Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Q interfering with Virgin Broadband

This is a discussion on Sky Q interfering with Virgin Broadband within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I've recently moved house. In the previous house we had Sky Q Silver (ie, the one with the additional minibox), ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Sky Q interfering with Virgin Broadband

I've recently moved house. In the previous house we had Sky Q Silver (ie, the one with the additional minibox), phone and fibre. I rang them before we moved and arranged for the Q to be transferred over, however, they said that where we were moving to did not have fibre enabled and broadband would take between 2 and 9 weeks to be installed. As there was a special offer available with the new house with Virgin, where we got the full package, including 200Mb cable internet, free for three months, and installed within 3 days of moving in, we decided to go down that route.

So the idea was to use Virgin for the broadband and phone, and Sky for the TV. I spoke to Sky and they said there would be no problem with that - the Sky Q box would work perfectly well with the Virgin cable.

Apparently not so.

After a whole raft of problems, including delayed installation by Virgin and engineers so far having been called out 4 times, I am NOT impressed with them. Personally if Sky could offer at least some idea of when fibre was getting enabled in the street, i'd bite the bullet and move back to them like a shot. But that's not the case .. my max broadband speed if I moved back to Sky would be around 6.5Mb.

Anyway .. I've been having problems with the Sky Q. They'd occasionally lose the link between the two boxes (usually overnight), the thumbnails of programmes recorded would show blank, recordings would either not record correctly (breaking up, stuttering, etc) or record twice, and my Virgin router would simply give up and reset, or just stop providing a wifi signal until it was reset.

I've had an engineer out today and he states that there's nothing wrong with the Virgin Hub (the latest version, 3) - although he swapped it out anyway just in case - and that it was a known incompatibility with the Sky Q boxes. He initially stated it was interference, but also stated proximity made no difference (I know there is an interference issue with the Sky Q box because we have a set of wireless headphones that will not work if the base unit for them is too close to the Sky box).

In effect he was recommending that either I ditch Sky and go all-in for Virgin (which isn't going to happen because I really don't like their TV box and I'm not happy with the phone either) or ditch Virgin and go all-in with Sky.

I've checked the broadband in the area, and our postcode (which is a new one .. new build estate) isn't even on the radar at the moment for fibre, according to the Openreach site.

Are there any workarounds to get the Virgin router working properly with Sky Q?

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q interfering with Virgin Broadband

Turn off the Wifi on the 'Q's and use wired connections. If you cannot run cables then user Powerline adaptors, that should solve your problems.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to marjohn56 For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (12-05-17)

ipd56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

I got sky Q silver and 1 mini with virgin 150mb internet and have np , the only difference with the setup is the sky Q silver connect's to the virgin router and the mini connect's to the q silver box with no mesh network so sky box's can't​ be WiFi hotspots

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ipd56 For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (12-05-17)

Thanks

Ah right .. so if I direct cable in, it should work. Is that what "the mini connect's to the q silver box with no mesh network" means? That it's using a cable rather than wifi?

Does that mean that we'd be unable to use the Sky Q app on our tablets? Not that it's a major problem as we don't use it much ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I don't know whether there are any cable routers that would work correctly with Sky Q but assuming there are it is possible to switch the Virgin hub from router to modem only mode.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      Ah right .. so if I direct cable in, it should work. Is that what "the mini connect's to the q silver box with no mesh network" means? That it's using a cable rather than wifi?

Does that mean that we'd be unable to use the Sky Q app on our tablets? Not that it's a major problem as we don't use it much ...
      You can still use the 'Q' App. Direct cable works very well, you're just using the Virgin box for your broadband, wifi etc.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to marjohn56 For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (13-05-17)

Thanks

I just need to find an additional homeplug then. I bought a set of three because the wifi was patchy but despite apparently being good up to 500 MB, they're only seeming to get about 100Mb (not that that's a major problem, as it's still several times faster than my previous fibre speeds ). But if it was the Sky Q causing the wifi to be patchy, perhaps I can replace one of them with a dongle.

ipd56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post

On my virgin setup my sky Q is using WiFi with np

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk