Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hard Disk Failure

This is a discussion on Hard Disk Failure within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have bee expecting a disk failure with the way it is used - it certainly does a lot of ...

bursco is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01257
      Broadband ISP: EE Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Skyq silver
      Thanks

Re: Hard Disk Failure

I have bee expecting a disk failure with the way it is used - it certainly does a lot of work and someone has written good software for the drive to use. Wish the rest of the software worked as good.

2. Advertisement
      pooley91 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mosborough
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

The saga continues ......

So I spoke to Sky and they knocked 21 off my next bill.

Engineer was booked for the 18th December (tomorrow), but I got a text to say they could bring it forward to 8am to 1pm on the 17th. I accepted that as it worked better for me. Then randomly, late yesterday afternoon I got another text to say the Sky Engineer will arrive on the 17th between 1pm and 5pm !!!!

OK I'm only tiling the bathroom so I'll be in all day and thought I'd leave it rather than contact Sky and complain.

Then at 2pm today (the 17th) I get a call from Sky to say the Engineer is sick so can't make it today and they've offered me another appointment at the earliest possible time - Thursday the 22nd !!!

I've accepted this and I'm currently on the phone to customer services having a bit of a rant. All they can do is offer me another 11 off for the loss of service to the 22nd, and a Sky Store voucher or 10 off Sky Sports for 12 months. Told them I'm not bothered about any of that as I don't have Sky Sports currently and don't want to give them any more money.

Sat on hold now while she talks to a "manager" to see what else they can come up with .

EDIT: best they can do - 1 months free Sky Sports !!! Told her I'm not happy as if I was a new joiner to Sky there are better offers available - I've been with them nearly 17 years and paid them a lot of money in that time. I'm on hold to "cancellations" apparently to see what they can offer.

DEAL OR NO DEAL: 20% off for a year - better than a slap with a fish
      Last edited by pooley91; 17-12-16 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Additional info

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Wear and tear + wasted energy. I have "told" my box not to record "pushed content" but still it does, you can hear the disk spinup and down when the box is in standby and no scheduled recordings are taking place. It must lead to premature disk failure. Although you have just been unlucky for it to have failed this soon.

Kemp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woburn
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2 (↓78mb ↑25mb)
      Router: BT Smarthub
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB +Mini
      Thanks

Sorry to say it but 20% off for 12 months is a bit s**t. I got that simply for enquiring about Sky Q and then telling them I won't bother as it was too much money in comparison to Sky HD. They then said they'd make it the same price by taking 20% off for 12 months and on top of that they gave me a cut price on the hardware.

Given what you have gone through I'd have expected more.

pooley91 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mosborough
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

So Thursday morning came, as did 2 Sky engineers ( in separate vans !). They replaced the box and the connectors from the LNB as they said they hadn't been done very well. They left after an hour and all was working great.

Now it's Friday night and I've just got in so thought I'd watch a little TV before I retire - but nothing !!!! Turn the silver on and am greeted with a message " there is no hard disk". Tried to view normal TV and get an error "there is no broadband signal". Went to bed and turned the mini on - just get a black screen.

Tried it on the iPad - get a message telling me that I am connected to a different Sky Q box than previously (err, no I'm not).

Looks like another call to Sky in the morning - they'd better not tell me I have to wait 9 days again !!

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pooley91 View Post
      So Thursday morning came, as did 2 Sky engineers ( in separate vans !). They replaced the box and the connectors from the LNB as they said they hadn't been done very well. They left after an hour and all was working great.

Now it's Friday night and I've just got in so thought I'd watch a little TV before I retire - but nothing !!!! Turn the silver on and am greeted with a message " there is no hard disk". Tried to view normal TV and get an error "there is no broadband signal". Went to bed and turned the mini on - just get a black screen.

Tried it on the iPad - get a message telling me that I am connected to a different Sky Q box than previously (err, no I'm not).

Looks like another call to Sky in the morning - they'd better not tell me I have to wait 9 days again !!
      Gosh! Any chance of watching Freeview as a backup?
      Cheers

Kemp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woburn
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2 (↓78mb ↑25mb)
      Router: BT Smarthub
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB +Mini
      Thanks

Sky yet again covering themselves in glory here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12