Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

"Software Issue" for all recordings - then they freeze/pixellate

This is a discussion on "Software Issue" for all recordings - then they freeze/pixellate within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Suddenly started. All recording appear failed with "software issue". They do play but seem to freeze every 5 mins and ...

psychocandy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: rhiwderin
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

"Software Issue" for all recordings - then they freeze/pixellate

Suddenly started. All recording appear failed with "software issue". They do play but seem to freeze every 5 mins and then pixellate then be ok for another 5 mins.

Tried software update and it said successful but still the same. Any ideas?
      Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Re: "Software Issue" for all recordings - then they freeze/pixellate

The first place to check would be the alignment of your dish and the coax cable from the dish to your Q Box. If there is something wrong there, heavy winds, trees blocking the view (normally an issue in Spring or early summer).

Things to check on the coax cable include integrity, water damage, something bending it sharply or pinching it. Make sure it's plugged in securely and that it isn't working loose from the F-Plug. Also ensure the F-Plugs are correctly fitted.

Failing all that, it might sound a little early, but I wonder if the HD is failing or you might need to perform a planner rebuild.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The first place to check would be the alignment of your dish and the coax cable from the dish to your Q Box. If there is something wrong there, heavy winds, trees blocking the view (normally an issue in Spring or early summer).

Things to check on the coax cable include integrity, water damage, something bending it sharply or pinching it. Make sure it's plugged in securely and that it isn't working loose from the F-Plug. Also ensure the F-Plugs are correctly fitted.

Failing all that, it might sound a little early, but I wonder if the HD is failing or you might need to perform a planner rebuild.
      All looks ok to me. Never had a problem before with this either.

Also, its just new recordings. Old ones are fine - and there are also no problems watching live.

I too suspect disk. How to do a planner rebuild? And does it delete existing recordings at all?

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

By the way, there is no planner rebuild on sky q.

Have seen a few Sky Q users in the past report the problem you are having.
      You say it has started suddenly.
      Assume you have restarted your box from a power off? This can cure the problem.
      Have you recently moved or placed anything new around your main sky q box?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (14-02-17)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      By the way, there is no planner rebuild on sky q.

Have seen a few Sky Q users in the past report the problem you are having.
      You say it has started suddenly.
      Assume you have restarted your box from a power off? This can cure the problem.
      Have you recently moved or placed anything new around your main sky q box?
      Yes started Saturday (affected recording of the WalesvEngland rugby!) and then every recording since.

Power off restart made no difference. I did try a software update - it said succeeded but the version didnt change. IS there a way to force this?

Not moved or done anything with skyq box. Unless the cat has been behind there lol.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
      Yes started Saturday (affected recording of the WalesvEngland rugby!) and then every recording since.

Power off restart made no difference. I did try a software update - it said succeeded but the version didnt change. IS there a way to force this?

Not moved or done anything with skyq box. Unless the cat has been behind there lol.
      If you have the current software version, it will still go through an update but make no change to version. That is the way to bring down a software update.
      Latest software version if want to be sure is Q003.001.45.00L (4lvm0pw) that was sent out around 13th December 2016.

Can you try recording while watching live on Sky News and Sky 1 by pressing the sky remote record button for say 10 minutes recording time and then playing back the recording from your sky q recordings.
      Does it still happen?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      If you have the current software version, it will still go through an update but make no change to version. That is the way to bring down a software update.
      Latest software version if want to be sure is Q003.001.45.00L (4lvm0pw) that was sent out around 13th December 2016.

Can you try recording while watching live on Sky News and Sky 1 by pressing the sky remote record button for say 10 minutes recording time and then playing back the recording from your sky q recordings.
      Does it still happen?
      Ah right. Think I've got latest version then.

I'll try this as you say.