Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Transferring recordings between boxes. How hard can it be?

This is a discussion on Transferring recordings between boxes. How hard can it be? within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by lettice I use mine all the time and works very well with a sky box connecting RCA ...

geoffwba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Barr
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Transferring recordings between boxes. How hard can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      I use mine all the time and works very well with a sky box connecting RCA cables.
      Mine is the Kworld USB Hybrid TV Stick Pro - UB424D. I bought that for 19:98 on 15th Sept 2011
      Have not seen that anywhere for sale for sometime, but kworld ahve been updating the firmware and software.
      Shame as it was 1080 HD and the software with it is excellent.

One that may be of interest and I have seen in action is the August VGB100
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...g=augustweb-21

One thing that may be of consideration is that your pc may not be next to the sky box.
      What you will need is to buy a 2metre ir even 3 meter RCA lead (Yellow/Red/White or Yellow/Red/Black) as the ones that come with these devices are normally quite short, probably just enough length from out of a sky box or video into the the TV above it.
      You could also use a usb extender, but that can add a little bit of interference or loss of quality.

That August one can record up to 720p HD, so the quality will be nice. It does work fine with Windows 10.

Have seen many of these in action over the years, so if you see a similar one, provide the details and I will have a look.
      Hauppauge have always been a good brand fro product in this area, but they tend to be pricey.
      Having had a search through my old equipment I find I've got an Arcsoft Ezcap USB 2.0 video capture device which has RF and S-video connectors which I think I should be able to connect to the Sky Box. The only problem then is that my PC is in the bedroom and my Sky Box is downstairs so I would need to find some way of connecting them , possibly by some Wi-Fi device? Once I have the recordings on my PC I can then either play them on the PC monitor or to the TV via my Plex Media Server software.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

I was looking around Amazon yesterday. There are some HD video capture devices which can connect to a Laptop or Desktop via a USB cable. Below is one such device that costs around 50.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001M0MY10

As for where your computer is currently, my suggestion would be to move it, if only temporarily, so that it is nearer your TV/Sky STB.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geoffwba View Post
      Having had a search through my old equipment I find I've got an Arcsoft Ezcap USB 2.0 video capture device which has RF and S-video connectors which I think I should be able to connect to the Sky Box. The only problem then is that my PC is in the bedroom and my Sky Box is downstairs so I would need to find some way of connecting them , possibly by some Wi-Fi device? Once I have the recordings on my PC I can then either play them on the PC monitor or to the TV via my Plex Media Server software.
      Oh great, that will do the trick. That should work fine on Windows 10 as I see there are Win 8 drivers, but you may find the win 7 ones will be fine for it.
      The arcsoft has composite does it not?
      You just need a long rca composite cable, plenty of 10 metre ones available for less than a fiver on amazon or a little more for a 15m one, like this;
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phono-Cable...s=10+meter+rca
      Be best to use rca yellow/red/white (or black) composite out of the sky box with that.
      For svideo you would need to use rca red/white (or back) audio cable anyway.
      Last edited by lettice; 15-09-16 at 07:46 PM.

geoffwba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Barr
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The only suitable suggestion I can make at this time is that you use a DVD recorder to make a copy of it all.

Alternatively you could use ExPVR to copy the programmes and films to your PC, but you'll only be able to watch content from Free-to-View channels.
      I've been looking into transferring my free-to-air recordings to my DVD recorder using the Sky Copy function and connecting via scart sockets. Am I correct in saying that the copy transferred to the DVD HDD will only be in SD, even though the original recording is HD?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Yes and you will only be able to transfer them in 'real time'. There is nothing technical to stop you copying encrypted programs in this way. I have had a few come up with a DRM error, but very few.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

geoffwba (23-09-16)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12