Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Difference between Sky Q Sync app & Sky Go app

This is a discussion on Difference between Sky Q Sync app & Sky Go app within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I am due to receive Sky Q soon but would like to know what the difference is between downloading ...

dents291002 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01403
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Difference between Sky Q Sync app & Sky Go app

Hi, I am due to receive Sky Q soon but would like to know what the difference is between downloading programs in the Sky Go app and using the Sky Q Sync app for tablets? I appreciate you can easily download what you already have recorded in the Sky Q app but surely the Sky Go app does the same job? Also it's not really sync is it? I presume once you watch the program on your tablet via the Sky Q sync app, it doesn't then mark it as read on your Sky Q hub?

Im just eager to learn more about this and there doesn't appear to be any detailed explanation on line about this. Could anyone share a light on this? Thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement
      morgee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Q Silver Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Difference between Sky Q Sync app & Sky Go app

The Sky Q app can only be used when within range of your box whereas the SkyGo can be used away from home.
      If that's what you mean?

Thanks

Thanks Morgee, yep I understand that. What I mean is - they sound like they are doing the same job more or less so apart from "Syncing" with the Sky Q hub, what's the point of having 2 separate apps? What I am trying to establish I suppose, is why not just use the Sky Go app for downloading and watching content? Thanks for your time.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Good point, but you need Sky Go Extra to be able to download to a tablet. Sky Q does not have this limitation.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Aha! Ok nice one, valid point which hadn't occurred to me. I'm looking forward to getting Q installed and testing this all out to see what it can do.. Thanks!

tetrakm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky go lets you watch sky on the go. Also has the capability to let you download selected programs. Sky go is use file for Sky based programs. But other channels are missing and you have to use their own apps, if they allow it. On All4 is really usable. And those apps all have built in advertising. I noted that sky go lets you down load sky one programs and there are no adverts. Which is OK, except I find the sound quality really poor on my iPad. And have reloaded the app several times. I have never used the app to watch programs live.
      SkyQ app is a very different beast. It's a connection to your programs on you main Q box. It means if you are in the house and you are watching a recording or live program, you can pause and then move to the Q app to carry on watching. Then when you go back to the room pause again and start watching from your telly. Very very good. Only problem is the adverts! The Q app is fiddly to flick through the adverts . I would say Sky have a reason for this! But that is an annoying part of the App!

The best part is being able to download your recorded program. I say best part but to be honest there are so many channels and programs that are not available it's also one of the "bigged up" selling points, which has soured the system a tiny tiny bit for me. Apart from that it's great to be able to watch my programs anywhere in the house.

And you still get access to both app when you get the system so no worries if you prefer one over the other.