Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sagem router and VPN

This is a discussion on Sagem router and VPN within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; So what would happen if you tried to do your Netgear trick on the Sagem?...

barnjp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sagem router and VPN

So what would happen if you tried to do your Netgear trick on the Sagem?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

nothing, as the FW are different...id assume
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      A MIPS core needs MIPS code. I'm not sure what signature you're referring to, but I'm guessing that it's the build system signature, not the target system. So all it's saying is that it was compiled on a x86_64 machine.
      Oh, sorry, yes, OS fingerprint - getting my words muddled. Re x86_64 just ignore my crazy comments (not sure what I was thinking of when I made that comment) - already got my coat and out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by barnjp View Post
      If you mean trying to install the netgear firmware on the Sagem, no chance.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barnjp View Post
      Well, I've been having a look at the firmware for the Sagem F@st, and whilst I was able to mount it on my Linux system, all I could see is the directory structure and not the file contents. Most likely this is because I've botched the squashfs-lzma module, but the worst case scenario is that Sagem have "tweaked" the filesystem layout (and the bootstrap code) to block any attempt to hack their router.

I'll have a more serious look when I finally get my Sagem router.

Actually, there's half a chance that the DG834GT software would actually work on the Sagem router, if it's possible to force the firmware onto it. Though that wouldn't help anyone in trying to get the connection password.

The DG934G code definitely wouldn't work as it uses a completely different ADSL chip, and although they both have MIPS processor cores, they are actually set up with opposite endianness - the DG834GT and Sagem are big endian, and the DG934G is little endian.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Actually, there's half a chance that the DG834GT software would actually work on the Sagem router, if it's possible to force the firmware onto it.
      Half a chance - that much? I reasoned that the ethernet sequence for emergency flash is specific to the NetGear and that the only way would be to wire in a serial port (which in itself should be too difficult - it's easy on the Netgear V1 after all!) However, I guess if the Sagem and the Netgear use the same handshake, it might be possible. Hmmm... interesting...
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

pmctech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,
      Getting back to the VPN issue. My company run the Check Point VPN-1 Secure remote and this works fine. I have no problems connecting to work, only takes a few seconds when I click connect. Unfortunately I do not know the in's and out's of the set-up so won't be able to help there.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sagem router and VPN-info.jpg  

Christof is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Also for what it's worth I have today had my BB Max activated and have spent the day comparing against Virgin 4Mb service and router.

I use a Cisco VPN and also have the Sagem router. This does seem to work for me right now and I suspect that what makes a difference would be down to the point made by 'James 67' at the beginning of this thread... ie. that whilst the Sagem might not support VPN pass-through the Cisco VPN presumably does support NAT traversal.
      I came across another thread somewhere else that pointed to the Cisco client needing "..Transparent Tunneling" enabled and should be using IPSec over "UDP (NAT/PAT)" set as the 'Transport' options.

For those of you using Cisco VPN then try these settings and check if your operations team have the same relevant options enabled at the remote end.

I'd be first to admit I don't fully understand the detailed tech stuff here but hope it helps those on Cisco VPN. Sorry if this doesn't helps others aswell though... Perhaps the real tech guys that have posted on here might have further info for other VPN client connections.

Benje302 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01344
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christof View Post
      I came across another thread somewhere else that pointed to the Cisco client needing "..Transparent Tunneling" enabled and should be using IPSec over "UDP (NAT/PAT)" set as the 'Transport' options.
      Thats was me and just waiting for the live date so I will then confirm that it is all up and working ok.

Keep you posted

Benje302

cm004d8137 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01384
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just come across this problem, I had a netgear router and VPN'd to my company using a Cisco client no problem, had router change cos I complained about bb speed and they sent me a Sagem - no more VPN I did find however that if I placed my PC's IP (given via DHCP from the Sagem) in the DMZ everything worked fine. I realise this is risky but just enable this for a VPN session then disconnect until another solution crops up

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

^^ keep an eye on the forum to see when sky update the firmware for th eV1 routers, then you should be able to plug it back in, update and your away (new firmware should deal with the line much the same as the new routers)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast