Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Q / Q Mini connectivity issues - to point of pulling hair out!r

This is a discussion on Sky Q / Q Mini connectivity issues - to point of pulling hair out!r within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated! Current setup: BT Infinity w/ BT Smart Hub(working great) all Apple Products (2ipads/4iphones)sitting on 5ghz channel 36(smart) ...

Scottex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01467
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Q / Q Mini connectivity issues - to point of pulling hair out!r

Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated!

Current setup:
      BT Infinity w/ BT Smart Hub(working great)
      all Apple Products (2ipads/4iphones)sitting on 5ghz channel 36(smart)
      Everything else on 2.4ghz channel 6(smart)

Sky Q Silver Box w/ 2 Sky Q Mini's - 1 in kitchen 1 in upstairs bedroom (house modern Built) - Sky Q installed April

1. A few issues during installation but engineers left with everything working.
      2 After about a week Mini's started losing connection to Sky Q box and or Network(smart hub). A hassle but was able to live with as we could get them to useable state.
      3. Sky Q box had a few freezes requiring power off/on. Hassle but recoverable.

Issues since end June/early July
      1. Noticed Sky Q box would constantly connect/disconnect from smart hub! Nothing attempted has solved the problem after trying almost everything on sky and bt forums/help pages.
      2. Re-installed bt hub 5 - no difference.
      3. Sky Q box works as far as satellite tv but anything else requiring wifi is a crap shoot. Go to Settings/Network connection if x'd go through screens till Reset then arrow back it is connected again. 5 - 30 seconds later no network connection.
      4. Sky Q Mini's have become pretty much useless now! Can go through reconnect on both mini's and if lucky 1 time out of 10 I get 1 to work. Of course next time I try to use it either does not see the network and the q box. Usually I have to connect direct to smart hub (which usually works every time) but 99% refuses to connect to q box!
      5. Have tried reset button, power off, power on, system menu resets etc. Actually seems to be getting worse.
      6. Tried changing wifi channels - no difference
      7. Tried splitting 2.4 & 5 to individual ssd's - no difference
      8. Shut everything down and sequentially re-started in order
      - smart hub
      - sky q box
      - sky mini 1
      - sky mini 2
      -- no difference
      9. After trying just about everything I have tracked down I am at a loss as to what to do next. Called sky support but after almost 2 hours waiting hung up! Support chat is also useless as they will just tell you to call the support number!
      10. Have some power line units so thought I would try a total power line connected option for all sky q boxes but will leave sky q box to run mesh network on 5!?

Sorry about the long missive but hopefully anyone able to offer any help I have included the basics of what is leading me to start becoming follically challenged!

2. Advertisement
      146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q / Q Mini connectivity issues - to point of pulling hair out!r

I also don't have a Sky router and had a few connection issues. I assigned all the Sky boxes an I.P. address in the DHCP settings on the ISP router rather than the Sky boxes picking up random ones for the last octet and so far it has been fine.

woppy101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q / Q Mini connectivity issues - to point of pulling hair out!r

Is your router locked to channel 36 on the 5ghz wifi? if it isn't the sky mini boxes will only use the 2.4ghz bandwidth and you will get connection problems