Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Q Audio sync issues

This is a discussion on Sky Q Audio sync issues within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; My Sky Q Silver box suffers from audio sync problems. Its connected to a Samsung 48" curved 4k TV that ...

mrkis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Belkin Padavan
      Sky TV: Sky Q silver
      Thanks

Sky Q Audio sync issues

My Sky Q Silver box suffers from audio sync problems.
      Its connected to a Samsung 48" curved 4k TV that worked perfectly with the old Sky HD.
      The Audio is behind the picture (delayed).

When I connect the SKy Q box directly to the Samsung curved Soundbar you can hear the problem: The TVs speaker's play the delayed sound over the perfect sound from the Soundbar and it sounds like an bad echo.
      None of the settings changes seem to improve it.
      Unfortunately, when connecting the SKY Q directly to the Soundbar it no longer turns on or off with the TV (like it should) and the volume control doesn't work from the SKY remote - so I need 2 remote controls to do anything.

This means I have to choose; audio out of sync or a loose all the device on/off sync which was the reason I purchased a Samsung Soundbar to match the TV.

Anybody have any suggestions?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Q Audio sync issues

Get yourself a Harmony remote and it can be configured to control everything. They are priced from about 35 to over 200, buy what you can afford. I have the cheapest one and it suits me well.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrkis View Post
      My Sky Q Silver box suffers from audio sync problems.
      Its connected to a Samsung 48" curved 4k TV that worked perfectly with the old Sky HD.
      The Audio is behind the picture (delayed).

When I connect the SKy Q box directly to the Samsung curved Soundbar you can hear the problem: The TVs speaker's play the delayed sound over the perfect sound from the Soundbar and it sounds like an bad echo.
      None of the settings changes seem to improve it.
      Unfortunately, when connecting the SKY Q directly to the Soundbar it no longer turns on or off with the TV (like it should) and the volume control doesn't work from the SKY remote - so I need 2 remote controls to do anything.

This means I have to choose; audio out of sync or a loose all the device on/off sync which was the reason I purchased a Samsung Soundbar to match the TV.

Anybody have any suggestions?
      The Sky Q has an audio sync change option and surely your TV has this too?
      My Sky Q is on HDMI to LG TV and then optical-audio output to LG Soundbar and this does cause some audio delay issues.
      I use my TV's audio sync option as I found it more accurate than Sky Q's.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

adamjackdrew is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wells
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 4
      Router: BT SmartHub 6
      Thanks

I don't know if this'll help, but we have the UE55KS9000 Samsung TV (55" 4K curved) and had similar issues. Our issue was with the normal Sky+HD (Q coming in a few weeks), so we disabled Dolby Digital output via HDMI from the menus on the Sky box and that seemed to fix the issue. I'll check the full settings when I get home later - but there are also Dolby Digital, PCM, Bitstream settings in the TV's menus that may also help.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks bubblegun but this option only allows me to further delay the audio and make the issue worse

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adamjackdrew View Post
      I don't know if this'll help, but we have the UE55KS9000 Samsung TV (55" 4K curved) and had similar issues. Our issue was with the normal Sky+HD (Q coming in a few weeks), so we disabled Dolby Digital output via HDMI from the menus on the Sky box and that seemed to fix the issue. I'll check the full settings when I get home later - but there are also Dolby Digital, PCM, Bitstream settings in the TV's menus that may also help.
      Thanks Adam, removing the Dolby digital does improve things slightly but the issue remains
      Some channels seem worse than others and it is definitely connected to the HDMI output because when I connect the optical cable to the soundbar from the sky q box its much better
      Unfortunately the tv does not have optical in, only an out socket.
      I have tried all the TVs settings such as PCM and Bitstrem but they don't seem to have any effect.
      What should it be set to for Sky Q?
      t

Thanks

I've not yet had my SkyQ installed (2 weeks to go...) so couldn't say which setting it should be on. For my HD box it's on Bitstream, as it is on my UHD Blu-Ray and Apple TV. I'll have a tinker with my set and see what else comes up. There is a software update available for some Samsung TVs, so may be worth checking - it's available for mine, but mine is refusing to find it at the mo (and I'm Mac based so can't download the EXE from Samsung to install). Gah...never mind.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I tried all the options from PCM to bitstream and they all worked. As the soundbar does not show what signal it currently has (Dolby digital or stereo) I couldn't tell if changing from Bitstream to PCM had any effect or not.

As for the software update for the TV, I did try to get an update but it seems the TV was up-to-date. It is internet connected so I presume it auto updated at some point.

Still choosing between synced audio and being able to control all the devices from the sky remote. What a pain, everything was fine under Sky HD.

Thanks

Now that I have had Q installed I can comment more. I played around with Dolby Digital and switching it on, indeed, caused voice sync issues. Switched it back off and all OK. Check to see if voice delay is at 40ms, as mine is. Out of interest, what model TV and soundbar do you have? Mine are UE55KS9000 (running the 1165 software) for the TV and HW-J7500R for the soundbar. Soundbar is connected via SoundConnect (which I believe is Bluetooth), but there's also a Wi-Fi way as well...which I tend to use primarily for the Blu-Ray player.

I'll keep playing to see if there's anything else that turns up.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrkis View Post
      thanks bubblegun but this option only allows me to further delay the audio and make the issue worse
      Can't you change the sound in a + or - direction. Surely you can balance this between the Sky Q output and the TV output to give the best balance.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast