Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sky Q not playing nice with Soundbar

This is a discussion on sky Q not playing nice with Soundbar within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Previously we had Sky+. The setup was Sony TV, Samsung soundbar plugged via HDMI into the Sony TV on HDMI1 ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

sky Q not playing nice with Soundbar

Previously we had Sky+. The setup was Sony TV, Samsung soundbar plugged via HDMI into the Sony TV on HDMI1 which doubled as the ARC socket (the thing that automatically detects and uses the soundbar by default, if it's there), and Sky+ on HMDI2.

The engineer has left things as they were (at least, the relevant things are still plugged into the right sockets - I don't know if he's chan - now Sky Q sits in the previous location and connection as the old Sky+.

Previously, we switched the TV on using either the "on" button on the TV remote, or using the Sky remote - it would turn on, and the soundbar would automatically turn on and do it's thing - perfect.

Now we're having a right struggle to get any sound. Once it's on, unless it's been on and on mute for a loong time, it's fine, but getting it actually working is another thing completely.

I've tried having both Sky and TV off, and turning them on again in different orders - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've tried having only the TV on - no sound. Not even sound on the TV speakers, which is what is supposed to happen if it doesn't detect the soundbar. I've just tried it now, with Sky off, TV off, putting the TV on - no sound, not even when I switch the soundbar on manually, but then I switched Sky on and it automatically switched to the sky channel and the sound came on.

Could anyone shed any light?

2. Advertisement
      Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: sky Q not playing nice with Soundbar

Oh never mind - I've just found a TON of similar complaints (although I've not seen any Sky response acknowledging a problem). I can't cope listening to my hubby swear at the bloody TV/Sky anymore, I've just ordered the CEC blocker off Amazon. Not sure what I'll do if that doesn't work!

Having said that - this REALLY should not be occurring. To be perfectly honest, I kinda get the feel that Sky Q is still not a completely finished product. There are obviously still bugs, and I realise that sometimes these things don't get picked up until the product is out in the wild, but there are plenty of other things that makes the Q interface a lot less user friendly than the previous interfaces, that should really have been addressed before now.