Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By The Realist

Problems caused during Sky Q installation in blocks of flats for other Sky users

This is a discussion on Problems caused during Sky Q installation in blocks of flats for other Sky users within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Recently i noticed a crackling noise on watching Sky TV after a few days it stopped and then I noticed ...

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD DRX890W
      Thanks

Problems caused during Sky Q installation in blocks of flats for other Sky users

Recently i noticed a crackling noise on watching Sky TV after a few days it stopped and then I noticed that programmes I had tried to record on my Sky+ box had failed. This had not happened in recent times (my Sky+ box is from around 2007). I checked the internal cables but could find nothing wrong and then the other day I did a signal test and found that one channel had no signal at all.

Again I checked the cables in the flat and swapped around the two feed cables to the Sky box but this proved that it wasn't a fault in these cables as nothing changed on the signal test. Our factors arranged for the TV repair man to come and look at what was wrong. He confirmed that one channel had no signal at all and that the fault was outside my flat.

He went away to look at the equipment in the stair cupboards and as there are 53 flats in the stair it took him a while but eventually he came back having restored the missing signal to the Sky box. What he found was that there were many loose plugs in the equipment in the stair.

His explanation was that when installing Sky Q to flats in the stair the "engineers" had to loosen plugs to locate the right feed to the flat wanting Sky Q but they were not then tightening all the plugs back to where they were before hence the problems i was having. He explained that Sky don't pay much to Sky Q installers and that this was probably why they were cutting corners during installations.

Today i have phoned the company who did the Sky Q installations here TV Aerial & Sky Dish Installation - Campbell & Kennedy Digital TV and let them know what has gone wrong. What i would also like to do is to email Sky and let them know what i think of this and that existing customers shouldn't have their Sky service interferred with in any way when Sky Q installations are done in blocks of flats but I haven't found an email address to write to as yet. Any suggestions as to who i could write to? Preferably as high up in Sky as i can go!

Apparently there are no labels on the cables in these flats which would make life much easier for future Sky Q installations so every time someone wants Sky Q there could be a similar problem arising. it may well be that this same problem could happen in other blocks of flats which is another reason I wanted to mention this on this forum.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Problems caused during Sky Q installation in blocks of flats for other Sky users

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
      His explanation was that when installing Sky Q to flats in the stair the "engineers" had to loosen plugs to locate the right feed to the flat wanting Sky Q but they were not then tightening all the plugs back to where they were before hence the problems i was having. He explained that Sky don't pay much to Sky Q installers and that this was probably why they were cutting corners during installations.
      Wow! Such a high regard for a different company.

Put simply BS.

It sounds more likely that the dish & distribution system installation is badly labelled and doesn't follow any logical sequence that is obvious to any installer other than perhaps the people who set it up.

By all means contact Sky directly with regards to any potential complaint.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/ho...e-a-complaint/

Excuses of not, the installer should have made the connections secure once the job had been completed. However based on what you've posted, I'd not be taking that guy's word at face value.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

adamjackdrew is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wells
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 4
      Router: BT SmartHub 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Problems caused during Sky Q installation in blocks of flats for other Sky users

Sounds odd that they would have had to mess with the distribution system at all. I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but with a block of flats should they not just need to change the communal dish's LNB to a Hybrid LNB? Unless they needed to upgrade the distribution unit because of noise or bandwidth restrictions then surely they shouldn't have touched it.

Again, probably barking up the wrong tree as I'm no installer or any kind of cable guru - just saying as I see it.

Thanks

Distribution systems use a different setup to what is used in a single occupancy home. The LNB is very different for a start.

Basically the LNB used in a single occupancy home has 4 or 8 ports. Each port works either horizontally or vertically, depending on the channel being viewed or recorded. This is what both Sky+ HD and Freesat STBs use.

With Sky Q the 2 LNB ports are used so that 1 is for vertical channels and the other for horizontal channels. I believe this is similar to a distribution system.

A Hybrid LNB has 2 ports for Sky Q and another 4 ports for Freesat, since you're not supposed to use a Sky+ HD STB any more. Sure some people do, but no longer on an active account.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD DRX890W
      Thanks

Thanks for your comments and sure he might well be exaggerating the number of loose plugs but how else has the feed to my flat been affected, these things don't tend to just go wrong for no reason and I know that there have been Sky Q installations in the stair I live in. This guy told me that his workload has increased substantially since Sky Q became available, initially a lot of customers wanted hooked up and the installers were struggling to keep up with the demand. I don't think this is BS.

Anyway I have lodged two complaints one with the installers Campbell & Kennedy and the second with Sky themselves who gave me an incident number and listened very carefully to what I had to say, whatever the truth something happened to disrupt the feed to my flat and if it was due to Sky Q installations I want to make sure it doesn't keep happening every time there is a new installation...

Thanks

Good to hear that you've lodged a complaint. Sky should deal with it in a professional manner and identify where possible what the cause is.

Yes Sky's installers have had a lot of work to do. Sky Q has helped to make it very busy for them. I'm not sure how they've specifically addressed the issue nor if the backlog has been reduced. However their installers do have a number of responsibilities, including to others who might be affected by their work even when they are not a Sky customer.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Sky have a dedicated contact number for communal systems; dedicated team on 08442 410 388.
      Call them to explain your concerns.

For Sky Q a Sky Q ready block gets fitted to the an existing communal system, a DSCR switch that can be placed at any of the existing distribution points.
      This would allow anyone from that point to get connected to Sky Q.
      This would not affect anyone currently on the working system, but would obviously allow them to upgrade to Sky Q.

Sky have an account manager that manages the third party approved installers, dates and additions.
      But, approved installers are responsible for the surveys, quotes and contacting the communal landlord or agent.
      Only then can installation take place with approvals.
      Sky have a Quality Assurance Team that monitor all this.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

They are now called Smart Hybrid LNB and any of the 6 ports can be used for Sky Q or Freesat etc.

The very first version of the so called Hybrid LNB did have 4 ports for Freesat and 2 for Q but they have been replaced with the above "Smart Hybrid LNB"

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      A Hybrid LNB has 2 ports for Sky Q and another 4 ports for Freesat, since you're not supposed to use a Sky+ HD STB any more. Sure some people do, but no longer on an active account.
      Scubbie likes this.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Ridcully is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      With Sky Q the 2 LNB ports are used so that 1 is for vertical channels and the other for horizontal channels. I believe this is similar to a distribution system.
      On my distributed system its one cable, from the switch (four from LNB to switch). The advantage of this is that it's not specific to Q. Even HD boxes can be set to dscr / single feed and still record / watch two channels off the single feed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ridcully View Post
      On my distributed system its one cable, from the switch (four from LNB to switch). The advantage of this is that it's not specific to Q. Even HD boxes can be set to dscr / single feed and still record / watch two channels off the single feed
      Yes this is possible with some distributed systems or communal dishes, as they are more commonly referred to.

In most cases a single dish supplies each home. With this setup a single LNB, with multiple ports, is used to supple two feeds to the Q Box.