not get the Nortel Contivity client to work at all - ...

Boomint is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sagem router and VPN

I had the same issues with the Sagem, could not get the Nortel Contivity client to work at all - even with lap-top in DMZ.

My solution was to grab a V2 Netgear from eBay for 11 Works a treat by just enabling IPSEC LT2P etc.

Also used James67's firmware hack for it and now have uname and pwd to be able to use my existing linksys, if I should ever need to.

2. Advertisement
      nev308 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I Have exactly the same problem ... same router, same VPN and I'm seriously fed up with Sky. They left me off air for a week when I switched over because the router they sent me was apparently 'not registered on their system'. Does anybody know if I can swap the router for one of my own?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You can look here.

Although I do urge you to read the disclaimers carefully before considering using your own router with the information obtained from that web page.

Using a non-Sky router is against Sky's terms and conditions, and may get you booted off their network if you are discovered. And whatever you do, DON'T leave your own router plugged in if you phone up Customer Support and DEFINITELY DO NOT ask Customer Support for help setting your own router up.

My advice is to see if there's a workaround for your problem. Some VPN clients have an option to use "NAT-traversal" which should let you use the Sagem router. Or you could try calling Sky Customer Service and asking if they can send you a Netgear router. Depending on who you speak to, you my get lucky that way.

ajwhalley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01282
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi All,

don't know if this helps anyone. I have a sagem router and run CheckPoint Secure Client VPN (IP-SEC).

In order to get this working, when adding the Inbound rules to the router's firewall, I added my office's firewall IP address into the LAN address on the firewall rules.

Works for me!!

shimmy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01344
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My solution was to grab a V2 Netgear from eBay for 11 Works a treat by just enabling IPSEC LT2P etc.

Also used James67's firmware hack for it and now have uname and pwd to be able to use my existing linksys, if I should ever need to.
      Hi, I am hoping someone on here can help me!! Please!!

I have just had sky BB installed (about a month and a half ago) and I was sent a Sagem router which means I can't connect to my works VPN client to work from home (which I have to do once a week cos of childcare).

Sky have said as the have to everyone else on here that they can't help me as the don't support VPN, domestic use only. This is fine, even though the lady I spoke to at Sky admitted she was currently working at home dialling into Sky via the company VPN!

I have been given a netgear router by a colleague of mine who got sent 3 by mistake and also have one that was bought on ebay. I have connected these up to my laptop and can't get either to work, I'm guessing there's something I need to do to activate them for my BB??

Can anyone help please and explain for me in very simple terms (I'm not a techy at all!) so I can get it sorted ASAP??

Thanks so much for reading, hope someone can help!!

H
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 11-06-08 at 07:40 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I'm guessing there's something I need to do to activate them for my BB??
      They should just work if they are Sky branded and have the Sky FW on them. Unless of course Sky have started deleting the username and passwords of the spare routers.

We have been told unofficially that the new FW for the Sagem routers resolves the VPN problem, so although Sky do not support VPN, at least they are having a go at fixing it for those that need to use it.

No timeline for release though.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

tav
      tav is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, I fall into the camp of needing to use Nortel VPN and having a sagem router, have bought netgear router through ebay but it doesn't want to connect. Wonder if there have been any more unofficial comments on the new sagem firmware and how it can be updated in an existing box - sorry I'm not too techy!

Cheers

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Here is a tutorial on connecting to a Nortel VNP using the Netgear, it may be of some help.

If you have bought the Sky router from eBay it probably needs the new firmware which you can find here-
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-n...ware-here.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fatoldhippy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Sagem router and VPN

I've been looking into this on behalf of some colleagues - I support a Nortel VPN gateway.

We use NAT Traversal. Since the Cisco NAT traversal works (although Nortel and Cisco work subtly differently) I don't think NAT traversal is directly the issue, at least not for us. You do need it enabled but there is an additional problem on the Sagem which evidently isn't fixed by putting your VPN client in the DMZ.

I don't have a Sagem to work with so my information is second hand. Given the error messages my users see, it seems that Nortel is not even getting to NAT traversal stage in the connection flow. I think it gets no response to its initial IKE Aggressive Mode packet. Either that packet isn't getting out of the Sagem to Internet or it isn't getting back in. Waiting to get client logs from colleagues to verify this.

My current theory:

Nortel VPN client uses UDP port 500 for both source and destination on that first packet.

Cisco VPN client uses a random UDP source port, but a destination of UDP 500 as you would expect.

My theory is that the Sagem has a problem with that source of UDP 500 (or it has a problem with a destination of UDP 500 on the response from the VPN gateway). If this can't be configured around on the Sagem, then the router is fundamentally broken for UDP 500 source ports. I'm looking to confirm this theory - can anyone confirm whether their other working IPSec clients use UDP port 500 as the source on the initial packet sent from the client machine?

If anyone has test results contradicting this hypthesis, let me know, but I I've not seen any evidence against it so far.

If all this is true I need to figure a way to (easily) change the source port used for IKE by the Nortel client until a Sky fix is issued. Looking into this as a way to test the hypothesis anyway.

fatoldhippy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Update:

Nortel say that for VPN client 5_01.103 and above it is possible to tweak a registry setting called "DisableIkePort500Use" and setting this to 1 will cause random source ports.

Need to verify this and try on an affected user (implies a VPN client upgrade for us, so not a 2-minute job when working through a helpdesk). If this resolves the issue will feedback. If not then another theory hits the rocks!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast