Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Q, power but no picture

This is a discussion on Sky Q, power but no picture within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I had a new Sky Q 2TB box installed just before Christmas. Twice without warning the box has just stopped ...

Sibling Chris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I had a new Sky Q 2TB box installed just before Christmas. Twice without warning the box has just stopped outputting anything on HDMI either picture or sound. The TV reports a problem with there being no input. The standby light goes amber/green and therefore seems to switch off/on with the remote but no output. Only thing that has fixed it has been to unplug the box, but on reboot then my settings seem to get lost (e.g. Loses my Ethernet and reverts to wifi default)

Anyone got a clue what is going on? I have Sky Q mini box multiscreen coming in a couple of weeks (long story don't ask!) so should I call Sky and ask them to replace the main box at the same time?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      ipd56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q, power but no picture

Quote Originally Posted by Sibling Chris View Post
      I had a new Sky Q 2TB box installed just before Christmas. Twice without warning the box has just stopped outputting anything on HDMI either picture or sound. The TV reports a problem with there being no input. The standby light goes amber/green and therefore seems to switch off/on with the remote but no output. Only thing that has fixed it has been to unplug the box, but on reboot then my settings seem to get lost (e.g. Loses my Ethernet and reverts to wifi default)

Anyone got a clue what is going on? I have Sky Q mini box multiscreen coming in a couple of weeks (long story don't ask!) so should I call Sky and ask them to replace the main box at the same time?

Thanks
      Try turning off the power saving off on the sky q box see if that helps

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

What make of TV do you have and does your Q box have an external power supply?
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
      What make of TV do you have and does your Q box have an external power supply?
      Its an LG OLED E7 and i guess i have a v2 Sky Q box as it has the external power supply.

I've set the power saving options to "none". Not had the issue occur since I posted about it but can't say definitively if changing that setting has affected it or not, seeing as it's only happened a couple of times and I don't know how to replicate the issue

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Thanks

There is an issue with a few TVs and the new external power supply stb.

If the issue continues get the older version installed the one without the external supply which works without issues.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to The Realist For This Useful Post:

Sibling Chris (09-01-18)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Think I need to wangle a v1 box. All seemed OK for a week then it happened again two evenings in a row. Can't seem to reset unless my box is totally unplugged from the power.

Thanks

If you book a service call the engineer who visits can arrange for the older type STB to be delivered to him and he can then work commitment wise swop out the box for you.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well engineer is booked for next week. I called Sky via the VIP support number. Interestingly the guy said he'd never heard of this issue before and couldn't really find anything to help him on his support database. He also said he wasn't aware of a v1 and v2 box and seemed a tad confused when I was explaining the power adapter was external to the box. Hmmmmm.

Exchange:
      Thanks

So my box has been replaced and along the way got some interesting info from the engineer

There isn't really a v1 and a v2 box, there are two variations that vary physically but one is not built to replace the other. Apparently Sky have two factories with different capabilities now building the 2tb box, whereas originally one factory did the standard 1tb box and the other the 2tb UHD box, they now do both but work to slightly different design specs. Not sure why exactly but both boxes are current. It's pot luck therefore whether you get the box that is slightly larger then the other with external power supply, or the one that is slightly smaller with internal power supply.

The boxes with internal power supply have hardware version numbers starting 32B0 and the other boxes 32B1

Apparently for the 32B1 with external power supply there is a known issue with some LG TVs in losing the picture which can be intermittent but comes back switching the box on and off. This didn't seem to exactly match my problem, since hard reset was required, but swapping the box the engineer just happened to have a 32B0 so that is what I ended up with

Seems strange to me that the 32B0 is physically smaller but has the power supply integrated. You would think the 32B1 ought to be smaller.

Only time will tell I guess if the box switch has fixed my issue, but I guess there is not sufficient evidence to say it was a problem specifically related to the 32B1

HTH