Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Peculiar connectivity issues on mini-box

This is a discussion on Peculiar connectivity issues on mini-box within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, Had Sky Q for about 11 months now and whilst it's quite good, I do have an annoying issue ...

daveaston is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: mortimer
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Peculiar connectivity issues on mini-box

Hi,

Had Sky Q for about 11 months now and whilst it's quite good, I do have an annoying issue that I can't work out if it's me or the box!

Have Sky Q 2tb in the lounge and a mini-box in another room. Both are connected via my wired home network back to my BT Home Hub 5. Network works perfectly well (have Amazon Fire TV in both rooms as well) but...When we are asking the sky box to record an on-demand programme (such as catch up TV), the mini box always loses connection then it comes back then it goes again....repeat for several hours.

Is this a known issue or have I got a duff box somewhere?

All replies gratefully received as the wife keeps muttering "we never had this problem with the old sky boxes...."

Cheers,

Dave.

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Peculiar connectivity issues on mini-box

sounds like the network cannot handle the download and the link at the same time. can you do a fag packet drawing of how the network is wired?
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

geaves is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: HH5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Peculiar connectivity issues on mini-box

I would agree with @marjohn56 the HH's are not a switch as in the network terms, they're a pile of dodo!! If you are using powerplugs i.e. plugging the Sky Q into the HH then a powerplug into the HH, then the mini into a powerplug, that's the problem.

You need to isolate the HH and the powerplugs with a switch; I have a HH5 my laptop is connected via ethernet to the HH, but I then have an ethernet cable to a switch which then controls the rest of the network. I did have my NAS box connected to the HH only for the HH to decide intermittently to drop my NAS when copying files....only for it re appear on the network. Plugging the NAS into the switch solved the problem.

Upstairs where all my network and office are located I have the HH, network switch and a powerplug the powerplug connects downstairs to a small second switch into which I have my Sky box, Pi3, and a PS4 and they all play nice.

BTW have tried wireless on mini? or even wireless on both.