Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Andrew1961

Sky Q Network Connection and Sort-Of Fix

This is a discussion on Sky Q Network Connection and Sort-Of Fix within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Like some others on this and other forums, I'm having problems with connecting my Sky Q box to the network ...

Andrew1961 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky ???
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Q Network Connection and Sort-Of Fix

Like some others on this and other forums, I'm having problems with connecting my Sky Q box to the network in my home. The Sky operative who installed the box last week couldn't get it to connect but I told him to leave it - how hard could it be I thought? Very hard, is the answer!

WiFi and Sky broadband work perfectly throughout the house and I had no problems with the old Sky HD box (that was wired in but also worked with wireless). However, the Sky Q box (no other Sky boxes are involved here) will not connect to my Sky router (Sky Broadband Hub) using wired or wireless. I've tried disabling the wireless and connecting the Sky Q box directly into the router. Iíve tried using WPS and manually connecting. Iíve tried using DHCP and manual IP settings. Still no joy. Sometimes it'll appear to connect for a short while (30 seconds or so) and I see it as an attached device in the router admin portal, but it soon drops out.

Then I thought, the common element here is the Sky Router. So, I connected the Sky Q box to a wireless hot spot on my mobile phone. That worked perfectly and appeared to be stable. But this is not a good solution. Next, I tried an external TP-Link Access Point (configured just as an access point) connected to the Sky router but this didnít work, so I configured it as a router. That also works perfectly.

Iím wondering what the difference is, apart from the IP addresses allocated, and why the Sky Q box wonít connect directly to the Sky router when itís very happy connecting indirectly through another router. Maybe it doesnít like the 192.168.1.0/24 network.

It seems that this may be a software issue (following a recent upgrade) but I'll do some more playing later - until the Sky operative comes next week. I'm sure he/she will be able to fix it.
      Meteosat likes this.

2. Advertisement
      cuke2u is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: SkyQ hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ Silver
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q Network Connection and Sort-Of Fix

Just did a self install of a new V3 SkyQ box to my Sky router wirelessly, it connected first time and is stable. What version of the SkyQ box and hub have you got and are you on fttc?

Andrew1961 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky ???
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What version of the SkyQ box and hub have you got and are you on fttc?
      Sky Q box - 1TB V3 Q120.002.13.00L(5587bqs), Hardware version - 32B206
      Router - Sky Hub 5.11.1993.R
      FTTC

I've now tried it with an ASUS router and that also works perfectly - wired and wireless.
      Last edited by Andrew1961; 14-09-20 at 03:37 PM.

cuke2u is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: SkyQ hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ Silver
      Thanks

I purchased a Asus router with Sky once, it filled up with crc errors errors so rapidly I junked it and just used it as an wireless access point. Expensive at £160 and all it did was slow up my connection speeds as DRM thought I had line issues. I don't think Asus ever fixed it https://overclockers.co.uk/forums/th...c68u.18606945/ Not one that could be fixed with the Merlin firmware either...