Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Q is about to face its biggest challenge yet

This is a discussion on Sky Q is about to face its biggest challenge yet within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Well I didn't know that. Sky engineer said nothing. Thanks!...

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q is about to face its biggest challenge yet

Well I didn't know that. Sky engineer said nothing. Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      I always thought virgin cable had good coverage across the UK, but remember reading last year that they had only 45% and their 2015 investment would take that to 60% of uk households.
      Suppose, because of the nature of sky using satellite, it must be in the 90% uk household coverage, but many flat/rental/landlord environments may not offer it, making that figure lower.
      Saying that though a lot of the On Demand side of the sky service now relies on broadband and not sure if the Uk household for that is as high as 90%, 2mbps minimum download and 6mbps download for HD.
      I'm sure Sky used to quote a 98% coverage rate for the UK for Digital TV coverage. That was why they got the digital switchover contract - remember that? - government money to help give cheap Sky to poorer households who couldn't afford to buy new digital boxes.

I'm sure it's really 100% but the 2% was to account for account for trees, conservation areas, etc.

But to the original post this sounds like classic "vapourware" for now. There are cable boxes in the USA and on Libery Globals other networks that can better the number of simultaneous recordings but I'm not so sure they can rush out a software platform that works as well in such a short time.

It could be that Sky have been sitting on this platform for a while and it could be that Virgin have been building a similar platform for a while too. Funny though that Sky+HD has got better over the years but TIVO has got worse and is now going to apeing Sky+HD when originally it was the other way around.
      Last edited by bubblegun; 14-05-16 at 04:17 AM.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

My mate moved to VM and TiVO last year (his sky box kept failing). He loves recording 3 channels.... he finds the youtube app frustrating so moves to Amazon Fire TV for that.

I've had a play a few times and it just feels old and clunky. Lacks an intuitive menu to get around.

That said I can't get VM here, equally he can't get sky fibre at his. He wants SkyQ but needs to keep his internet with VM as he can't get fibre from his cabinet and is a looong way from his exchange for a decent ADSL service.

VM needs a box/EPG refresh and to roll out more!!!

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Having used VM services in the past, the bottom line for me remains that everything they deliver relies on 1 cable. So many areas are oversubscribed that at peak times you cannot get the speeds they advertise and if the cable goes down, everything goes, including TV.

The box can be funky as they like, their infrastructure is a joke and I would never go back.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

To be fair, my mate moans about the internet in the evening....200Mbps, more like 20Mbps which gets drained even more when his son is online gaming. He'd go SkyQ is he could also get Sky Fibre. Having seen TiVo and knowing how poor the fibre is in comparison to Sky, I wouldn't migrate to VM.
      stereohaven likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

There's nothing stopping him from getting Sky Q and keeping VM's Internet.

Ok the Q system can work a little better with the Q Hub, but ultimately there should be no harm in using the Q TV boxes on a VM Hub.

As for the Sky+ HD System, yes there has been some improvements over the past few years. Sadly there have also been a few boxes which have now bitten the dust.

The Thomson model was the first to be retired. They could never get it to support the on-line content and the new hard drive format. After that it was just a matter of time.

As each update after R005 came out, the Pace, Samsung and Amstrad DRX780 have each begun to struggle more and more. Sadly now there are no more planned updates for these boxes. I wouldn't rule out Sky issuing an update should there be a major change such as handling more Red button channels or a new transmission encryption requirement being added. Otherwise all the improvements now are targeted at just the DRX89x range.

This does mean that some of the as yet unpublished hardware changes can be utilised. This means that things can only get better.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12