Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Latest July 2020 upgrade confusion

This is a discussion on Latest July 2020 upgrade confusion within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Like a good number of other users I’m a bit confused by the latest update. Been out for a while ...

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Latest July 2020 upgrade confusion

Like a good number of other users I’m a bit confused by the latest update. Been out for a while but only just got it.
      Amongst other oddities

In recording section. You have to scroll backwards to find the next one in a series, number of recordings that only relates to current series so not a true guide, the delete button may refer not to the last one you watched, strange gui with loads of blank blue above the first title.

The good thing is that under management removing deleted progs now recalculates space after each removal.

Any others find the recording section less easy or straightforward to navigate?

2. Advertisement
      Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Latest July 2020 upgrade confusion

The main problem I'm having is that it has broken my Q's ability to connect to the internet. Tried everything, including turning it's ability to connect via wifi off, and using only ethernet. The only thing that gets me is around 2 minutes of access before it disconnects again. My dad hasn't had this issue, however, his small screen top left as you're browsing through menus has now disappeared for him. Pretty sure they broke something, judging by the number of people complaining on the Sky forums.

cuke2u is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SkyQ hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ Silver
      Thanks

Works fine here with the new firmware and I am sure the thousands that have received it who are happy far outnumber the handful who either have a genuine complaint, or just don't like change.
      Have you tried a hard power off and on again by the way?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
      Works fine here with the new firmware and I am sure the thousands that have received it who are happy far outnumber the handful who either have a genuine complaint, or just don't like change.
      Have you tried a hard power off and on again by the way?
      Yeah .. mine is a genuine problem. I can't complain about a new interface if I can't use it :P

Not sure what a hard power off and on again is .. I did switch it off, unplug it for 20 minutes, then plug it back in but leave for another 15 minutes before i pressed the home button, which I'd seen recommended.

I've also tried connecting via ethernet only to my sky hub, switching off all wifi; via ethernet only to my BT homehub mesh system, switching off all wifi; connecting via wifi (various channels, 2.4 or 5Ghz) to homehub mesh and Sky. Everything works great .. for around 60 seconds. Then it doesn't.

There is a (currently) 51 page thread on the Sky forums of people who have had a similar problem, some from the previous update as well. BT apparently have actually acknowledged there is a problem with their homehub discs with Sky Q boxes since the latest update: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devic...Q/td-p/2078511

Personally, I think you're probably right that it obviously only affects a minority .. there are probably a certain number of Q boxes that just have some particular glitch on them that causes this problem. Because it is pretty obviously a Sky software or hardware problem (or a combination of both).

It just so happens that I'd had connection problems not that long ago, had engineers out who had diagnosed hardware faults and replaced both Q and mini boxes, when it worked great again .. got my Sky Hub and it worked perfectly .. and then the day the update happened .. it all broke. Again. I'm probably just a magnet for these things ...

Obeone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Broadband Fibre 2
      Router: BT Smarthub 1
      Thanks

I have to say I have not experienced any issues with the upgrade and I use BTs white disk mesh system. I also use BT broadband so perhaps this is an issue related to Sky broadband customers rather than a SkyQ issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Obeone View Post
      I have to say I have not experienced any issues with the upgrade and I use BTs white disk mesh system. I also use BT broadband so perhaps this is an issue related to Sky broadband customers rather than a SkyQ issue.
      I think the problems with the white mesh disks only arose if you actually plugged your sky boxes into them using ethernet.

My issue turned out to be something else entirely - apparently when the engineer came and unplugged the ethernet, the sky box was still saying it was trying to connect to ethernet - which he said it shouldn't have done. To be honest I'm not really sure that he knew what he did to fix it - he just said that when the connection was reset on the Q box, it didn't "take" the first time, so had to be done twice. Second time it picked up a connection with no issue and it's been stable ever since.

He suggested that, when I'd switched from one connection to another, ie, from BT to Sky, the box had not "learned" the new connection correctly (despite it being stable until the Q120 update came out 1-2 weeks later). At that point it was just unable to settle on any one connection, so it just kept jumping.

No idea really - but its working again so I'm happy.

Not really impressed with the update itself - it has it's positives, but it just feels like it's overcomplicating stuff just to make it look prettier.