Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Help connecting PS3 wirelessly

This is a discussion on Help connecting PS3 wirelessly within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Have you tried changing the channel on the router? The router username is admin and password sky . This is ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Help connecting PS3 wirelessly

Have you tried changing the channel on the router? The router username is admin and password sky. This is no big secret

If you have the GT router, as your profile says, change the mode in the router's Wireless settings from Auto-108mbps to 'g only' Try different channels starting at 13 and work your way down.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Yosarian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02828
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JonMoxon123 View Post
      Had this very same problem and sky broadband support being thier usual waste of time said it was Sony's problem. Wrong prior to using skys router everything worked OK. So it was down to the router but would they listen.
      Finally proved it by moving my router right next to the PS3 and it would connect, however it would not now connect to my PC's Hmmm.
      Once I had managed to convince sky that it was thier problem it was sorted in two minutes.

Log onto the router through IE as follows

username is ****** (sorry I don't want to upset sky)
      password is *** (sorry I don't want to upset sky)

reply with your email and I will tell you

you will see that your channel is set to Auto change this to either 6,11 or 13 whichever works best for you.

I hope this works for you as it did me

Jon
      O.K. Thanks for the thread. Could you please email me the Username and Password at the following email address. Ta.

Rory.

Email: catch_022@sky.com

Thanks again.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

It's not a secret, it's printed on the sticker on the bottom of the router

Username is:- admin
      Password is:- sky

Mr Fiddler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shepherds Bush
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: sky+HD Amstrad
      Thanks

i'm with talktalk and so are a lot of my friends and family and we have never had any trouble connecting our PS3's to the router wirelessly, PS3 wifi is solid,but that said a wired connection is allways a better option,no lag in online games and faster download times

Thanks

It is also in post #11 right above yours

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

clenton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

hi guys i also have had the same prob but now can just about manage a 27% wireless signal from my sagem to my ps3 which is in the next room can a standard wireless router be used to boost the wireless signal or does it have to be a dedicated wireless signal extender??
      thanks....

Thanks

Any wireless router will do, but don't buy one, spend your money on Homeplugs instead. They are far better for gaming and downloading than a wireless connection.
      HomePlug and Powerline - from 19.25 - easy home / office networks Share broadband

TomD

Useful Utilites

andy_l_1975 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I had similair problems with connection as above and was about to move my router nearer as had exactly same problems with Wii. However I tried adding the MAC address of the PS3 to trsuted stations within the Sky Router and everything seems to be working a treat now, tried with Wii and also working fine now.

1. Login to router and go to setup
      2. Next to Wireless Station Action List there is a link 'Setup access list' click this
      3. Get your PS3 MAC address, this is in settings/system information, i also used the name from the settings/system name for good measure
      4. Put this info into the 'Add New Station Manually' area and click add
      5. Now try reconnecting with your PS3

Hope this helps others as was beginning to pull my hair out, and believe me there isn;t much there anyway

chrisrd1981 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leamingtonspaceman View Post
      The PS3 is known to have a flaky wireless connection. Mine is placed between my 360 and Wii and is the only one of the three to have problems over wireless. I've gone over to homeplugs and wired connection and never looked back...a much better solution and better for streaming HD movies to the PS3.

Forget wireless and go for homeplugs is my advice.
      Hi. I am also having alot of troubles with my wireless connection on PS3. It just started last night. It was working fine for a while. I really want to switch to a wired connection. Could you please explain what the best route for that would be. Right now I have a Westell wireless router from Cincinnati Bell. It runs from the other end of the house and is very weak alot of the times. Also if maybe you could tell me the best way to have my wireless setup while I still have it. Im confused about the IP addresses, the DNS and the MTU. I have a WPA. I am new to all of this. Its quite complicated. If you cant help me with the setup its ok, but Id really appreciate it if you could help me get a good wired connection like you mentioned. Your right wireless sucks lol. If had way to many problems with it and this was it. It wont even let me online now. Thank you very much. Have a good one. Chris

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Hi Chris,

It is hard to be specific about which route would be the best for you, as everyone will rule out certain aspects of some of them.

The choices can be put into 2 groups:

1. a pair of HomePlug adaptors
      2. long Ethernet cable

HomePlugs essentially work invisibly by transmitting your LAN signal through your mains wiring. One will connect to your router via an Ethernet cable, then other will have a choice of connections:

• Single LAN port
      • Multiple LAN ports (like a network switch)
      • WiFi g or WiFi n

The downsides with HomePlugs is that you need reasonable electric wiring; they don't work well on Surge Protected extensions; some people worry about the security, but since they aren't visible, it is normally by chance that someone would discover them. HomePlugs don't travel past your local power transformer, but can connect to neighbours homes with the correct settings.

HomePlugs do have a security key to prevent accidental hacking, but not everyone correctly sets them up.

The positive thing about them is that you can easily move them from one location to another.

As for running a long Ethernet cable, again you have multiple choices.

You could run a single CAT 5, 5e or 6 cable from the router to your PS3. You need to be aware that LAN cables do not like sharp bends. Whilst Cat 5 would be sufficient, Cat 5e will support up to a 1Gbit LAN & Cat 6 will support up to a 10Gbit LAN, ensuring that things are fine for the future.

You could run a LAN cable through a socket in the wall. This would hide the majority of the cable from view and keep things discrete.

Ethernet cable can run up to 100m, so long as you do not have any sharp bends in it.

should you need extra network ports at the other end, then a Network Switch can easily be added.

I'll let you Google the costs.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast